AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own an Onkyo TX-NR905 that I use as a pre-amp in a 7.1 configuration (L/C/R, three sets of side surrounds wired in parallel, and rear surrounds). For power, the 905 connects to a Bryston 4BSST (mains), Bryston 9BSST (center and surrounds), and a Parasound amp that powers the sub. Up front, I've got VMPS RM30s (L/C/R) that are pretty efficient, from what I can recall of their specs.

All of this exists in a 12' x 20' dedicated HT that is sound-proofed to the point that I can drive it to high levels without fear of waking up my 5-year old.
I do enjoy good 2-channel and multi-channel music listening and place a premium on ensuring the experience is as high-quality as possible from a sound quality point of view.

With this in mind, would there be any benefit to stepping up to either an Onkyo 5007 or a Denon 4810CI to replace the 905? What I am most interested in are opinions of those who have heard and compared the 905 to either one or both of these relatively new AVRs from a sound quality perspective, not necessarily a feature perspective. In other words, which of the three options do you think is best for music listening, thinking about characteristics such as 2-channel imaging, depth/width of soundstage, transparency, etc. Other perspectives of sonic quality are greatly appreciated, too, such as the effect of the various multi-channel and equalization features these AVRs offer.

I welcome all opinions, although I'm really most interested in hearing from those of you who have done direct comparisons of the 905 to either or both of these AVRs and have come to some conclusions about sound quality.

I realize the newer AVRs have more bells and whistles, but I want to make sure that I am not sacrificing sound quality for extra features. SQ is my top priority here!

On paper, I suppose the nod goes to the 5007 as a result of the 32-bit DACs and maybe a few other specs. However, specs don't always mean much.

Finally, I have never owned a Denon AVR and would be very interested to hear your opinions of how it differs (sonically) from Onkyo. If I swapped out the 905 and put a 4810CI in its place, but changed nothing else in my system, how might it sound different?

TIA and let me know if I can offer any more info that will help with responses.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? Surely some here have compared the 905 to one or both of these receivers...

·
Registered
882 Posts
I would definitely go with the denon 4810.Onkyo 905 is currently owned by a friend who looks forward to get rid of it.It's kinda harsh compared to the denons.

Another friend owns a onkyo 5507 prepro , same thing , harsh sound , many gadgets.Still harsh and agressive sound, specialy in music.Go denon gentle detailed sound , and the only amp at this time that supports audyssey's height AND wide chanels,dsx mode in full.Also incredibly musical.

At your disposal for anything else.

John.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John,

Thank you for your response; I really appreciate it. I do think I might enjoy the sonic signature of Denon if it is indeed "gentle" but am hoping it is also very detailed and transparent at the same time.

I've noticed that the 905 can be pretty harsh at times, but I've always attributed it to the 905 being transparent - largely because I've also heard it sound very wonderful with certain recordings. I think more laid-back recordings tend to sound pretty nice, but more aggressive ones are tough to take! My VMPS speakers allow me to adjust the gains on the midrange and treble, and even with the gains knocked down a bit, I've felt this way for some time now.

Does anyone think the Denon 4810CI is less than fully transparent? Does it throw a wide, deep, detailed soundstage?

All opinions welcome!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Given you are using outboard amplification on all channels, I would really look at Onkyo's PR-SC5507P: http://www.onkyopro.com/model.cfm?m=...eamplifier&p=i

It is fully up to date and will consume far less power than an AVR would.

I really do not think either of the AVR's are going to make a huge difference considering you are using Brystons.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
3,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/18263438

Hello,

Given you are using outboard amplification on all channels, I would really look at Onkyo's PR-SC5507P: http://www.onkyopro.com/model.cfm?m=...eamplifier&p=i

It is fully up to date and will consume far less power than an AVR would.

I really do not think either of the AVR's are going to make a huge difference considering you are using Brystons.

Cheers,

AD

How much is that Onkyo ^^ ? Who are some authorized dealers?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Regarding 4810 , the power amps can be turned on or off, so decrease the power consumption.

As for the transparency , 4810 is very transparent and detailed , yet gentle on the ears.

While 5507 folows onkyo's route being harsh sometimes .

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Generally, all the these terms about harshness, transparency, soundstage, etc.. are usually ascribed to the Speakers and perhaps Amplifiers (OP using Bryston/Parasound for all channels) and not the Preamp.

I just do not think switching to the Denon or another Onkyo is going to result in a massive change in overall SQ.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
6,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/18265800

Hello,

Generally, all the these terms about harshness, transparency, soundstage, etc.. are usually ascribed to the Speakers and perhaps Amplifiers (OP using Bryston/Parasound for all channels) and not the Preamp.

I just do not think switching to the Denon or another Onkyo is going to result in a massive change in overall SQ.

Cheers,

AD

I would agree with that

I was also wondering why he is looking for a receiver?...if you are going to use the preamp section only...you are paying for something that is not going to be used

Money could be better spent on a good preamp...without paying for amplifier section that is not used

Warren

·
Registered
510 Posts
I sold my Denon and now have an Onkyo 5507 combined with an Outlaw 7700 Amp and could not be happier. SQ is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Blows the doors off the 48 series Denon I had.

And another thing, the Onkyo is super easy to use. Despite reading the Denon manual several times, I thought it was at best very difficult to use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts