AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've read any of my topics then you will know that I recently bought the Elite 47TX because it dropped $1000 due to being discontinued and seemed like a sweet deal. I have it set up and am now considering whether I should take it back or not. Here is the run down of what my logic is like. This is for a room say... 16' X 17'. Here is my run down

Elite 47TX- sounds very sweet and the auto setup was very nice but the price is at $1600 after tax and it only has 3 optical inputs in the back. Probably has way more power than I need.

Elite 55Txi has me thinking about changing to it but it is lacking in optical inputs even more than the 47TX (think it only has 2 in the back!). This would save me $500 ($1100 price) and give me I-Link for the future but I would give up power, 1 optical, and I'm not sure what else (if anything)

Denon 3803- At about $1000 I was originally looking at this because it sounded very good in the showroom and it has 5 optical inputs! If I hadn't gotten the 47TX and used the auto setup (whatever the name is) then I would have never known how great it is to have the help but I know now and the Denon lacks it. If this had the auto setup I really think I would just go with it yet it does not and I hate to think of manually trying to guess at things because I'm new to all of this.

Yamaha 2400- This came into the picture late and I compared it to the Denon and it sounded a tad bright to my surprise but I'm not sure if it was the way it was setup and/or if it can easily be adjusted to sound warmer. I love that this has the same amount of optical inputs as the Denon and I love the fact that it has the auto setup that people are raving about. The only thing I'm not sure about is the sound compared the the Elites and the Denon and the power. I'm guessing it will have plenty of power for me just like the Denon 3803 will for my size room. When I think of this one it makes me wonder between it and the Elite 55Txi.

There seems to be one thing that is hanging me up for each of these. Either wondering about the higher price, lack of auto setup, lack of optical inputs. :confused: I have 30 days with this 47TX but get more nervous by the day and don't want to get attached. :)

Well, any input on any of these would be appreciated (as usual). ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
have you considered the NAD T762 or the HK7200? they have enough current to choke a rino! both can be had for about $1000-$1100 depending on website...make sure website is factory authorized. i wouldn't even consider the others with these two tanks available. don't worry about too much power...there is never enough, but these two receivers will provide headroom to heaven.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
The HK 7200 is a power house actual power output vs published power was exceeded by almost 50%, whereas most of the AVRs NEVER meet published specs with all channels driven. Also check out the September/October Perfect Vision, the 7200 was very highly praised for its sonic performance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
if i had $1600 to spend i would go for a Outlaw combo for around $100 more for the entry level combo. should outperform most receivers...probably even the NAD and HK for the most part, but for the money NAD and HK make the most kick-ass receivers period. i own the HK7200, got it on sale for $1060 delivered with a 2 year extended warranty from an authorized dealer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Recently, Sound and Vision had done a review of the Outlaw combo. While the Outlaw combo has similar general features and specifications to the mid end receivers, the preamp's noise ratio is worst than a $400 Yamaha receivers. My friend had tried the combo and ended up returning it. He bought a 45TX and likes it much better

YMMV

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kainan
HOLY SMOKES! Now I have two more to look at! AHH!! :D
Kainan,

Just a follow up on the PM I just sent you. I was a HK man for many years, I owned the MK20II receiver, avr500, avr7000, and most recently the avr8000. I loved thier sound. However, both the 500 and the 8000 had intermittent problems. Also I just moved to a new house a year ago that has a terrible living room for music and HT (vaulted ceilings, only 2 3/4 walls, etc.). And the low end has ALOT of standing waves. Even with acoustical treatmaent, and various speaker placements, I still had too much "BOOM" at certain low frequencies.

So I bought the 55TXi with MCACC. And "like Magic" NO MORE BOOM! :D

It was a "Perfect match" for me and my room!

Like sooo... many Elite owners with MCACC say: "Once you have MCACC, you NEVER go back!!!" :D

my .02 MMV ;)

Best Regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
105 Posts
HK definatly has had their problems in the past with QC but for the last couple of years they have made some changes and are alot better now. they are just as reliable as any other brand.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Kainan I'm in the exact same boat as you... except I've eliminated the Denon.... I'm leaning to-wards the Yamaha, except I'm not sure about the base management for it. If the 55TXi has better base management that would be my deciding factor. For instance able to adjust crossover for each speaker.

