AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just starting to evaluate speakers in the under 2k price range and this weekend I listened to the M&K LCR 55 speakers. They sounded fantastic, but since I've not listened to much else yet, I can't appreciate if they're good or bad compared to the competition. Today, I got a chance to listen to the KEF Q1s. I didn't seem to like them as much. This weekend, I'm planning on checking out the local B&W dealer. I've seen postings that seem to go on both sides of which are better between B&W and M&K. Personal preference, I guess. I'm interested in other's opinions on these or any other best 5.1 setup for under $2000.00. BTW- I'll be driving them with a Denon 3803 receiver and they will be used almost exclusively for DVD/Movies (perhaps games when my son is older).

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Bartstar

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
You should check out Klipsch, Definitive Technology, Paradigm and several other brands as well such as Energy. If you are so inclined, you should probably check out Ascend, Axiom & Rocket speakers (online brands, 30+ day in-home demos) as well.

I've not heard Paradigm, Ascend, Axiom & Rocket speakers, but they are highly regarded. I don't care for Klipsch sound, but some love them, so I included them as a brand to look into.

For subwoofers, I'd look into SVS and HSU as well as Adire for the utmost bang for the buck, outside of DIY (do it yourself). I'm partial to HSU myself, but you can't go wrong with any of the subs I've mentioned here. I'd avoid getting a store-bought sub as they really can't compete against SVS and HSU at all for the quantity and quality of bass you get for your money, IMHO.

I've got a pair of HSU TN1220HO subs and Def Tech speakers, just to let you know my bias. I use SM350 mains, CLR2002 center, BP2X surrounds, and BP1.2X side surrounds from Definitive Technology. My speakers by themselves (minus subs) were around your budget. If you go 5.1 instead of 7.1, you would then have enough to get a subwoofer like the HSU VTF-2 and stay right around your budget.

Sorny

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.