AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been listening to some new speakers, and plan on upgrading the sound system in my living room soon- Vienna Acoustics and sonus faber have really amazed me- I like thir sound and am looking at the webern for the front 3 and the bergs for the 2 surrounds. I was also really impresed with the sonus faber concertos, they are the only speakers my wife has actually commmented on as sounding noticeably better than what she has heard.

I guess these speakers are in my price range, and I would liek to know if anyone here has any other suggestions of speakers that would be better for the money. Just soe generals thoughts and opinions would be helpful. Thank you!:)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote:
I guess these speakers are in my price range, and I would liek to know if anyone here has any other suggestions of speakers that would be better for the money.
Over at audioreview.com, there was someone who switched from the Concertos to ACI Sapphires and felt the Sapphires bested the Sonus Faber speakers. Those, by the way, were the last generation Sapphires. The 25th Aniversary edition Sapphires are supposedly better. I can't comment personally, but have read many times that the Sapphires stand up very well to speakers costing significantly more. I do own Sapphires in my system and, for the first time, I am not suffering from upgraditis in the speaker area of my system. They ARE the best speakers I've ever owned.

Do a search here and read the reviews at audioreview.com and you'll get a better picture as to whether these speakers might float your boat. There is a 30 day audition period, so the only risk is shipping cost, but, if they're the speakers for you, the reward will be supremely superior to that risk, imo.

Mike, the owner of ACI, is really a great guy to work with.

Link to ACI

Link to reviews at audioreview

I'd really suggest you read all the reviews pretty thoroughly and keep in mind the new Sapphires have the reputation of upping the quality in several regards. Most of the reviews are quite thorough, but I'm going to include the shortest and least comprehensive because of the WAF and well...because I think it's funny.

Quote:
When I first got these speakers my wife said, "Wow, I really love the sound of them...they are so beautiful...they just make me feel so good...they make me want to do it."

·
Registered
15 Posts
Vienna and Concertos were my final candidates after many, many tests.

I was very impressed with the sound quality of the Concertos. I finally got them and I'm more than happy.

Concertos are your best choice if you felt something special with them.

Need more? test Polk Lsi9 or Dynaudios

·
Registered
437 Posts
The Concerto's are plentiful used so I would shop the price if that is your choice. The MSRP is pretty high (around $1800 I think but you should be able to find them for $1200 or $1500 w/stands).

I would also look at GR Research CRITERION w/ribbon tweeter for under $1500, ACI Saphire, Onix Ref 1, Ellis Audio 1801, Joseph Audio, ProAc Tablette, and Infinity Intermezzo 1.6 (Stereophile Class A) just to name a few other monitors. Audiogon.com is a handy site for resale value and there often are links to reviews.

You should be able to compare the Vienna and Sonus at a Tweeter store. I don't perceive Vienna as a very value oriented brand and Sonus used is more price competitive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm a fan of the Sonus Faber sound, but I went and listened again today with a fairly diverse set of music. I was listening to the Concertino, the smaller version of the Concerto. On acoustical music it was really good, but with some 'harder' music (Linkin Park), it wasn't very good at all. I was surprised at this, and it kind of soured me on Sonus Faber. I guess it depends on what you're into.

Right now I also happen to be trying some Emeralds from ACI. So far I'm pretty happy with them, although I am curious how they compare to the Sapphires. You might check these guys out as well, nice speakers from what I've seen/heard.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've always liked the Concertos. I now own Sapphires and absolutely love them. I think they are a significant step ahead of the Concertos in bass extension and impact, soundstage size and accuracy, dynamics and transparency. They still have that involving quality that Sonus speakers usually have. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
958 Posts
iansilv,

I was in a similar position w/my listening tests and ended up with Rockets. Very happy decision for me. If you like that sound, check them out if you can. www.********** Auditions can be found at www.audioenvy.com

Gordon

·
Registered
967 Posts
I just auditioned the Vienna Acoustic Webern's, and the sounded AND looked fantastic. This would be for a bedroom system, setup on-wall along with a 50" plasma. Looks are of very high importance, as this room is the wife's domain. :)

Does anyone have a source for a good price on the Webern's? Thanks.

