AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this movie? How's the movie itself? the PQ? AQ?

I decided to pick it up as a blind buy because Walmart had almost nothing in stock, they give half a shelf to HD DVD and BD combined...yet all they had was four BD movies and the rest of the shelf was EMPTY
at the bottom they had a bunch of HD and BDs but they were all old movies and ones I already have (hell out of the four on the shelf i had 3 already).

I also picked up Pearl Harbor, but thats more for demo material.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I agree, I always enjoyed it as an over-the-top campy action-comedy. If you are looking for (any kind of) drama ditch it. I actually thought the PQ was fine; it was a fairly low-budget film, and it shows, but there wasn't any noticeable artifacting r other compression problems. The AQ is (as usual) awesome with the uncompressed PCM.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I enjoyed this in the theater and got it on DVD. It is ridiculous and funny IMO. I love scenes like where the guy is watching TV and one after another, up to 300 laser targeting spots appear all around and on him. If you're not into wacky humor it would just be annoying though.

·
Registered
214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBuffett /forum/post/0

I've always thought the big hit was meant to be over the top. Its funny in the "this is so stupid" kind of way. Treat it like a campy action movie (ala Last Action Hero) and you'll enjoy it.

I agree

Gotta love Lou Diamond Phillips as the "bad" guy...

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
I really enjoyed the movie. I'd like to get it again, but am worried about the PQ.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plee /forum/post/0

I agree

Gotta love Lou Diamond Phillips as the "bad" guy...

Yeah, he's so over the top it's awesome. I liked this movie. Nice blend of comedy and action. Favorite bits were China Chow and the ransom demand scene and her Hari-Kari dad.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I love this movie. It's so over the top and it doesn't take itself seriously at all.

Add to that, China Chow. Too bad she hasn't done anything since. But she's a looker.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie /forum/post/0

I really enjoyed the movie. I'd like to get it again, but am worried about the PQ.

No need to worry, I got it yesterday and watched it.

I'm far from an expert that would look frame by frame but I watched some part at 3 feet of the TV and the picture was really good and sharp.

Now there is one point that struck me, when the very evil criminals are all waiting for the call of the stupid guy with their buster-Buster-BUSTER (tm) hahaha, the leader is smoking a sig and it fall off from his mouth (because he is surprised), just second after that as he move to the phone, the center of the screen is very clear but for some odd reason I notified a very strong blur all around to the point where one of the criminal on the left had his face become unrecognizable, it was like a ghost. That's the only place I seen that in the movie and I will have to get back my DVD to see if it is part of the picture as an effect so that we focus on the main character or if it is really a compression problem.

Appart from that, it seemed perfect to me (I have a 1080p set). When the Melvin receive the family of his gf, their clothes are really colored and the color almost attack you so much they are present. Everything is sharp, the lawnmowers, the house, the cars, the peoples. Nothing bad to say about it. No block even in hi object like the explosion at the start (I never noticed there were legs of peoples beside the pools before!) to the shotgun thru the glass table in the house.

And I love this movie, it's so...

Just look at the face Cisco do when he want to leech his bonus from Melvin that really worked his life for it! Priceless!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I didn't think the transfer was going to be all that great, but the PQ looked pretty darn good to me....but then again, I AM watching it on a measly 26in. Bravia.

As far as the movie itself? It has to be one of the more entertaining flicks I've seen. This movie needs a sequel just to get China Chow back onto the big screen

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.