Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Does anyone own or have any opinion on the Samsung DVD-HD950 player? I went to a local store in Brooklyn, NY and they were willing to sell it to me for $170 with no tax. Doing a quick search on Yahoo it appears the price they are giving me is very good.

Thanks!

-Eric

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
which place is this? I might have to pass by and take a peak.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a small Chinese electronic store located on 18th Ave. and 64th Street. I guess the neighborhood would be consider Dyker Heights. I had to haggle with the guy to get him to drop the price though. I have not bought it yet, but I think I will this Saturday.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm in Brooklyn everyday. I was going to J&R today at lunch time to pick it up. I may go there this evening and see if I can get it for that price too. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric05
Does anyone own or have any opinion on the Samsung DVD-HD950 player?
Yes, I currently own an HD950. It's paired to my new Sammy HL-R5078. I've had the tv and the player for only two weeks now, but here's the rundown of my impressions of the player:

The Bad:

1) Tray Lock

I unfortunately have a bum unit, as confirmed by Samsung tech support. My player locks upon power-up at least 5 out of 6 times, regardless of what the player was doing before it was powered down. The front panel display reads "LOAD" or "OPEN" whenever this happens, depending upon what I did (hit power or open).

2) Doesn't Pass BTB Over HDMI

Several individuals have confirmed along with me that this player won't pass Blacker-Than-Black when outputting a progressive signal. To pass BTB, you must switch to 480i output over component or composite.

3) "HDMI Audio Not Supported" Message

If the tv you have won't accept a DD/DTS signal (such as 5.1 DD) via HDMI, then the 950 will display this message at the top of your screen for a couple of seconds every single time you start a dvd, go back and forth between the menu and a chapter, etc. You can disable all on-screen messages in the 950's setup menu, but the player will not remember your settings after you power down.

4) Bright But Illegible Front Panel Display

The 950 has a white-background display for showing chapter info and such. Looks cool until you dim the lights, which is when you learn that the display is almost twice as bright as your tv. I'm not exaggerating, it's bright. Trust me. There are no settings I'm aware of for dimming or turning the front panel display off, but I haven't made a mission of looking for that, either (I've had bigger problems). Also, the white-background display is very difficult to read even from a few feet away (dark grey characters on a bright white background).

The Good:

1) No Macroblocking

The HD950 has the Zoran chip in it, which gives it the advantage of not the exhibiting macroblocking enhancement typical of players with the 23xx series of Faroudja chip. I'd guess the Zoran isn't as strong as the Faroudja for pure scaling/deinterlacing quality, but you don't get the MB.

2) Great Picture Quality

Despite its inability to pass BTB over HDMI, I've been quite happy with the picture quality on most films. There were a few times where blacks seemed to just flatten out into solid pools with little shadow detail (eg, Harry Potter: POA), but with most material it delivers the goods for the price. It has a nice sharp picture (at least when paired with my tv), and I saw very few scaling/deinterlacing artifacts when having the player upscale to 1080i over HDMI. It stumbled a bit with some banding in Finding Nemo, but from what I hear that's a nasty DVD for that artifact.

Overall, I'm not sure what I'm going to replace my 950 with yet: Another 950, or possibly the Sony S975V (and take my chances with more tray lock issues) or the Oppo (and take my chances with MB). The not passing BTB thing keeps nagging at me, but the decision's tough since the tradeoffs at this price point are substantial: Although there's no perfect player out there, at the $200-300 level faults seem to be a bit more dramatic.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Just purchased teh HD950 and cant get any audio when using HDMI cable. Only get audio if use jacks e.g 1 video and 2 sound ( L&R). any solutions to this as it seem sto defeat teh purpose of getting HDMI as i cant hear anything.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOOPS_UK
I Just purchased teh HD950 and cant get any audio when using HDMI cable. Only get audio if use jacks e.g 1 video and 2 sound ( L&R). any solutions to this as it seem sto defeat teh purpose of getting HDMI as i cant hear anything.
Try going into the setup menu and check out how the sound output is - PCM vs Bitstream.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclou
Try going into the setup menu and check out how the sound output is - PCM vs Bitstream.
Right. If the player's outputting bitstream over HDMI (such as DD/DTS), your tv must also be able to receive bitstream over HDMI. If the tv can't, just switch to PCM and you should be fine.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I've been trying to get any response from R1 HD950 owners. Can the player play R0 PAL discs and forcing it to output the video as NTSC out of the box using composite, S-video, or component? So that by applying the hack, you can get it to be a multi-region player that's both NTSC/PAL compatible?

On the R3 in the video setup menu, there's a toggle option where you can switch between PAL or NTSC as your TV. I need to know if R1 has that option. The R1 manual says it doesn't but somebody says that manuals are not necessarily correct.

fuad

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteSimple
On the R3 in the video setup menu, there's a toggle option where you can switch between PAL or NTSC as your TV. I need to know if R1 has that option. The R1 manual says it doesn't but somebody says that manuals are not necessarily correct.
I don't have any R0 PAL discs to test, so I can't help you there. But I've been through the setup menus a number of times (particularly the Display menu) on the HD950 and I have definitely not seen a PAL/NTSC output setting. Sorry ... :) I'll double-check tonight to make absolutely sure ... if I don't post here again tonight on this it means that I've discovered nothing new. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Had one, wouldn't play any DVDs without using the remote hack, even using HDMI at 720p on my BenQ PE7700 DLP projector. Supposedly it was a dud. Once I did get the player working (again, only after using the hack), I wasn't impressed with the picture quality even after calibrating with Avia. The picture was either too blurry or overly sharp and noisy. I sent it back for a new one due to the HDMI issue but decided to go with a Panasonic S97 for the second try.

In short, I haven't looked back. Much better picture quality, more pop, more shadow detail, stronger colors. Even the S97 is limited by poorly compressed DVDs that are too long for one disk, especially when being blown up on a 110" screen. However, the S97 seems to let me watch a lower quality DVD than theHD950 before its unbearable to watch.

This worked out for me because my display doesn't show macroblocking issues when using a DVD player that uses the Faroudja chip (probably because the projector itself has a Faroudja chip). If you dig around through the threads and find that your display DOES show macroblocking when using Faroudja chip DVD players, then the Samsung HD950's Zoram chip is probably your best bet in this price range. This is assuming you're upscaling the image to 720p or 1080i, otherwise the Faroudja chip isn't being used and it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth317
If you dig around through the threads and find that your display DOES show macroblocking when using Faroudja chip DVD players, then the Samsung HD950's Zoram chip is probably your best bet in this price range. This is assuming you're upscaling the image to 720p or 1080i, otherwise the Faroudja chip isn't being used and it doesn't matter.
FWIW, on some players, including the Yamaha S2500 and Panny S77/S97, the Faroudja chip is being used over component at 480p, and MB may still be a problem. It wasn't for me with the S77 at 480p, but it was awful with the S2500.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Why dont you unhappy owners try the oppo?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deez
Macroblock enhance and lip sync...

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
LOL.....most, if not all of that has been resolved as of last firmware and on my display i never did notice any mb...just some LS and it is non existent now......

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Quote:
I did and its a keeper. ;)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Quote:
LOL.....most, if not all of that has been resolved as of last firmware and on my display i never did notice any mb...just some LS and it is non existent now......
MB is supposedly display dependent. If you never saw it, then latest firmware wouldn't mean a thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.