Kevin

·
Registered
512 Posts
I heard a set up a few weeks back with the SCHÖNBERG's as mains and the Weberns as the surrounds. I agree with your assessment. I really like Vienna Accoustic speakers, but, to my taste, these were the best of the bunch I've heard, less veiled and more open. The place I heard them at was Magnolia and usually they have sales with a couple hundred off the SCHÖNBERGs. I will say that I still prefer my Sapphires as the bass extention seemed better, even though the SCHONBERGs are rated down to 40 Hz and the Sapphires at 42 Hz. and also given the fact that I wasn't listening to them side by side. Nonetheless, I did listen to the Viennas next to speakers costing almost twice as much and prefered them over the more costly alternatives. As far as I'm concerned, Vienna has hit a home run with their on walls.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In May of 1999, I purchased the Sonus Faber Concertos (front L&R), Concertinos (rear L&R) and Solo (center). I also purchased an M&K MX700 subwoofer (I had auditioned about 12 subs before this one suited my tastes).

Having owned my speakers for four and a half years, I can say that they are marvelous performers for both stereo and multi-channel applications.

I originally drove the speakers with a Sony 80es receiver. The speakers drew too much power and the receiver blew. So, I replaced it with a Denon AVR4800 in December of 2000 (which was a dramatic change in sonic quality). All of my cabling has been AudioQuest (Indigo - F & C, flat for the rears).

Originally, the speakers were bright given the source (Sony). However, they really opened up with the Denon. To be consistent, the Concertos and Concertinos really do need a sub for multi-channel applications (less so if you drive them with clean power).

I play all sorts of music-based material ranging from classical to bluegrass to heavy metal. Further, I play a variety of movies in the same system ranging from Sci-Fi to dramas to music concerts. I use my Sony 9000es as the CD/SACD/DVD player (I plan on upgrading this someday).

When I auditioned the Sonus's, I compared them to the Martin Logans as well as the Magnepan Planars. I found the Logans to be too harsh for my ears and I didn't care for the styling of the Maggies.

This week, I am upgrading the Denon receiver to a B&K AVR507. This will also be a huge leap in sonic quality once the system is broken in.

As I mentioned, the Sonus's like a lot of clean power. For my ears, I believe they are a great buy for the money. I can't speak about the ACIs. I personally didn't care for the Vienna's as they lacked the warmth of the Sonus's.

I hope this helps you in your decision making process. Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Groff
iansilv,

I was in a similar position w/my listening tests and ended up with Rockets. Very happy decision for me. If you like that sound, check them out if you can. www.********** Auditions can be found at www.audioenvy.com

Gordon
you were in a similar position -- in that you actually listened vienna acoustics and sonus fabers? did you decide on rockets due to $ vs. sound against the va and/or sb's? or did you only compare the rockets to lesser speakers?

i've read comparison of aci sapphires and onix ref1 to sonus but not rockets -- i've heard the onix rockets and in my opinion, they are not in the same league as the sapphires, sb, nor it's own expensive cousin, the ref1.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have Vienna Acoustics – Beethoven’s (L&R), Maestro (C), and Waltz’s for the surrounds. They do double duty for HT and music – and do a very good job at it IMO. The fronts are mated to a McIntosh amp and the surrounds to an Elan amp, the speakers can handle a lot of power. Doing sub-speaker duty is a REL Q401E with a 12†driver. Considering that I am hyper-sensitive to overly bright sounds, the Vienna’s were a great match for me – they are definitely not as forward as some other brands, which may or may not be suited to you. Some people do think they are too laid back, but I am not one of them. As the name implies, these speakers are great when listening to classical music. If you are a fan of Woody Allen movies, the center is very good at vocals. And if you are a sci-fi fan, the surrounds to a wonderful job with the effects.

I am also a fan of Sonus Faber, but I haven’t heard too many of their speakers. There are better speakers bang-for-the-buck speaking, but if you are looking for an aesthetically pleasing speaker design that can also perform, both are very good possibilities.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Both Vienna Acoustics and Sonus Faber make excellent products. Somewhat expensive, but excellent nonetheless. At this point, I'd have to know more about the specific models you are listening to for me to formulate an opinion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ebrigham
I have Vienna Acoustics – Beethoven’s (L&R), Maestro (C), and Waltz’s for the surrounds. They do double duty for HT and music – and do a very good job at it IMO. ... Considering that I am hyper-sensitive to overly bright sounds, the Vienna’s were a great match for me – they are definitely not as forward as some other brands, which may or may not be suited to you. Some people do think they are too laid back, but I am not one of them. As the name implies, these speakers are great when listening to classical music. If you are a fan of Woody Allen movies, the center is very good at vocals. And if you are a sci-fi fan, the surrounds to a wonderful job with the effects.

