AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so close to buying a Sanyo XP21N after seeing the glowing reviews on projectorcentral.com. It has most of what I need : http://http://www.projectorcentral.c...m?part_id=1108

I am going to be using this projector in a living room mostly in the evening. So the 2500 lumens brightness helps. However I am concerened about 39dB noise. Compared to other home theater projectors this seems high. High bulb cost is also a bit of a concern and then there is non-presense of a DVI connection.

Am I sweating the small stuff? Is there, in your opinion a better home theater projector in the $5000 (street price) range?

Also would DVI help me with my distance problem? I cannot place my HTPC very close to the projector. I am afraid that extending the VGA cable too long might degrade the signal badly.

Thanks.

-Cheema

·
Registered
173 Posts
I saw it side by side with the Infocus 530. I prefer the infocus. After that I saw the 530 side by side with the LS 110. I liked the LS110. Then I saw the price of the LS110 and the clone Toshiba MT5. I bought the Toshiba MT5.

The Sanyo has screen door. The image of the dlp is stunning. Look at it before you buy the Sanyo. Also I think this PJ isn´t build anymore!

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you want a huge lightoutput, I´ll choose the Infocus 530. it has 2000 lumens. It´s the same as the Sanyo. I saw them side by side. But also withe the sanyo,. you´ll need to turn the lights off. With lots of lightoutput you only burn the colors out.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Infocus 530 has bad rep. of premature bulb blowing at 500 hours (general poor bulb design in the LP340/350/500/530 models. It has great video processing due to Faroudja. DLP is nice but 400:1 CR is not great for DLP. It also is noisy and needs $400 video module to support component. It does have DVI/VGA/Svideo as standard. 2000 lumens is overrated for Infocus (generally they exaggerates their lumens). DLP has rainbows for some people so go see it first before buying sight unseen. DLP has weaknesses of 1) rainbows, 2) weaker colors, 3) more heat and noise, 4) more light leakage (halo, etc.).

Sanyo XP21N is very bright but video processor sucks. Needs HTPC or scaler to look good. Although LCD it has MLA which lessens screendoor and improve brightness (still not as good as DLP for screendoor). It is noisy but hushbox is easily built or bought ( www.whisperflow.com ). With 2500 true lumens, gray (lower gain) screen like Stewart Grayhawk (0.9 gain)/Firehawk (1.3 gain) or Dalite HC (0.8 gain)/HCCV (1.1 gain) really helps improve already decent CR (600:1) and improve blacks. Gray screen also rejects ambient light better so looks better without total darkness (higher gain still will look brighter but can wash colors out faster with ambient light). LCD has weaknesses of 1) screendoor, 2) triple dead pixels and dust blobs (triple panels), 3) poorer contrast.

The newer DLP has 12 degrees mirrors with much higher contrast. Check out HP XB21 for XGA DLP, 1500 lumens, 1800:1 CR, DVI/VGA, component (with special $50 cable), quiet (32db), 3.5#, 2 speed colorwheel. Optoma H55 looks great by specs too.

Forget LS110 as overpriced, only wideVGA in resolution. Only good points are quiet, great video processing, and 16:9 panel. If you use HTPC it'll give you perfect DVD playback and image using Radeon video card (does not need great video processor in PJ to look good). 16:9 panel is nice too so consider the PLV60 wide XGA LCD and its clones (SE Cinema 13HD) for under $5K. Epson TW100 is another very nice wide-XGA LCD. Forget Sony and Marantz as their dead pixel policy sucks. Also don't rule out the Hitachi 5500 though their may be some purplish blacks problem (resolved with gray screen).

Thus, lots of choices for $5K or less. Good luck. Bottom line is 1) see DLP in person before buying to check for rainbows, 2) LCD should have good return policy to check for dead pixels, 3) If LCD is your ticket, go with 16:9 to prevent letterbox bars on 16:9 movies (thin bars on 2.35:1), 4) If DLP is your boat, go with new DLP for spectacular contrast, 5) Gray screen can help improve contrast and rejects ambient light. Don't worry about noise so much as hushbox can help. Don't worry so much about video processing if you don't mind HTPC or external scaler (more money).

