AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my new home media center and replacing all my 6 year old stuff. I just purchased a Pioneer PRO151 and planned on buying a new Pioneer SC-27 receiver. The SC-09 was just too much money for me, and with the 3D stuff coming out now and the discussions of HDMI 1.4 requirements, etc.. I was convinced even more the SC-27 was a right choice. However I just came across a Pioneer SC-09 "display unit/like new" ONLINE from Video & Audio Center of CA and impulsively purchased it for just under $2400.00 with free shipping. I live in NJ so obviously I could not view it in person. I called to try and get some more information, but was only able to speak with some sales girl who just gave me "general information" regarding their sales policies, etc... The unit is in the original box with all accessories, etc... and with 2 year warranty. I made sure I could return it if I wasn't satisfied, as well as not being charged a "restocking fee", only shipping charges. I have never purchased, and always choose to avoid, "demo or display items", so this was a first for me.

Does anyone have any opinions with purchasing "DEMO or DISPLAY items", and what was your experience over the time period you used it? Would you choose this route again? For this price, and with a return guarantee and no restocking fee, I found it difficult to pass this SC-09 up. Thanks in advance to all who take their time to reply. Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
drewg350,

Hmm.. it's a no brainer!

The SC-09 is one heck of a flagship!

·
Registered
20,248 Posts
You made the right decision. Just hope the shipping company does not play kick ball or basketball with the box.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Congratulations! The SC-09 is simply in another league and you got a ridiculously good deal. You can keep it a few years and still get your money back. Truly a no brainer.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
838 Posts
Wow, that is one sweet deal!

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
this question even needs to be asked?????
lessee, rosie o'donnell or kate beckinsale???

assuming the company is legit, that is one heckuva deal...

charles linked you to the world of susano... come join us there...

edit: as far as it being a display/demo... the display/demo that has been in my a/v guy's store has been there since they introduced the susano... i bet it hasn't been turned on a dozen times the entire time... it's not like they let the tire kickers mess around with these things...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"CC: this question even needs to be asked????? lessee, rosie o'donnell or kate beckinsale???

assuming the company is legit, that is one heckuva deal..."

I believe this company is legit. They have 3-retail stores and seem to be a large company, although I have no experience buying from them. I only found this deal and this store when I searched AMAZON Shopping and it showed several "new" units and several "used" units. They had thousands of reviews on AMAZON and their rating was like 99% positive. After speaking with them and seeing their website and pic's below, I'm satisfied. In fact, I would bet there must me some AVS members who have either been in one of their retail stores or have ordered from them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller...sPopup=&page=0

Retail Locations

Visit one or our Retail Stores and see why we are the Largest Flat Screen TV Dealer in Southern California!

SANTA MONICA STORE

1426 Wilshire Boulevard

Santa Monica, CA 90403

(Corner of Wilshire & 15th St.)

SOUTH BAY STORE

4401 Redondo Beach Boulevard

Lawndale, CA 90260

(Corner of Redondo Beach Blvd. & Hawthorne)

NOW OPEN!

AGOURA HILLS STORE

inside Power of Home

Agoura Design Center

28505 Canwood Street

Agoura Hills, CA 91301

(off 101 Fwy at Kanan Road)

JUST ONE TOUCH SHOWROOM

1411 Wilshire Boulevard

Santa Monica, CA 90403

(North side of Wilshire & 15th St.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a quick update. My SC-09 "display" unit ships tomorrow and I must say this authorized Pioneer dealer (Video & Audio Center in CA) has been nothing short of excellent. Their customer service has been outstanding, offering a 30 day return policy w/no restocking fee (just pay shipping charges), and full 2 yr warranty. After seeing their website (they are a high end store), speaking with their sales rep, and reading more on this forum, I was no longer worried about buying this "display" SC-09. I placed the order Monday morning, however there was a problem with my PayPal debit card "ship to" address not matching the "billing address". Because they charged my debit card and than reversed it based on the address issue, they could not charge it a second time (PayPal has a $3000.00 MAX POS charge per day). Being they only had this single unit, I wasn't totally convinced it would be there 24 hours later, even being placed on "hold". Luckily everything worked out fine today, except it was too late to ship. Would now ship Wednesday and arrive the following Tuesday (CA to NJ). She than updated it to UPS Blue so I could still have it this week--no charge. Being these SC's ship out around 90 lbs, that's a significant bonus. Can't say enough about how nice everyone at this store was. Can't wait till Friday !!!! Thanks again to all who replied above !!!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Good to know you had a good experience with them, drewg350.

