AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have anything to say about the new Digital Video Essentials DVD? Better than the old one? How does it compare to AVIA, etc....

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The new Digital Video Essentials is an excellent DVD. Mostly new and improved test patterns from the original. The audio is also great. Joe does a great job in explaining the many different aspects of video and how everything interacts in a system. There is lots of great footage to test your TV's capabilities. It is definately worth the money. It is still not that easy to navigate and I feel it is better suited for the professional and Avia is more appropriate for the beginner.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I really enjoyed the new DVE. I have only gone through the video section so far, but found it very easy to use and quite helpful.

The opening video section look fantastic on my DLP. I may use that as my sample video to show my friends when they see my DLP for the first time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
 Amazon has it for only $17.49 right now. I don't know if that is the regular price or not, but it is less than half of the price of the Avia DVD.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Personally, I was a bit disappointed with it.

I find the navigation of the disc to be quite a pain (the chapters are way too long, i find myself fast forwarding through thirty minute sections to find one little bit)... and navigation of the disc itself it also tedious.

It *does* have some good explanations, and i like that it addresses DLP tvs, although not nearly in the depth that i had hoped for.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think if you already have Avia or the original Video Essentials, DVE isn't all that necessary. However, I do like that it's updated for newer technologies, and Joe Kane goes into more detail explaining various things.

Navigation is a bit of a pain, however.

In the end my settings were slightly different with DVE than they were with the original VE, but within a few clicks of each other.

Best part: 480p. That it's a 480p disc (unless I'm grossly mistaken) adds a *lot* more than I thought it would. That NASA montage at the beginning was fantastic. And if it's 480i..... best 480i deinterlaced and scaled to 720p for my DLP that I've ever seen.

Rick

·
Registered
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Torsion
Personally, I was a bit disappointed with it.

I find the navigation of the disc to be quite a pain (the chapters are way too long, i find myself fast forwarding through thirty minute sections to find one little bit)... and navigation of the disc itself it also tedious.

It *does* have some good explanations, and i like that it addresses DLP tvs, although not nearly in the depth that i had hoped for.
I second that....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I looked at DVE for the first time last night. I find it much easier to navigate to individual static test patterns than the original but I was annoyed by the blah, blah, blah explanations in other sections that seemed to go on forever (of course, they can be skipped). I did like the wide 3 colors filter card on a single sheet instead of the old strip in the original and the 3 seperate slides in AVIA. The opening Shuttle scene is spectacular. I still think that AVIA is easier to adjust color and tint due to the pulsating color bars.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Quote:
I still think that AVIA is easier to adjust color and tint due to the pulsating color bars.
I agree!

I also found that you will get different results depending which Blue filter (they are a different color temp.) is used, but that I was able to get the same (Color level,Tint) results with AVIA or DVE using the same filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.