AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello good folks,

After much searching and research, I have come to realize that it will take far more time than I have to finish searching and researching
. Like many of you, I am a hyperrationalizer, meaning that I have to do weeks of research before I will purchase even a toaster -- let alone a tv. I've looked at other 40-42" Advice threads but found mostly older ones with models I couldn't find anymore. I would really appreciate some help from you folks.

Needs:

40-42"

1080p - we're at a viewing distance of 5-6 feet.

Speaker or no speaker - We'll be buying some other hardware, probably a sony sound bar.

Use: Blu-ray, PS3 Gaming, occasional tv, sometimes hooked up to PC.

Budget: I have a $1000 soft budget.

1) Sharp 40" 1080p High Definition LCD Television: LC40E67U

2) Samsung 40" Series 5 1080p LCD HDTV: LN40B530 (OR) an A550. I have read about the ghosting and blurring on the B Series Samsung sets. But maybe newer revisions have been fixed?

3) Sony 40" BRAVIA S Series 1080p LCD HDTV: KDL40S5100

4) Samsung LN40B550 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV with Red Touch of Color

I think all these sets are 60Hz refresh unfortunately. I couldn't find the details on Response time for all of them. They all have different contrast values, all of which I have no idea about
. #4 seems to be the best out of the bunch with 120H

Thank you very much for reading my long post.

-DrLee

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
I have the LN40B650 and it's an OK set, better than the the Sony's and much better than the Sharp. I got it when it first cam out in April for $1499, now the price is much better. If you are going LCD Samsung is the way to go. In May I picked up a Panny 42X1 for $599 and it performs as well as or better that the B650, at roughly 1/3 the price.

So, if you are looking for bang for the buck, I'd take a look at the Panny plasmas. If you are set on LCD then Sammy is the way to go.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLeeX /forum/post/17043633

Hello good folks,

After much searching and research, I have come to realize that it will take far more time than I have to finish searching and researching
. Like many of you, I am a hyperrationalizer, meaning that I have to do weeks of research before I will purchase even a toaster -- let alone a tv. I've looked at other 40-42" Advice threads but found mostly older ones with models I couldn't find anymore. I would really appreciate some help from you folks.

Needs:

40-42"

1080p - we're at a viewing distance of 5-6 feet.

Speaker or no speaker - We'll be buying some other hardware, probably a sony sound bar.

Use: Blu-ray, PS3 Gaming, occasional tv, sometimes hooked up to PC.

Budget: I have a $1000 soft budget.

1) Sharp 40" 1080p High Definition LCD Television: LC40E67U

2) Samsung 40" Series 5 1080p LCD HDTV: LN40B530 (OR) an A550. I have read about the ghosting and blurring on the B Series Samsung sets. But maybe newer revisions have been fixed?

3) Sony 40" BRAVIA S Series 1080p LCD HDTV: KDL40S5100

4) Samsung LN40B550 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV with Red Touch of Color

I think all these sets are 60Hz refresh unfortunately. I couldn't find the details on Response time for all of them. They all have different contrast values, all of which I have no idea about
. #4 seems to be the best out of the bunch with 120H

Thank you very much for reading my long post.

-DrLee

All nice sets fer sure but don't discount the underated Vizio line up too. If 120hz is important, checkout the VL420M.....................

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHuskey /forum/post/17047517

Don't let the 120 hz sway you, it's mostly not needed.

Yes it is!! Don't confuse 120hz refresh rate (always on when the TV is on) with the motion processing (AMP, Motionflow, etc.) which can be turned off or adjusted to your particular taste.

All things being equal, TVs that have a 120hz refresh rate ALWAYS look (picture quality) better than those with a 60hz refresh rate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey folks, thanks for the input. I am from Canada, so most of the sets you mentioned are way out of my price range. We pay a premium compared to you down south, 25-50% more. For example, Some of the 800-900$ Panny's are listed here from 1500-2000. Bang for buck is just lacking :|. I found a good deal on the Samsung LN40B530 and jumped on it for about $850 CDN.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Good heavens, you sound like me! (I looked at Aerogardens for 2.5 years and just now purchased one finally).

Go with a Sammy for sure! They are known for excellent PQ. I have a 40-inch A530 and the blacks are very black and whites are very white. It's 60hz, but motion is no problem with DVDs, BlueRay (those that opt for that), movies and such on TV. I do find that sports can sometimes lag on 60hz, but then again I have TW cable and they still broadcast everything in 480i and aren't that robust, so that could weigh into it.

Don't get caught up in the contrast ratio, response time difference between 5ms and 4ms it will only confuse you straight to the funny farm. Eample the PQ difference between 20,000:1 and 30,000:1 is nil as is the difference between 4ms and 5ms RT. You "might" see a subtle difference between 10,000:1 and 30,000:1, but that's "might see". If you get something 20,000:1 or higher your blacks and whites will be true.

Remember though all TVs can be adjusted.

Bottomline - Sammy TVs are among the most trusted currently. Just decide between TOC or plain piano black. If you like Red you'll like the TOC model. (I don't like the TOC models personally, it's just extra money for an annoying trim package, the rest is the same).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts