AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post by a longtime lurker (please go easy on me).

I saw this set at Tweeter in November when my father bought his 42" Panny ED. They were only showing an animated Disney movie on it, but the picture looked great. I noticed it listed at techbargains today and wondered whether the experts here have seen or evaluated it. I also found a positive review of another Tatung 42" plasma on a UK site similar to this one. Does anyone have an opinion of the Tatung P42BLTL? Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I tried to see the 42" at Tweeter. Not connected to anything and they didn't want to demo it. They told me it was only a TV set and not HD capable, etc... Very disappointed in the way I was treated. So is this just bait-and-switch, or were they afraid the picture looked too good for $2300? I see Tweeter's website has the 46" is on sale this week...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just had the Tatung 42" P42BLTL plasma delivered by Tweeter this Saturday.

Had originally purchased a Mits 48" RPTV but after three weeks the wife decided she did not want a RPTV in the hous. She's home all day and like to have the TV on while walking around the house so I figured I better let her make a decision on a new TV or I'd never hear the end of it.

We went over to CC & looked at TV's. She spotted the Akai 42" EDEF & decided right then and their that she wanted a plasma. I wan not to impressed with the Akai's IO options. I also snuffed around the AVS forum & did not see many positive posts on the Akai plasma.

Since we originally purchased the Mits. from Tweeter & still had 2 weeks left to keep or let go we drove down to the store to take a look at Tweeters offering's. They had the Tatung 24 P42BLTL on sale, I believe it was in the 2,200.00 range. Tweeter offered to pick up the Mits. & swap with the Tatung for no additional charges so we decided to go with the Tatung P42BLTL. Also picked up the universal adapter so that we could mount on the wall.

Saturday rolled around & the Tweeter truck pulled up at 8:00 AM. I had an 8 - 10 time window. The two installers carted out the Mits & brought in the Plasma. I had the living room torn up with cables & such so I asked the installers to leave in the box.

When I opened the box I was surprised at how heave the panel was. These plasma panels are not light. The panel was attached to a nice sturdy table top base.

The universal wall bracket was not so universal. I could not find my model listed so I had to spend some time finding the right holes to mount the hardware to.

Was happy with the avail. ports as well as the picture. The small speakers are OK but a full on HT system is a must. Something to consider on the low end EDEF plasmas.

Unable to find IR codes for my Tivo. Looks like I might be looking at a Pronto remote soon.

RM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rodney Frey
I tried to see the 42" at Tweeter. Not connected to anything and they didn't want to demo it. They told me it was only a TV set and not HD capable, etc... Very disappointed in the way I was treated. So is this just bait-and-switch, or were they afraid the picture looked too good for $2300? I see Tweeter's website has the 46" is on sale this week...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.