AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would greatly appreciate opionions on the PRO-900X with a Native Rate Scaler. I would like to know what the NR series technology does when combined with the Zenith Pro-900X. I have an old Vidikron Image Two A witha VP-20 Line Doubler. I would love a little education on the NR series units and what they can do. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased an NR in January for my 3 year old Pro-900x with a 52x92" screen and can't say enough good things about the performance improvements over all the mid-priced units I've owned and seen with the Zenith. I owned a CSI Deuce and also had a Quadscan Elite connected and have also have seen it with an I-scan Pro and Runco (don't recall the model) and the Faroudja presents an image that is greatly improved in detail, color accuracy, image depth and lack of motion artifacts over the other units, regardless of source (dvd and even cable tv).

The remote operations are a bit inconsistent and the unit's display screen makes an annoying whine while lit (the on time is adjustable so only a few seconds). These are the only minor complaints I have had.

Set up is easy, adjustments are numerous and have a fine scale (for detailed tweaking) and with a good dvd player (interlaced input only) a good quality anamorphic disc approaches hi-def quality.

The optimum scan rate for the Zenith is around 35k (it was designed for 1080i hdtv) so a 600x800 rate from the NR is optimum for the Pro-900x.

Suprisingly there is little difference between component and s-video inputs, at least in my experiences.

Overall I think it's a great combo if a 7" crt is your budget and preference.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I agree, the NR is one of the best processors that I have seen (and I have not seen them all), but then the projector becomes your weakest link...

Curt

·
Registered
30 Posts
I totally agree with BobC. I added the Faroudja NRS 600 X 800 to my ZEnith Pro 900X and had an identical experience. The display whines a little but it's behind glass doors so I can't hear it. And the remote is a little unique in that there is a delay in responding to on and off; and sometimes the button needs to be pushed again on some of the menu items. But I find a crisp push and release works best. The unit does a fantastic job. Just a little soft on sat TV due to more upconversion than DVD. I started with the Crystal Image scaler and wasn't happy. AVScience has a good price on the FAroudja unit. Call Jason Turk, he's very good to work with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.