Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just won this auction, I'm wondering what the general consensus is regarding the details. The projector looks to be in good shape and the seller says there are no burns on the tubes but I'm kind of weary as to why he can't get anything to display except the setup menu. I was thinking maybe it's missing the video input board since he was hooking it up to the composite input using a vcr. I don't particularly care if it's in good working order, I'd be happy if the tubes are in good shape so I can use them as a backup set for my PG9. It was kind of an impulse buy like a candy bar you pickup while waiting in line at the grocery store. :)

Anyone care to comment?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:EOA:US:2

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I hate it when they repeat 900 bazillion times: "I'm not familiar with..." or "I'm not sure how to..." or "I have no experience with..."

Kind of sends up a red flag for me. It's almost like they want to make sure they get that said enough times so that when you get it they can say "Oh, sorry, see...we didn't know what we were doing."

However, externally, the pj looks in good shape. Not a bad price either. Hopefully you got a good deal on that one. If not, do you have $1 left to buy a candy bar at the grocery store. :D If it's a bad deal maybe that would make you feel better

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Judinkes, or "julius" gets a lot of stuff from out of business places. He has been around for quite some time. I myself have bought from him. He moves enough material that they don't test anything. You never know what you get. He has NEVER sold anything with any kind of guarantee, and bidding on any of his stuff is at the bidders own risk. He seldomly gets projectors, and I believe him if he knows nothing about nec's. Regardless... it's worth it at that price. Even if you retube the thing. Best of luck, let us know how it turns out. BTW, I didn't buy it only because of fear of shipping damage. :)

Marc

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Everything does not add up.

How did he power it up, as you need a remote to do it?

If there is a remote, why is it not mentioned in the ad?

I would never believe anyone that says the guns are unburned.

You have to remove the lenses to see that, not unless it is burned badly.

I hate it when they say that the PJ looks good, but you are buying it as is. Which is it good or no good? They are trying to get top dollar, by telling you all these great things about it, but then again they do not want anybody complaining to them if it turns out to be a piece a junk.

Anyway it is probably a good deal, do not expect the guns to be perfect, there could be a little to moderate wear on them, as you can not see that through the lense.

The worst that could happen is you replace the tubes for $1,500.00 and you have yourself a new PJ.

Good luck.

Deron

·
Registered
251 Posts
YOU BOUGHT IT FOR A GREAT PRICE EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO REPLACE ALL THREE TUBES..ENJOY IT

JOHNBOY :cool:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Very good price, parts machine price, you can afford the new tubes it will need. I think, and I hope you'll follow this up when you get it, the green tube looked badly burned to me according to the pictures posted. In the portion of the green tube that can be seen that isn't whited out by the flash, the green color appears to have a brown over cast to it. To my eye, it looks exactly like a deeply burned green would look through the color filtering of the green lens. BUT the price is so laughably low, you can easily afford the brand new tubes.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
ebay investigated this guy several times. All you can say is buyer beware. He uses "stock" photos of items as if this is the item you are actually bidding on. Not true.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have 6 days off work so to avoid shipping damage and to save some money, I'm going to take a roadtrip to Ohio and pickup the projector personally. This will give me a chance to inspect it a little bit before I hand over the cash to make sure he's not using a stock photo in his Ebay description. It's about a 5 hour drive according to mapquest, so that's not too bad. I'll post the results of my journey upon my return.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I bought my first pj from him and it was a great deal, but I went and picked it and got to fire it up before I paid.

It basically had the same description as the NEC. It turned out to have almost new CRTs so it was a great deal.