- Dave

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After spending a couple of hours doing more research this morning I've probably ruled out the Denon due to the lack of any type of auto setup feature. The 47TX really sold me on how important this can be unless you are someone who has an audio meter and knows how to calibrate everything (I don't). I've also just about ruled out the 55Txi because it only has 2 Optical Inputs. :(

The thing that gets me is that my Denon 1600 DVD player only has Optical out and it is not considered a bad player by any means as it is ranked 2nd or 3rd in the DVD shootout that you see on the net (this shoot out included extensive testing!). I really like the DVD player and was actually surprised to see no composite out but it didn't bother me too much at the time because my Yamaha 795 (think that is it) had 3 optical inputs. I didn't consider this DVD player top end but was going for an awesome picture with DVD-A capability in case I decided to use it in the future and that is what the Denon 1600 gave me. I have my DTC-100 HDTV Receiver which also ONLY has optical out. That's two right there. Next add my Xbox, which I play a LOT! Now I have a need for at least 3 optical inputs on the receiver (not including the front panel). I'm just amazed to see that the 55Txi only has 2 on the back considering the age of my Yamaha. I'm even further amazed to see the 47TX (not so long ago a $2500 receiver) having the same amount of inputs as my older Yamaha.

I looked into a decent optical selector and for one with a remote it is about $100 or more plus you would now have an extra box to put somewhere that isn't very attractive looking IMO. I was really hoping that the 55Txi would pull me away from the 47TX and save me $500 at the same time but I'm not so sure it is the right choice now. I'm going to research the Yamaha 2400 more and maybe check into the others that people mentioned.

I've just about drawn a line in the sand being that I have to have 3 optical inputs or more on the rear AND I want the auto setup feature that some have. Maybe I'm getting somewhere..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've put the 55Txi back into the possible group because I've found an optical to composite converter for a cheap $30. That would magically change my inputs on back from 2 to 3 for optical. I have yet to hear from anyone who owns the 47TX. Was this not a good model or something?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
I've put the 55Txi back into the possible group because I've found an optical to composite converter for a cheap $30. That would magically change my inputs on back from 2 to 3 for optical. I have yet to hear from anyone who owns the 47TX. Was this not a good model or something?
I think the reason the 47TX was/is not as popular is because compared to the 49TX/49TXi it's lacking a few features, ie: Custom MCACC, 9-band EQ (compared to 5-band in the 47TX), and Hi-bit upsampling, to name a few of the important ones. And the 49TX could be had for around $800 (street) more. If people were going to drop that kind of money they usually would want the "best". And if they didn't have the $ for either but still wanted most of the features, minus THX 2 and more power, people bought or are buying the 45TX, 53TX, or the 55TXi.

Of course most people that bought it (until recently, because of closeout sales) paid close to full price for the 47TX, unless they bought via the internet, "usually" without the warranty.

[EDIT] Also, I know this is going to be for 90% HT, but when buying a component like this, I usually like to buy the most "universal" component I can, that sounds really good to "my" ears. You never know when you might want to get more into music. And, I personally have grown tired of selling equipment (losing money most of the time), and then trying something else. My advice is to take your time and get the most well equiped, universal receiver that sounds good to "you". If anything else at least it might delay the "upgrade bug" from biting!

That's my take on it anyway ;)

Best Regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
157 Posts
Is your room that bad? To eliminate the Denon 3803 simply because it is lacking a auto calibration feature is a bit rash. Specially since other than that you note it has everything you need. Do any of your source components have coaxial as well as optical Digital outs? If so, any of the receivers will handle your components, otherwise I think the Denon is the best best for you for the money.

Too bad though, the 47tx is a sweet receiver. I'd exchange my 45tx for it if not for the huge cost difference.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Don't forget, that on the Yamaha RX-V2400, all of the coaxial digital and optical inputs in addition to the component video inputs are 'software assignable'. Meaning that you can reassign them to other inputs if you need to. Offers you much more flexibility when configuring your system. On top of that, you can 'rename' the inputs, example: instead of VCR2/DVR, you can relabel it 'Xbox'. Cool beans!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pardon my mix up in naming the connections. I go from talking video to talking audio and all the connections run together. Everywhere that I've said composite I've meant coaxial. My Denon 1600 DVD player, DTC-100 HDTV Receiver, and my Xbox all lack a coaxial digital out. :( Like I said above (but wrong word used), I was pretty surprised to see that the Denon didn't have a coaxial out since my cheaper Panasonic A110 that I ditched actually had both optical and coaxial out.

