AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very overwhelmed with the choices in Large Screen TVs(if that term is still used). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or comments.

I like nice things but am not a TV videophile for lack of a better term. Will spend $ if it gets me a much better product, but want to stay as economical as one can here as well!

I am looking to buy 3 or 4 new tvs. Lost 2 old 35" tube TV lately!

I went to a local store and they suggested?

First One:

Sony Grand Wega 70" (KDF70XBR950). This is for a big room, lots of light during the day. I presently have a SONY 53" KP-53XBR4CT that is about 6 years old. That will mostly get moved to the basement that we are refinishing for the kids.

I am looking for something big with a great picture. Doesn't have to be 70" but want larger than the 53"

Read good things about Samsung as well - open for suggestions.

Second One:

Bedroom TV looking for 35" or greater. Store suggested a 37" Plasma Sony KE37XS910. I origianlly wanted something wall hung but likely can work with a table top - It can go on a dresser. The price for plasma seemed too much for the benefit of wall hang. They priced it at $5499. I think I can get a smaller version of TV #1 for much less $

Open to suggestions.

Third One: Wall hung TV for office. 30" or greater. I watch cnbc or bloomberg TV, CNN 90% of the time. My understanding is plasma can suffer burn in on these type of channels?? LCD would be better?? This TV does need to be wall hung. they suggested a 30" LCD Sony KLV30XBR900.

Open to suggestions.

I want all HDTV TVs. Don't know else as far as requirements. Don't know what is important. It was suggested I ask in this forum?

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is this not an acceptable question? No one knows or no one cares?

I would appreciate the help.

Dan

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Opinion#1: You really need to use a more meaningful subject line. It will draw a lot more readers which, in turn, should get you some more responses.

Opinion#2: It seems like you are thinking of the right issues and are getting good advice (price, burn-in, lots of light in the room may mean some technologies are less appropriate, etc.) I suggest you continue doing research on this site and others to ensure you have all the pros/cons of each technology down pat. After that, let your eyes and wallet make the decision.

BTW, $5500 for a 37" plasma sounds really high. Yeah, you can spend that much, but if it is for less critical viewing, I am sure you can find something either less expensive or larger for the same price.

Cheers,

Bill

·
2,429 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the forum!

Its an acceptable question, but over looked by most. Its such a huge open ended question with limitless responses. What U may suggest is a great display you might hate.

Nothing good is easy. You need to do some homework on your own and decide what technologies you like and which ones look good to you. Look at the "Popular Threads" Post near the top of this forum. Narrow your possible choice and if you still need some input from the member, try then.

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
This is a good question.I am a huge SONY TV fan.I have last years Sony Grand Wega LCD and it is awesome.I have a ton of light in my room during the day it does a great job with a bright room.Also the Sony GW III is even better than mine from last year.The picture,resolution and black level is better.I saw first hand.It looks great.I would not hesitate to buy this TV. Now onto the bedroom TV.I do not like plasmas.I had one and in my opnion it sucked.Please don't mind my language but it did suck.I bought for the WOW factor and I won't buy another one.I would go with a flat panel LCD.The 30inch SONY is a good choice.Also look at the Sharp LCDs.They go all the way up to 37inches in size.If price is not a problem I would go with a flat panel LCD.In my opinion they are just as good as plasma and soon will blow plasma out of the water.Hope this helps J.H. PS Pasma suffers from burn in.With CNN or CNBC its hell on plasma.LCD has no burn in problems.Thats why LCD is a better choice.

·
Registered
151 Posts
IMO don't buy Sony.

Their customer service is the worst and they will leave you hanging when you get a problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the 60XBR950 and bought it primarily because I wanted a HDTV that I could just turn on and watch at any time without having to close curtains or dim the lights. So far it proved to be just great. HD is breathtaking and it does wonders with SD broadcasts.

I've seen the 70' and would have got it were it not for space limitations. This TV definitely falls under the category of "nice things" and you'll be impressed. If you want to go with 70' there's nothing that rivals this set in terms of brightness and image sharpness and clarity. I say go fo it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.