AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the situation. I need to get a new tv, and would like to get a decent size hdtv.

Unfortunately, I live in an apartment and will probably be moving within two years. This means that whatever I get will be moved at least once. Additionally, it means I can't mount a satellite dish just anywhere. Even worse, my balcony only has a northern exposure, and with no view of the southern skyline, I can pretty much kiss any satellite tv away.

Thus I'm stuck with good old (read as poor signal) cable, and it will account for at least 50% of what I watch.

I was really looking at spending up to $2k for a 40-50" RPTV. However, everyone has told me that cable signals on a large screen HD set look terrible, as it amplifies all the defects. Based on this, some suggest I fore go getting a RPTV and stick to a direct view tube set.

With my hopes somewhat shattered I started looking at single tube sets. I would consider a 36", but I can't seem to justify spending $2k on one when I could get a much larger RPTV for equal or less money. Thus I figure I should just try to get something to hold me over for a couple of years and then upgrade after I move, meaning I should try to keep the cost down as much as possible. I really don't want to go any smaller than 32", and after much research, I am left considering the Samsung TSL3293HF from Best Buy for $1200. Overall the reviews for this unit seem favorable, although I would prefer to get the 3294/3295 model that has PIP, but I can't seem to find it anywhere local.

So, finally the questions:

1) What do people think of my decision? Are my assumptions valid, especially regarding cable signals and RP sets?

2) Any comments regarding the Samsung would be appreciated. Anyone have any other sets come to mind? Am I ignoring a set that I should be considering? I would like to get HD-capable for at least playing DVDs.

3)I've read as much on this site as time affords, but I still don't understand everything about HD signals. I plan on getting a progressive DVD player, however, I am unsure what would make a good match with the Samsung. From my reading, I am unsure if the Samsung has (or even should have since its 4:3 aspect) 3:2 pulldown, and if not, would it be wise to get a player that does do 3:2 pulldown? I was considering the Panny RP-56 based on its positive reviews.

All help is highly appreciated.

Of course, this all may be in vain as I just checked BestBuy's website and they are indicating they can't currently ship the Samsung to my area. Arrrgh!

Steven

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Why not keep whatever tube you have and get a 300-500 used FP CRT to hold you over? Great for movies and all and you won't feel jiped by the next round of upgrades while you are waiting to move into your new place.

Just get one that can do 16:9 squeeze and 480p ( 31.5 khz ) + progressive DVD RP56 or Tosh 5700 + transcoder. The DVD and transcoder can be an investment as they will be handy in the future anyways you end up going.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It seems like you may want to consider the Toshiba 42 HDTV. Toshiba appears to be one of the better models in the HDTV market and it doesn't skimp on features

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...?tag=pdtl-list

I'm in a somewhat similar position - I'll probably replace my 30 inch TV in 1-5 years with a digital model, and I have limited space. I've looked at the bigger direct view TVs, but they are way too bulky and I think they weigh too much. And the HDTV direct view sets cost a lot more than the rear projection sets. That Toshiba only weighs about 150 lbs and their next bigger size is 50 inches and weighs 198 lbs. It seems from what people say and from visiting the stores that it's not just the size, but how far away you will sit from the screen that affects what you see as the picture quality, including cable. I think there is a thread on this forum on optimum distance from the screen for TVs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You may want to consider the Hitachi 43UWX10b. It's rear projection, but one of the few available tabletop models. Weight is ca. 150lbs and it's only about 21" deep. Another reason for considering this model is that its line doubler is really good, and IMHO, better than that in the Toshiba 40X81 which I also own. As a result, cable TV signals actually look good on the Hitachi.

I got this set because I needed one to go into a built-in cabinet with fixed dimensions. The depth in the cabinet is very limited (24"), which ruled out most of the larger direct views. I have the set hooked up to a standard cable box, an HDTV receiver (OTA antenna), and a Panny RP-56. Of course, the HD and progressive DVD look fantastic (they to on my Toshiba, too), but the cable is surprisingly good. The Hitachi Smooth Wide algorithm is at least as good as Toshiba's TheaterWide 1 for watching 4:3 material.

You can find this set for ca. $1900-2000 if you look around.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone who responded.

I was able to look at some RPTVs receiving standard cable, and admittedly, most looked pretty bad. The direct views seemed to fare better, although they admittedly have smaller screens.

To make a long story short, I was able to get a very good price on the Panny 36HX41 direct view, so I decided to go with that. I was originally looking to keep it real cheap and get a 32" like the samsung, but I felt the price was too good to turn down. From my tests, it seemed to have the best picture regardless of what you threw at it. Only real problem now is that it weighs a ton. It should be arriving this Saturday, with a new DVD and receiver to follow on Tuesday. Now I just need to figure out what cables I need to get.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Amazing you picked that set, after reading your thread and my most recent browsing, I was going the suggest the same set only in the 32" and your right, nothing else that I saw compares.

The new Philips direct coming out in June is supposed to be really something as well. I think its the 5818?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.