Wait till you see their wherehouse, it's the bigest pile of electronics junk I had ever seen.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I've done the mid Ohio run....from Kingston, its a great drive, really easy and you'll really enjoy the scenery on the way. Beautiful country down there. Make sure you let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
If you end up not wanting it, I'll buy it off you. ..:)

Curt

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's that saying, "You get what you pay for". I picked up the projector yesterday from Tech Recovery's unmarked building beneath the overpass of highway 271. Julius sure has a lot of junk in that warehouse, must of been over 100 17" Dell monitors strewn about still in their original packaging. The good news is that the projector appears to work fine as far as I can tell. The hours on the tubes and chassis are just under 2000 assuming they haven't been reset at some point. The bad news is when I removed the lens the red and green tube have some serious burn with green being the worst offender. There is some nice phosphor burn in of the CNN logo at the bottom of the green tube. The blue tube has only mild 4x3 wear on it. When I fired up the projector the brightness was set at 50 but contrast was cranked up to 80, no doubt to compensate for the small amount of raster being used.

I will probably end up re-tubing all 3 CRTs, and sell it to a friend of mine. His house is just being built so I'm not in a huge hurry to do anything yet. On a side note, what is the best way to get something like this across the border from US to Canada. I claimed a very low value since I stated it was non-working. The customs guy seemed confused as to just what it was so that probably worked in my favour.

Andrew

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
1) The hour meter obviously was reset, way too wasy to do on NEC's.

2) The red tube does not need retubing, so leave it in to save some money.

3) Factory default setting for the contrast is 75, so this projector was not run that hard, just over a longer period of time.

Curt

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I'm going to sell my Sony 1272 on E-bay, after I stencil G90 on it and set the hour meter to zero. Of course I will claim I know nothing about PJ's and it is sold as is.

Does anybody need any parts out of it, before I sell it?

I love E-bay.

Deron

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Be careful if you post feedback to 'ol Julius. I gave him the nickname The Junkyard Dog because of his vicious verbal attacks on any ebayer with less than positive glowing remarks for his feedback page.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Macros: Thanks for the followup! You paid for a working parts machine and got just that. It was still a good deal. When you bring these over the border, just be very up front. Tell them exactly what it is, they don't really care, and if you have a receipt, they won't question it. They only want to know what it is for statistical information, there is no duty, only pst and gst, unless you get a customs guy who wants to know where exactly it was manufactured, then they may charge you 6% duty if you say it was manufactured in Japan, but most Customs guys are happy enough to know it came from the US and only charge tax.

** Its neat how you could see the burn clearly in the picture of the green tube. I've learned that if it kind of looks like maybe its a burned tube, it is most definitely a burned tube, they NEVER turn out to be just a dirty lens or a bad picture, if you think you see a hint of burn, then you can bet its burned pretty good.

If you find a source for cheap tubes please let me know, as I could use a big pack of them.

* It would be a service to others who will buy from the seller, if in your feedback you note it had burns when it was described as being burn free, its up to you whether that feedback is positive, neutral or negative.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
gn2: I figured the tubes were shot from the very beginning considering he wasn't asking any reserve so it was no surprise. Still, there is a little part of you that hopes that maybe it was just a bad picture or something was up with the lens and the tubes will be pristine. He did say they appear to be burn free but I'm not sure what he was basing that on. I think we all realize he was playing dumb in his description, and immediately realized the projected needed new tubes hence the lack of reserve. I will probably leave neutral feedback and definitely state the tubes were toast.

Julius wasn't actually there at the time, so I just dealt with a couple of his warehouse staff. Maybe I'm paranoid but I almost convinced myself that Julius doesn't really exist,he's just someone to pin the blame on when the cops raid the warehouse. Anybody every met Julius? To further my suspicion in his email to me he speaks of Julius in the 3RD person and then signs the email Julius. Or maybe I've watched too much X-files in my time. :)

I'm undecided right now if I should send the tubes out to be rebuilt by VDC or purchase new ones. Rebuilding is apparently a little cheaper, so I might go that route as long as the quality is close. If I find a bunch new for cheap, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I've actually talked with J Dinkes on the telephone about 2 years ago. He really doesn't have a clue about projectors, and only says the "no burns" because he knows he'll get a better price. If you can find someone in Australia willing to send tubes over with a small markup(say $75.AU per tube) they would be plenty cheap. I've got tons of manuals for the NEC PG's if you want copies, email me, I'll be in Toronto on Monday.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.