AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much in the way of tall & slender sub horn designs coming out like I thought there might be. So I find myself re-considering the TH-SPUD. This is not the Super-Spud that is all the rage. This is the dual eight inch tapped horn by Danley that is almost a couple years old now.

Or since Danley is waaaay out of my meager budget, I'm specifically looking at the DIY version of the TH-SPUD. I figure I could stack two in the front and another two in the rear of my room. These enclosures are just 11" deep and 45" tall. So it wouldn't stick out in the room, tripping people up. It would just be a slight eyesore.

But I haven't really heard many opinions about the th-SPUD. How do folks feel about it with the recent explosion of various horn subs lately? How will it compare?

My room is about 16' wide, 28' deep and 8' tall and opens up to the kitchen and upstairs hallway.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I made one, thing was a beast. couple hundred pounds. It got pretty damn loud but the size of it made me get rid of it. Ask anything you want.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolt /forum/post/18252880

I made one, thing was a beast. couple hundred pounds. It got pretty damn loud but the size of it made me get rid of it. Ask anything you want.

How was it for music and midbass impact, compared with other subs you've had?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/18252887

Didn't know they had a DIY version of that one, interesting.

Well, Danley doesn't have a DIY version. But it was copied by the DIY community a couple years ago. I'd prefer not to link the copy to this thread though. And it's not likely to be as good as the original Danley anyway.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie /forum/post/18252927

Well, Danley doesn't have a DIY version. But it was copied by the DIY community a couple years ago. I'd prefer not to link the copy to this thread though. And it's not likely to be as good as the original Danley anyway.

Ah, I see, that explains that. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I very briefly thought about doing it, but decided it didn't sit well with me to build something based on Tom's hard work using plans that were never intended to be made public or trying to clone it. Decided the right thing for me to do was try to learn it for myself, and then make my own attempt at the idea, and that's what's in my signature. But maybe that's just my opinion.

Speaking of the signature build, the snow is finally leaving the deck outside. I'm going to have to go buy me some wood soon

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf /forum/post/18252949

I very briefly thought about doing it, but decided it didn't sit well with me to build something based on Tom's hard work using plans that were never intended to be made public or trying to clone it. Decided the right thing for me to do was try to learn it for myself, and then make my own attempt at the idea, and that's what's in my signature. But maybe that's just my opinion.

Speaking of the signature build, the snow is finally leaving the deck outside. I'm going to have to go buy me some wood soon

I completely agree. But I've been unable to find anything else that meets my needs & tight dimensions. Wish Danley would sell kits for it.

Did you see this dual 12" TH?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwo...n-2x12-th.html

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I PM'd him a few days ago but haven't heard back. It's a little deeper than I'd like, anyway. Plus there aren't very many folds. So if I understand horns right (probably don't), that could mean it's not as "clean" sounding as other designs?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I'm working on a single Shiva X2 in a tall skinny box.

The enclosure is partially built, hope to finish this weekend and get some measurements.

It is a little deeper than the SPUD at 14.25, but is only ~2' by ~6'. It is smaller than a DTS-10.

I really am working on it, it is not vapor.

I may not be good, but I sure am slow.

·
Registered
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie /forum/post/18252978

I completely agree. But I've been unable to find anything else that meets my needs & tight dimensions. Wish Danley would sell kits for it.

Did you see this dual 12" TH?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwo...n-2x12-th.html

That looks more than interesting lol!! How much are the drivers? i would love to hear impressions about it

·
Registered
3,937 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Whats the DIY TH-SPUD cost to build? If you can build for and still come in less then the DTS-10, theyre a steal! Why not give it a shot. I understand its a rip-off of a danley design, but supposibly they use super speacial secret drivers so its not technically the same thing. Hows the response on them look?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf /forum/post/18252949

You might be surprised but copying what products people design is sometimes a great thing and it maybe Tom loves that its good enough that someone wants to make a DIY version. Almost every speaker out there has a clone somewhere. It will never hurt Tom in a business sense so I doubt he cares at all.

Now, if you copied the designs to make a profit. That is another issue.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecew /forum/post/18253354

Whats the DIY TH-SPUD cost to build? If you can build for and still come in less then the DTS-10, theyre a steal! Why not give it a shot. I understand its a rip-off of a danley design, but supposibly they use super speacial secret drivers so its not technically the same thing. Hows the response on them look?

As I said in the TH-spud thread its just math though. Unless danley patented the design that was unique to there design people should be able to build them to their design.

One of the reasons that the danley did so well is because it was so easy to put together. Not many people are going to go to the trouble of measuring and cutting the wood. Sure diy is cheap to do but look and it may take away from the subwoofer business but look at how much eD, epik and svs sell subs.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike /forum/post/18253132

I'm working on a single Shiva X2 in a tall skinny box.

The enclosure is partially built, hope to finish this weekend and get some measurements.

It is a little deeper than the SPUD at 14.25, but is only ~2' by ~6'. It is smaller than a DTS-10.

I really am working on it, it is not vapor.

I may not be good, but I sure am slow.

You've got me interested! Do you have a build thread? What's it tuned for, 20Hz?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/18253844

You might be surprised but copying what products people design is sometimes a great thing and it maybe Tom loves that its good enough that someone wants to make a DIY version.

I suppose we'd have to hear from Tom himself on that one... me, I have such a severe case of social anxiety disorder I prefer to go the safer (and much harder) "learn-it-for-myself" route

There were other functional issues I had with cloning the SPUD though... not wanting the knee at 20Hz being one of them. I kind of wanted something between the SPUD and the DTS-10 in the extension scale, and was willing to sacrifice some maximum output and top end response to get my 16Hz corner. I don't need 125dB+ in this room - I never listen to the system that hot anyway. As it is, I think the horn will still push 120, and that's ok with me. Gives me some headroom, but not so much headroom I'll never use it. It probably won't sound good above 80Hz either, but that's ok too.

I dreamed I was putting the horn together last night. It's definitely getting to be time to get that together.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley /forum/post/18254002

You've got me interested! Do you have a build thread? What's it tuned for, 20Hz?
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...pped-horn.html

lilmike hasn't posted the design yet, he wants to build and measure it to verify that what he modeled matches what he will measure

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/18253215

$231. http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=693

actually brandon, the diyaudio.com design uses the $80 JBL GTO1214

And finally, why do the dayton DVC's model so much better then the titanic lines in a horn configuration.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts