Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm soon going to buy a CRT projector (no LCD garbage ;) ),

And i need opinions on which ones to look out for.

I don't have TOO MUCH cash (just being cheap ;) j/k ),

Probably in the market for a projector in the 500-1000 (USD) or so range.

What do you think of the Electrohome 4101? I need your guys' opinions, because Curt's got one lying around and if you guys can recommend it, he can hook me up :) . Any help would be great, thanks. :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
For 'entry level' CRT, you better get Sony.

If you want more, the Marquee 8500 Ultra might perform more than you could expect, but it's gonna be nearly 20x of you cash. :D

You must be dreaming, wake up ! :p

·
Registered
412 Posts
You want to make sure that you get your CRT from one of the dealers here on the forum, or make sure that you can inspect the projector in person. DO NOT buy it of EBay from an unknown person...you will be sorry. There are plenty of dealers here on this forum that sell on EBay too. Curt Palme and Terry aka "Chuchuf" are a few that have treated us all very well and they both have a "list" that they send out with all the deals they have.

There is a CRTs for newbies floating around, I know Churt has one and I thought there was another on the forum....very useful...do a search for it.

Spend some time reading here and you will soon be ready to make an informed purchase.

Good Luck...CRTs rock

Robert van der Veer

·
Registered
849 Posts
The Sony 12xx projectors are a excellent choice. Low hour units are very cheap lately. You can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks guys, here's a quick question though, what res. do i wanna be using for HTPC dvd playback?

I'm looking at 1280x720 @48HZ

The only thing wrong I find with the sony 1270 is the fact that it only has 40mhz of RGB bandwidth. That can't display 720p right?

Anyone else who has an opinion is free to voice it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The 1270 will display 1280x720 but it was beyond the sweet spot on the one I used to own. I found 600 lines to be ideal but 480 still looked quite good. It actually can be a benefit to have a pj that won't focus quite as sharp. Not many devices output greater than 480p and it's nice to get native output from things like progressive DVD players, XBox, line doublers, etc. that doesn't have blatently obvious scan lines.

The 1270 is an excellent projector - especially for the prices you can get them for these days. They also have a logical and well documented setup process that isn't too hard for a beginner to understand. I would have had a very hard time if my current NEC was my first pj.

BTW, do I recognize your handle from the XBox forums?

-Dylan

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, yeah Dylan...yeah it is me (that ***** against sony XBR's ;) ),

They closed down the hardware forums :( . I wanted an RPTV but F-PJ's are such a better deal so i must become a CRT nut :D .

Hey, here's a question: How many native resolutions does the sony have?

Does it scale everything to it's native (aka. is it a fixed res. proj.).

I wanted to check out the 4101 since it's got 1280x1024 and it has DOUBLE the RGB bandwidth of the Sony 1270. It's also cheaper than the 1270's...is there something SO BAD about it that its less expensive? Or is it just name..... (like those crap XBR's :p )

P.S Dylan, what PJ do you use, and how does xbox look on it? Do you use the M$ AV pack, or the Monster Cables?

(fathoms the possibility of playing rallisport (V2 online ;) ) on a 120" 16:9 screen :D :D :D

·
Registered
695 Posts
Front pj's are a better value than rear pj's as long as you can live with their limitations. The most important is that the room needs to be mostly dark to get an acceptable image and completely dark to get a great image. If you can't control the light then you are better off with something else.

The Sony has exactly zero native resolutions. :) Think of CRT projectors as being like CRT computer monitors. They will display any resolution/refresh rate that is within it's capabilities without scaling. And like computer monitors, even though the electronics may support high resolutions it may look it's best at a resolution lower than the max it supports. For the 1270, most people agree that 600p or 720p are optimal.

I know very little about ElectroHomes. But I doubt the 4101 will really put out a good image at 1280x1024. I don't know which is better. I'd trust Curt's opinion. He knows his stuff and is easy to deal with.

I used to own a 1270 but now I have a NEC 9PG+. I use the MS Advanced A/V pack with the CopperBox GSOD transcoder (rebranded Key Digital). It looks great! There's nothing like playing on a 100" screen with 5.1 surround. It's a whole different experience from the way most people play on little TV's with the built in sound. It's very intense when the screen fills your entire field of image and sound is coming from everywhere. It feels like being in a movie, not playing a video game.