Congratulaitons.. welcome to ICELand!

Be sure to let us know what you think in SC-09TX thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1027273

We'll be glad to help with any questions as well.

Your impressions would be welcome.

I don't think you will regret it.. Susanoo's one awesome beast.

This is also one of the few AVRs available that still offer iLink and AC3 RF connections. You're gonna love that LCD display.

If you need manuals, cad drawings/measuremenst for installation, RS232 protocol codes, or .ccf pronto or .mxf files, check here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...2#post16013382

Enjoy!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a quick post to conclude this topic as I received my SC-09 today via UPS. Luckily the outside shipping box was in very good condition so I had no apprehensions about accepting delivery. I had worried a little because when I checked the UPS tracking number earlier in the day, I noticed the "total weight" stated only 50 lbs. I knew the SC-09 weights closer to double that, and should've been labeled "heavy freight" by UPS, thus requiring 2 people for delivery (without a second person, the thought of the box being dropped, was on my mind). Sure enough, not only did a single driver come to deliver it, but it was a petite female. Fortunately I left work early and was able to pull it off the truck myself.

I was anxious to finally see this receiver with my own eyes. Up to now, I had only see the pic's online, but never in person. Well, my first impression: "man this thing is SWEEEEEETT !!!! I knew from reading other people's first impressions that the SC-09 was big, but I was surprised when I actually opened it. It was definitely larger than I had envisioned, and nicer looking too. The build quality is excellent. Now being that this was a "display" unit, I was anticipating some possible minor "dings or scratches" and for the unit to show some wear. Much to my amazement, there isn't a single, tiny, little scratch or paint chip ANYWHERE !!!! If I wasn't told this was a display unit, I would swear it was brand new, never opened. To be honest, I started wondering if maybe it was. I couldn't find anything that lead me to believe this receiver was ever turned on or even removed from it's box. Every accessory and all paperwork was in the original wrapping and didn't appear to have been opened.

Finally, I really feel so fortunate to come into this deal, and thank all the members above who posted and gave their opinions. I've never purchased any type of "demo", "open box", or "display" equipment before, but after reading some of your comments, I felt more confident and "pulled the trigger". I definitely was rewarded, and hopefully will be for years to come as I enjoy the SC-09. Certainly wasn't a given. Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
^^

I just found your thread. Congratulations on getting the SC-09

It's one heck of a flagship....you made a good decision on the 09 over a 27, even if it's a demo.

Please join us in the SC-09 thread

We like photos, too

ss9001

Steve

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Congratulations again on getting a true Statement AV Receiver for an amazing price. The SC-09 is truly a beautiful AVR and the rightful heir to the VSX-59TXI.

With Pioneer's recent direction, (ending Kuro Production, BDP Partnership with Sharp, etc) I wonder if this might be the last of Pioneer's Statement Components along with the BDP-09FD.

I certainly hope I am wrong. I used to have a VSX-49TXI and I have a huge appreciation for Pioneer Elite's upper tier Designs.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
I have the 27 and love it, but if I came across that deal I would have done the same as you. Very nice.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/18307391

I have the 27 and love it

I certainly would agree the 27 is a great AVR

And I hope you didn't take my post as negative to the 27. The SC-27 is the sweet spot of the Elites
A whole lot of features, amp power & build quality for the money.

ss9001

1 - 14 of 14 Posts