I am also a fan of Sonus Faber, but I haven’t heard too many of their speakers. There are better speakers bang-for-the-buck speaking, but if you are looking for an aesthetically pleasing speaker design that can also perform, both are very good possibilities.
My sentiments exactly! I listened to a bunch of speakers very recently in the $3000/pair range. I wanted musicality and clarity for stereo music listening and high quality HT. My choices ended up with the Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home and the Vienna Acoustic Mozarts. I ended up with the Vienna Acoustics (matched with Maestro center and Waltz surrounds). I have been very happy with the performance. I have the same hyper-sensitivity to high frequencies that ebrigham does (do you sometimes get a headache from ultrasonics used in retail store shoplift detection systems?) For my hearing sensitivity, the V-A's were perfect. The deciding factor for me was the home theater side of the equation. The Maestro totally kicked butt on the S-F center. Beautifully clear, nice dynamic range, good matching.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by klmonline
My sentiments exactly! I listened to a bunch of speakers very recently in the $3000/pair range. I wanted musicality and clarity for stereo music listening and high quality HT. My choices ended up with the Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home and the Vienna Acoustic Mozarts. I ended up with the Vienna Acoustics (matched with Maestro center and Waltz surrounds). I have been very happy with the performance. I have the same hyper-sensitivity to high frequencies that ebrigham does (do you sometimes get a headache from ultrasonics used in retail store shoplift detection systems?) For my hearing sensitivity, the V-A's were perfect. The deciding factor for me was the home theater side of the equation. The Maestro totally kicked butt on the S-F center. Beautifully clear, nice dynamic range, good matching.
I definately get headaches from some of those noises/frequencies. Sometimes people look at me funny when I wince. I used to think it was in my head until I started being able to identify the source - usually from electronics. Not a big deal, but does play a role in my speaker buying choices...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iansilv
I have been listening to some new speakers, and plan on upgrading the sound system in my living room soon- Vienna Acoustics and sonus faber have really amazed me- I like thir sound and am looking at the webern for the front 3 and the bergs for the 2 surrounds. I was also really impresed with the sonus faber concertos, they are the only speakers my wife has actually commmented on as sounding noticeably better than what she has heard.

I guess these speakers are in my price range, and I would liek to know if anyone here has any other suggestions of speakers that would be better for the money. Just soe generals thoughts and opinions would be helpful. Thank you!:)
I personally love the fabers when married to the correct equipment; however I never auditioned VA's. Concertos were my favorite sub 2k monitor for quite a while. Internet based companies like ACI, Tyler Acoustics make some very high value speakers but its difficult to audition them. ACI with the Sapphire, Jaguar (always wanted jaguar 2000's but never pulled the trigger) I currently own Tyler Acoustics taylo ref monitors at 1800.00 and cant say enough good things about them. They sport some of the nicest drivers, crossovers, wiring found in any speakers at any price, The refs come through with the 9900 Revelator, Magnesium Seas mid bass,. Ty also offers the mini monitor (1300.00) with the same magnesium Seas mid bass but 5.25" with the 9500 Scan-speak (Will install 9900 revelator optional) The taylo center is amazing. Don't rush, do some research, , dig up reviews, try to audition these two companies offerings.

http://tyleracoustics.home.mindspring.com/

http://www.audioreview.com/Main+Spea...5_1594crx.aspx

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have most of the concert line: solo home, grand pianos, concertinos, and walls running in a 7.1 setup with a REL STORM 3 sub, audioquest granite cables, denon 2900 dvd player and B&K AVR 507.

I can tell you that I've listened to the Viennas as well, they are a little more forward and open, they also have the fabulous silk dome tweeter that the sonus has.

I don't think you can go wrong with Vienna or Sonus, they are both great speakers and well worth the money.

Some advice I can tell you is, spend the money now on separates, these speakers like power, and they open up with really nice with good electronics.

If I had to do it over, I would of gone with Krell/EAD instead of B&K.

Some other good speaker brands: Dynaudio Contour series, B&W Nautilus series, Revel F50s, Martin Logans.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sevenfeet
Both Vienna Acoustics and Sonus Faber make excellent products. Somewhat expensive, but excellent nonetheless. At this point, I'd have to know more about the specific models you are listening to for me to formulate an opinion.
I basically agree with Sevenfoot's points. However, I'd raise a slightly different point: it all depends on how the speakers interact with your room (and as a secondary effect, your electronics). When you're spending this kind of money on speakers, politely but firmly demand some sort of in-home trial: either leave a credit card number (or other security deposit) and try them for a couple days, or purchase from somewhere with a no questions asked return policy (potentially buying both and returning one of them).

Around here, MagnoliaAV carries both brands -- as both SF and VA are distributed by Sumiko in the US, it's likely that other dealers will also carry both of them.

Good luck, and enjoy your new speakers, whatever you choose!

Drew Dean

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.