-Dylan

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, thanks man...one more thing, how much was your transcoder? I'm definetly buying one, but I just need to know how much they go for.

Yeah, i'm thinking ofbuying a HIGH gain scree (2.0 - 5.0). Do you think that's a good idea? I'm only going to be watching from straght ahead, and this is to compensate to the EXTREMELY low light output of CRT projectors (100 lumens or so :( )

This way i can get a bigger screen, and not have it really dark. What size screen do you have? (and what aspect ratio).

One LAST thing, if the projector has VGA ports, is it a good idea to just use a standard VGA cable? Will i lose anything by not going Vga-RGB?

And finally, why did u sell your 1270? What do you think are its main limitations? Is the 40MHZ RGB bandwidth the castration factor?

Thanks

- Stormwolf

·
Registered
695 Posts
I bought the Transcoder for $200 but if I were to do it again I'd get the custom transcoder designed by one of the guys in the www.xboxhacker.net forums. He charges something like $75 and he puts in an XBox A/V pack which means less cable mess. He also has accomodated for the sync issues people have had with HDTV to VGA transcoding. The downside is that it only supports 480p but, at this point, I'm not very optimistic about seeing any higher resolution games any time soon.

I agree with most people here that high gain screens don't look good. Some people are happy with the 2.5 gain screens but not any higher. I had a 2.5 screen but replaced it with a 1.3. I was never happy with the hot spotting and color shifting of the high gain screen. But, like most people on this board, I'm very picky. You may have other factors that are more important to you than absolute image quality in low light situations. I won't tell you that you're wrong for what you want. But no matter how high gain your screen I doubt you'll get an acceptable image with sunlight pouring in the room.

VGA is the same as RGB and single cable runs are fine under, say, 50 feet. Make sure you get one that is shielded and get the minimum length that you can get away with. It'll be much cheaper to order online from somewhere like www.cablestogo.com . Later on you may want to try more expensive cables or seperate BNC cables but that's not something you need to mess with right away unless you need to run the cable a long way.

I sold my 1270 because I wanted a pj that could achieve a tighter focus and was quieter. The 1270's limitations are that it doesn't have as tight a beam as more expensive projectors and that it's convergence adjustments are limiting. It's also a noisy thing. But, unless you can find an exceptional deal, you have to spend twice as much (used prices) to get a projector that is a worthwhile improvement.

I know how video bandwidth is calculated but I don't know what it means in practical terms. It can't be an absolute limitation like scanning frequency because the 1270 will project a resolution/refresh rate that calculates to beyond 40 MHz. Maybe someone else can educate us.

It sounds like you are thinking of buying from Curt Palme which is a good thing. The 1270's out there are probably over a decade old and they don't have an hour meter so you want to be sure that you are getting one in good shape from someone who knows how evaluate them.

-Dylan

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Yes, 1270's are hitting an all time low of $300-$500.00 and I've even bought a couple lately just for parts at that price off eBayers that know nothing about the sets, but in every case the blue tube was shot. The green was not far behind either. Scrap projectors for sure, even my dog wouldn't watch them...:)

Going rate for a slightly worn blue tube 1270 is about $850.00 (good for about 5000 hours still) and $1100-$1200 for one good for 7000-8000 hours.

Thanks!

Curt

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Curt, Brand new blues for 1270's are still available to my knowledge. I've got a source that tells me he can procure these every day for less than what you've posted, and in CAN. Let me know if you need any. I can't stand the picture from these sets(too fuzzy for my likeing) or I'd have a bunch of them because of the cheap tube availability.

As for the original question: It doesn't really matter a whole lot which pj you get, but I would say if you want to display a lot of really sharp computer generated stuff, run far away from ANY ES (electrostatic0 focus pj and ONLY consider EM (electromagnetic) focus projectors.

When my obsession first took hold, I couldn't really see the differnce, now I can tell the difference with one glance at a computer desktop. EM focus is necesssary IMHO for properly focussing the fine detail any computer resolution is capable of displaying. This would eliminate both the Sony 1270 series and the ECP line from contention.

Personally, I'd stick with NEC PG and newer, or the fabulous Marquee's. THey have an advantage over the NEC's in that they are so easy to set up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.