AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for new surround speakers. I'm replacing the Energy RVS system which I have been very happy with but would like to go up a level. I'm using the Marantz SR8000. I've narrowed down my choices to the Dynaudio Audience 122 series or the Energy Veritas using the 2.3's and the 2.0 centre. I would appreciate any comments from anyone who has heard both. I'm sure I would be happy with either as I think they share alot of excellant sound qualities.

Brad

·
Banned
143 Posts
I’ve heard the 2.3's at a local shop I get a few things from but not any kind of serious audition. Energy is a nice speaker but not really on the same level as dynaudio imo. The audience series is one of the best values out there without question. I’ve owned B&W, paradigm, Psb (stratus),Signet etc but dynaudio has been a favorite. I recently moved from audience to contours but feel the audience is still unbeatable in its pricerange. I also own the SR8000 which I use in the bedroom so I'm very familiar with that also. Keep in mind the dynes are rated at 4ohm but the 8000 would handle 122's easily. I would consider 52's up front & 42's in the rear, 122c in the center instead of 122's all around. The 52's will do music much better across the front imo providing better bass response and a wider range. Don’t get too caught up with timber matching because the 52, 42 & 122 will blend beautifully in HT, I used the 122c with 82’s with excellent results.

Goodluck

·
Premium Member
Sony A8H 65”, Denon AVR-X6700h, Sony UBP-X1100ES, ATV4k, TiVo Bolt 4k, Energy Veritas 2.3 system
439 Posts
I have the Veritas 2.3's, 2.0C, and 2.0R's and am enjoying them quite a lot. I'm sorry that I haven't heard the Dynaudio line of speakers to give you the comparison you need, but I did look at their web site and am wondering why you aren't comparing the Veritas speakers with the (seems to me) comparable models of the Dynaudio line - the Contour 3.3's. The Audience line is a plastic laminate finish while the Contour line is wood laminate.

I know I'm a bit odd in this, but if I'm going to put something in my home along with other nicely finished furniture, I want it to be on the same level.

Are the price points comparable between the Veritas 2.3's and the Audience lines? I think most would just say to go with the sound quality, but for me, looks and craftsmanship are important also. I do some woodworking and appreciate such things.

What are you using to amplify them with? I auditioned the Veritas with a Denon 5803 receiver and thought they were pretty good, but not set up well. I use them at home with a Pioneer Elite 49TX receiver that lets me eq them to the room (and each other!), and it is a much sweeter, smoother listening experience.

Larry Becker

·
Banned
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LDBecker
I have the Veritas 2.3's, 2.0C, and 2.0R's and am enjoying them quite a lot. I'm sorry that I haven't heard the Dynaudio line of speakers to give you the comparison you need, but I did look at their web site and am wondering why you aren't comparing the Veritas speakers with the (seems to me) comparable models of the Dynaudio line - the Contour 3.3's. The Audience line is a plastic laminate finish while the Contour line is wood laminate.

Larry Becker
Hi Larry,

The cabinet finish of speakers has absolutely no bearing on how they perform. The cabinet design, driver quality & crossover quality is what makes a speaker. FYI Dynaudio drivers are known for their utmost quality and used in other high end speakers such as Wilson Audio, Totem, Merlin etc. The reason for the vinyl wrapped cabinets is so they can get you a high end sounding product without making you broke. The Contour 3.3 you mention are regarded as one of the best speakers available at 7000.00 and require more power than any receiver has to offer. (I run them at 600 watts @ 4ohm). Something comparable in design to the energy 2.3 from dynaudio would be the Audience 72. I wouldn’t recommend the 4ohm 72 because it would make the 8000 internal amps work too hard and sound compressed as a result.

Regards

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have heard the veritas and the dynaudio lines several times and for comparison, the veritas series is better than the audience imho. but if you move up to the contour series, the dynaudio is better. the contour t2.1 & 2.5 are better suited for ht but they are also very good performer in music.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the opinions, the Dynaudio combo I was considering was the 72's up front with the 122C. If needed I would add a power amp to my Marantz and use it as a pre amp. I listened to the Dyn's in Montreal this weekend and was again very impressed, I wish I could hear the 2 lines in the same city as it's hard to do an A-B. As far as price goes these 2 combinations would work out to within a couple hundred dollars with their respective Canadian discounts. A recent Stereophile Guide review compared the Veritas 2.4's with the Revel Performas, thats pretty high company it's keeping, and when it comes down to it, sound is the only criteria. Anyone else have any opinions?

thanks

Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.