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
In regards to the Sanyo XP21N still being built, per projectorcentral in this article :

The best solution for this is still, as it has been for the past year, the Sanyo PLC-XP21N, also sold as the Boxlight MP-38t. Yes, it is over a year old. No, it is not being discontinued. It is one of Sanyo's hottest models and it will be around for a good while longer.

·
Registered
370 Posts
XP40 is also very nice. for about 150$ more.

2600 lumens, DVI, but no MLA. (the screendoor was about the same than my PLV60, which is almost a non issue)

I had one for testing last week (QA for a client) and was impressed by the picture.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After Huey pointed out the HP XB31, I did some research on it and liked

what I saw.

I ordered it from sparco.com for $3501. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I will post a detailed review when it gets in.

-Cheema

·
Registered
350 Posts
You have to sit at least 2x screen width with the XP21N to avoid seeing screendoor (even with a GrayHawk screen).

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Quote:
You have to sit at least 2x screen width with the XP21N to avoid seeing screendoor (even with a GrayHawk screen).
YOU might have to but not everyone else. One main issue is the viewer's eyesight. Not everyone has great eyesight so screendoor can "go away" much closer than 2x the screen width.

Anyway, I second the advice of seeing DLP first before buying. Rainbows can be nasty

·
Registered
280 Posts
I watched my XP21N from as close as 12 feet from a 9 foot wide screen. Could I see screen door? Very faintly. Did it bother me? Not in the least, and I have keen eyesight. The gaps between the pixels do not have the look of black wire which made some earlier LCD's unwatchable; I was aware of pixels ONLY when I thought of the AVS forum, and at those rare moments, my comment to myself was always, "How could THIS bother anybody?"

Of course, we are all entitled to our pet aggravations. I myself have found a lot more aggravation in DLP's, even without being sensitive to rainbows.

For pure visual impact--color, contrast, snap, pizzazz--I have yet to see anything as hot as the XP21N, and I have seen ten digital projectors in my home (4 DLP, 6 LCD), and one CRT front projector.

Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
I couldn't agree more with Catullus, I found the Boxlight 38t to be one of the best in it's class. I sat closer than 2x screen width, and was very impressed with the near absence of screen door effects.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The only way you can see screen door at anywhere near 2x is on an all white screen. I have to be within 1.5x before it is even faintly noticable on DVD material.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Quote:
For pure visual impact--color, contrast, snap, pizzazz--I have yet to see anything as hot as the XP21N
Gotta agree with that. Saw one the other night and decided right then if I were buying one today in the price range, it would be at the top of the list.

Deane

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I am still in bewildered awe of mine. MLA makes screen door a non-issue. Colors-Wow. Best contrast I have seen. No rainbows. Objects look like you can touch them. Brighter than a son-of-a-gun.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
On the one I saw, I raised the three independent color controls up about 4 or 5 clicks. Then it really came to life. My favorite test scene is Independence Day, near the beginning where he is riding the motor bike down the road chasing the crop duster. That should look like bright sunshine. Raising them up a little really brought the scene to life.

Deane

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlindo

YOU might have to but not everyone else. One main issue is the viewer's eyesight. Not everyone has great eyesight so screendoor can "go away" much closer than 2x the screen width.

Actually, I'm with the everyone else who do not have perfect vision. You'll notice the screendoor more especially on bright scenes. Viewing distance is 1.8 times screen width of 72". Some here use a scaler with the XP21N which supposedly reduces screen door effect, only using a Denon DVD-2800 DVD player. Maybe I should've bought the Quadscan.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Walter,

I tried using two different progressive scan DVD players direct (without the quadscan) and there was some stairstepping on bright edges and such. It looked a little pixelly in just those transitions. Since I was brand new to LCD, I mistook that for localized effects of screen door. However, it went entirely away on HD material, so I started thinking it couldn't be the result of the LCD chip, since it wasn't always there. When I got the Quadscan, it went away entirely. Therefore, I attribute it to the internal scaler (not de-interlacer) of the projector (which the Quadscan bypassed by using the computer/VGA input). Now I can get much closer than two times screen width (more like one time) when necessary.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks Joe, hoping the Quadscan will go down in price since the CenterStage is already available. Or I'll wait for a used 220V Quadscan. Will change to a DLP projector when the 16:9 HD2 units are available.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.