Segaboy-

Maybe the 55Txi doesn't have it (think it does though) but the 47TX had the same features of being able to rename your inputs and the way they show on your remote and receiver. I don't down the 2400 for features for sure. I think I got ahold of an Elite and it just sold me because it sounds so good. I also have other people telling me that the Elite next to that Yamaha sounds better. I have yet to hear anyone say that the Yamaha sounds better than an Elite. That isn't to say that some won't say so though! :D Anyway, my main point here was that to my knowledge the Elite 47TX and even 55Txi have the renaming feature.

DB1-

Nah, my room isn't that bad man. I think I've just been listening to a receiver configured incorrectly for a room for so long that the difference jumped out at me. It does sound harsh to wack the Denon just for that. I guess I'm just trying to get something off my list or I will never come to a decison. :) To be honest I thought the Denon sounded sweet and I could tell it sounded richer compared to the Yamaha 2400. The Elite seems to have the same great sound plus other options that I like while the Denon has more optical inputs. As I got to considering everything I thought that having that I-Link and the MCACC might be more important than having the extra optical inputs since I can get a coaxial to optical converter for $30 a pop.

As you can see, I'm heavily leaning towards the Elite 55Txi now despite the lack of optical inputs. I really think I could be happy with any of the 4 I've been talking about but I'm trying to get the biggest and smartest bang for the buck and the 55Txi is looking to be that to me right now.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Anyway, my main point here was that to my knowledge the Elite 47TX and even 55Txi have the renaming feature.
Kainan,

Indeed, the 55TXi has the renaming feature ;)

Patrick

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I shelled out the $$$$ for the 49TX and upgraded it to the i-Link.

#1 reason?

Simple: I need the inputs and loved the remote,

for the extra $ it was a no brainer.

#2 reason both were in the running?

Both had the AC-3 RF inputs for the LD collection/player. That is tough to find in a non-flagship receiver.

Like AVholic says, when your spending that much, what is a little more?

Looked at the 47 and turned away for that reason. I imagine it's a great unit though. Love the 49TX especially with the Hi-bit sampling and THX for those bright flix. MAACC is a dream and makes the Pioneers worth their money.

If you want a similar feature with a "brighter" sound listen to the Yamahas

such as the 2400 and pending 3400. Not sure of the price range though.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eldithomaso
I

Looked at the 47 and turned away for that reason. I imagine it's a great unit though. Love the 49TX especially with the Hi-bit sampling and THX for those bright flix. MAACC is a dream and makes the Pioneers worth their money.

Just for the record, 53TX (and I'd imagine the 55TXi), have the Hi-bit upsampling and THX sound processing, renaming inputs (ie call one selection Xbox, another Dish Network....easy on the girlfriend :) ). get a 55TXi if a digital connection for DVD-A is important, otherwise the 53TX if not needed (save about $300).

The 49TX is in another league, while the 53 and 55 share some of the features you are comparing a reciever that is well over double the $$, THX ultra, more of everything....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You say that the 49TX is in another league but the 47TX sounds pretty darn close other than

1. Slightly more power (49 is 160W and 47 is 130W)

2. 1 more optical input

3. 1 more coaxial input

4. Other minor stuff that I'm not clear about

They both have the 3 component inputs, same specifications (THX Ultra2) and pretty close to the same build. I'm just wondering if you put the 49TX in another league if the 47TX would be considered in another league as well. I'm checking on purchasing the 55Txi right now. It will save me $400 I believe instead of $500 because I just got a $100 off for Tweeter that I would force them to let me use if I happen to keep the 47TX.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
You say that the 49TX is in another league but the 47TX sounds pretty darn close other than

1. Slightly more power (49 is 160W and 47 is 130W)

2. 1 more optical input

3. 1 more coaxial input

4. Other minor stuff that I'm not clear about
Kainan,

Other than those you stated, to me the "big" differences between the 49TXi (the 49TX is no longer available) are these:

1. i.Link

2. Custom MCACC (as stated before this is a big one for me)

3. Hi-Bit upsampling (another nice feature)

To me these are more than enough features to warrant moving up from the 47TX to the 49TXi, when they were both near the same price range. BUT... now that the 47TX can be had for much less, different ballgame!

However, as you know these features listed above can be had for even cheaper than the 47TX, with the 55TXi your looking at. It all comes down to what is most important to you.

Best Regards,

Patrick

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.