AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had originally asked this question in my build thread and in the Acoustical Treatments Master Thread, but only got one response (thanks pepar!). I was hoping that this might get me a few more opinions.


When I first designed my theater, I had planned on using inwalls (Triad Classic Gold Inwall LCR's) in the front wall. I purchased the speakers based on that assumption. I later decided, for sound isolation purposes, that it would be better to sheetrock that wall and build a false wall (screen wall) in front of it for the screen and the LCR's.


Here's a drawing showing the room layout with the original wall and the screen wall.




I guess I have 4 options and am trying to decide between them:


1. Just go ahead and purchase inroom speakers. This would be pretty expensive and is my last resort.


2. Go ahead and sheetrock the false wall and cut the LCR's into that.


3. Mount the LCR's in the false wall without sheetrock and not worry about it.


4. Sheetrock the area of the false wall surrounding the inwall speakers and leave the outside couple of feet open. This is what I would prefer to do so that I could still place bass traping in the rear corners of the room behind the false wall and wouldn't require me to purchase new speakers.


Here's a schematic of option 4:



Here is my build thread with a drawing:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1043747


Thanks in advance,

CJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
I may be thinking of another model, but aren't those speakers sealed-inwalls? If I am correct there shouldn't be a problem with installing them into a false wall; actually if you read the spec sheets on that model it should tell you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/14252621


Also, at least look at on-wall offerings.



I have not done an in-wall in favor of on-wall speakers for well over a year.

Thanks. That would be one of my last options (from a budget standpoint) since I already own the inwall speakers. However, if it comes down to replacing them, I'll give onwalls a serious look.


CJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdahlberg /forum/post/14251929


I may be thinking of another model, but aren't those speakers sealed-inwalls? If I am correct there shouldn't be a problem with installing them into a false wall; actually if you read the spec sheets on that model it should tell you.

They are sealed. I am more concerned that they were developed to compensate for SBIR effects, which will not be there if I used a screen wall with no drywall.


CJ
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,712 Posts
1. In-wall speakers are designed based upon the assumption they will be mounted flush to a solid surface out to at least 3.5' from the speaker. Your SPL and frequency response will be altered if they are not mounted in-wall.


2. Your speakers appear to be too close to any AT screen.


3. I wouldn't be using monopole rear speakers unless you have a decorrelation facility for the rear two surrounds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/14259593


1. In-wall speakers are designed based upon the assumption they will be mounted flush to a solid surface out to at least 3.5' from the speaker. Your SPL and frequency response will be altered if they are not mounted in-wall.

Ouch. I guess that's what I get for changing plans mid-stream. If I surrounded the speakers 3.5' on each side with drywall, but still have room for a foot or so of open space across the top, would bass absorbers still be effective behind this wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/14259593


2. Your speakers appear to be too close to any AT screen.

That portion of the plan isn't quite to scale. I had planned to have the screen surface about 6 inches away from the speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/14259593


3. I wouldn't be using monopole rear speakers unless you have a decorrelation facility for the rear two surrounds.

I saw that you recommended not to use monopole speakers for the rear speakers in another thread. Unfortunately, that was after I had already sold the extra pair (or so I thought at the time) of Silver Surrounds. I do have another one, so it wouldn't be too bad to order a matching one and use those for the rears.


Thanks for all of your help,

CJ
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top