AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 5.1 systems in the house (living room and bedroom) on Yamaha RX-V673 and V777 AVRs. In both locations, the seating position is against the back wall, so I don't have rear surround speakers. So the only obstacle is the cost and the effort to install them.

Anyone want to comment on whether they think that Front Presence speakers worth having? For both music and movies?

I've searched a bunch of threads and hadn't really found any feedback that convinced me one way or the other, so please, if anyone has any experience they want to share, please do!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am not expert but I wonder if you would be referring to an atmos type system? I know they require down facing or up facing, but I believe the theory is to provide different angles for certain sounds to arrive in different ways and times. I also wonder if you couldn't make and angled recess speaker that may also help. I am not sure how many listening positions, or the wide range of spots. Think of a doorway if you are looking down from the top. if you opened the door it would create the needed angle but stay recessed. This may require a custom build or maybe they make such a wall mount speaker. Again back to the group size or room issues. If it was my house I could almost leave the tv speakers on for everyone else and switch to my stereo for me. I say this because I moved all my HT stuff to the garage because I am the only one who cares. My suggestion would be to see if your room could be set up for a single chair out from the couch, that could be removed. like a game chair. You could reconfigure the speakers to be run at that spot with rear surrounds and side. Again this may only work for one or 2. I did this when it was in my living room. I had the rear speakers on stands and when watching a movie I would take them from the front walk and place them in the correct spot behind the chair.

For me I find I enjoy front presence speakers only for a short period of time. For studio music or music not designed for surround I prefer 2 channel or 2.1 depending on the speakers and music. If its live or produced for surround 5.1. The other thing is minimize comparison listening. If it sounds good to you then stick to it. I find that the more I get into this the more I realize the wholes in my system.

I have heard various systems like bose, soundbars and I had an older kenwood system that had presence speakers built into the main speakers. The main issues for me is the lack of depth to the sound. The lows and highs may be clear, but it sounds tin'y(not sure how to spell tin-e not tiny). So when you listen to a bose system or a proper regular system I can hear the depth missing. Until I heard a good system I thought the best sound was always headphones.

As I said I am not an expert but figured I could offer my thoughts. Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have two 5.1 systems in the house (living room and bedroom) on Yamaha RX-V673 and V777 AVRs. In both locations, the seating position is against the back wall, so I don't have rear surround speakers. So the only obstacle is the cost and the effort to install them.

Anyone want to comment on whether they think that Front Presence speakers worth having? For both music and movies?

I've searched a bunch of threads and hadn't really found any feedback that convinced me one way or the other, so please, if anyone has any experience they want to share, please do!
I installed Front Presence/Height speakers last week in my HT v2. So far I'm very happy with the choice.

Having just moved I had to redo my HT install so there were choices to make. In my previous set up I had contemplated putting up the presence speakers with my RX-V1900 but went with rear surrounds instead. I always sort of regretted not wiring for the option later after I closed up those walls.

This time around I decided to go for it since I was going to go a different route for the rear surrounds (in-ceiling). I had the bookshelfs placed up over the Front L/Rs but I really wasn't hearing much with them on the 1900 as presence. Manual said it would flip between those and the rear surrounds as needed since it only processed 7 channels, but I never caught them being on.

Over the weekend I picked up the A3040 and that's when the Heights really came alive. Now I can hear audio from them including dialog lift.

Installers really didn't want to do the Heights and suggested it wasn't a good idea. I knew Atmos was suggesting in-ceiling for Top Front instead of Front Height, but I figured I'd have more general use from the Heights than down firing overheads and if I hated it I could always take them down later and patch the small holes.

After the install they agreed that it actually turned out well and framed the front wall / projector screen nicely. Now that I've got the 3040 going I'm even happier with the decision.

If you have a limited chance to set them up now and decide later then I'd say at least go for the wiring. I previously regretted not giving myself the option to decide later.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm in kind of a similar situation, in that we're painting the bedroom and putting up crown molding. I'm going to build custom surrounds in the back corners and run wiring behind the molding. This this is the time to do the FP as well; sure not going to take the molding down I the future for more wiring. I guess I could just run the wires now no matter what, but it's still easiest if I make the decision to use FP speakers before doing the room renovation. It might be worth building some temporary speaker shelves up front now and trying it out now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in a similar position, looking for some wall-mountable speakers for presence, hooked up to a CXA5100. Seems like not many options exist and I can't seem to find a definitive answer on what will work best. I've found these from monitor audio, http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/soundframe/sf1 which have excellent WAF but would like to know if they're suitable for presence. Anyone got opinions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts