AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the situation. I need to get a new tv, and would like to get a decent size hdtv.

Unfortunately, I live in an apartment and will probably be moving within two years. This means that whatever I get will be moved at least once. Additionally, it means I can't mount a satellite dish just anywhere. Even worse, my balcony only has a northern exposure, and with no view of the southern skyline, I can pretty much kiss any satellite tv away.

Thus I'm stuck with good old (read as poor signal) cable, and it will account for at least 50% of what I watch.

I was really looking at spending up to $2k for a 40-50" RPTV. However, everyone has told me that cable signals on a large screen HD set look terrible, as it amplifies all the defects. Based on this, some suggest I fore go getting a RPTV and stick to a direct view tube set.

With my hopes somewhat shattered :( I started looking at single tube sets. I would consider a 36", but I can't seem to justify spending $2k on one when I could get a much larger RPTV for equal or less money. Thus I figure I should just try to get something to hold me over for a couple of years and then upgrade after I move, meaning I should try to keep the cost down as much as possible. I really don't want to go any smaller than 32", and after much research, I am left considering the Samsung TSL3293HF from Best Buy for $1200. Overall the reviews for this unit seem favorable, although I would prefer to get the 3294/3295 model that has PIP, but I can't seem to find it anywhere local.

So, finally the questions:

1) What do people think of my decision? Are my assumptions valid, especially regarding cable signals and RP sets?

2) Any comments regarding the Samsung would be appreciated. Anyone have any other sets come to mind? Am I ignoring a set that I should be considering? I would like to get HD-capable for at least playing DVDs.

3)I've read as much on this site as time affords, but I still don't understand everything about HD signals. I plan on getting a progressive DVD player, however, I am unsure what would make a good match with the Samsung. From my reading, I am unsure if the Samsung has (or even should have since its 4:3 aspect) 3:2 pulldown, and if not, would it be wise to get a player that does do 3:2 pulldown? I was considering the Panny RP-56 based on its positive reviews.

All help is highly appreciated.

Of course, this all may be in vain as I just checked BestBuy's website and they are indicating they can't currently ship the Samsung to my area. Arrrgh!

Steven

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've called around and no one seems to have the Samsung 32" in stock or are able to get one. Apparently it has been discontinued (according to sears) and they are awaiting the new models. Well, actually there is one available, but its the floor model that has been on 12 hours a day, every day, for the past 8 months. They offered me 10% off over the phone for it. I don't think so.

Well, my only other relatively cheap choice would be the Panny CT32HX41, which I think I can get for around $1300. Any opinions or comments? If the price keeps creeping up like this, I should just say heck with it and get an RPTV.

Thanks

Frustrated (Steven)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Anyone worth his or her salt will tell you that a floor model , with a good warranty is better than a new set.

It has been running on the floor, flawlessly for a good amount of time. Most electronics will crap out immediately, or soon after starting it up, a floor model has been tested and is working fine.

That TV would last you 10 years.

My opinion, buy it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Take a look at the Hitachi 32UXD10S (4x3). CircuitCity sells them for about $1,200.00. It has excellent cable PQ, PIP and internal line doubler. I've had the set for about 6 months and the PQ is really great. The screen is curved but the geometry on flat screens isn't too good.

Worth looking at.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll check out the hitachi.

I think I found a good price on a Panny 36", but I'm having problems finding anyone that can get their hands on it also.

thanks again

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you check the samsung forums at the home theater spot you should be able to find a discussion about someone who sells direct from samsung to a consumer. She operates off eBay but is completely legit (or so people report) and ships direct from the factory. I am not sure of her motivation for this, but check out the forum over there if you are still interested in getting a samsung.

nlim

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a sammy tsl2795 that I purchased from jandr with a two year warranty. Love the set....I know that some of the models are sears model while some are best buy models. the 95 version has the upgraded sound and the pip. I like this set for the bedroom hooked up to some cheap surround speakers. You can't go wrong imho....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.