AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,


I've started looking for an LCD HDTV again, and I've found the Philips 42PF9731D/37 and 42PF9831D/37.


I'm curious of any experiences anyone has had, and or any other info people may have come across when researching these sets?

www.froogle.com shows that the 42PF9731D/37 can be found for less than 1.5G's right now. That seems like a decent price to me.


I'm most interested in the CableCARD, and PIP features. PQ is important too.


I'm curious about the sound output too... Does it output digital sound no matter what the sound input is? I want to let the TV be the source selector, and just feed the audio to a 7.1 decoder/amp.


On some brands/models you can disconnect the builtin speakers, and then wire them to your 5.1/7.1 decoder as the center channel speaker. Is that an option here?


The set will start out in my livingroom - 6 8 ft away from viewers I think. Later ti will probably move to my bedroom where it will be 8-10 ft or more away.


I wish there was a 3rd HDMI, or DVI input but I can live with 2 (I think I'll only ever have a PS3 or BluRay player, and an S3 Tivo attached to it.)


Any other suggestions?


I know the 47PF9441D/37 was annouced at CES, but it's short on features (seems more closely related to the 42PF7421D/37) - Anyone know of any 47PF97xxD/37 or 47PF98xxD/37 models coming?


I like some of the sharps too. The specs on the D92U's look good (except no CableCARD), and the stories on the D62U's are frightening. I haven't heard much talk about the D90U's though? Any suggestions there?


Thanks in advance!


-Kyle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,825 Posts
Hey, fellow Philips flat-panel owners


I may have e-mailed some of you the Philips Tips Sheet, which is mostly plasma thread posts but also has some use for LCD owners. I own a Philips 9631 plasma myself.


As some of you may know, I contacted Philips corporate in The Netherlands a while back. I am going to speak to a high-ranking executive (right-hand man to the CEO) later this week on stuff like customer support, marketing, warranties, repairs, etc.


If any of you have any issues you want addressed, post it here or PM or email me.


Thanks, happy HD viewing !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic /forum/post/0

Hey, fellow Philips flat-panel owners


I may have e-mailed some of you the Philips Tips Sheet, which is mostly plasma thread posts but also has some use for LCD owners. I own a Philips 9631 plasma myself.


As some of you may know, I contacted Philips corporate in The Netherlands a while back. I am going to speak to a high-ranking executive (right-hand man to the CEO) later this week on stuff like customer support, marketing, warranties, repairs, etc.


If any of you have any issues you want addressed, post it here or PM or email me.


Thanks, happy HD viewing !

Thanks for the spam!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmcdonald /forum/post/0


Thanks for the spam!

You're the only one who's responded to your own Thread and you call MY POST spam ????



Besides, it is relevant to your thread -- particularly if you ever are forced to speak to a Philips CSR.


Anyway, I'll answer some of your questions since I have looked at the models you're looking at:

Quote:
I'm most interested in the CableCARD, and PIP features. PQ is important too.

9831 got an excellent review in HT Mag. The APTURA technology is kick-ass.

Quote:
I'm curious about the sound output too... Does it output digital sound no matter what the sound input is? I want to let the TV be the source selector, and just feed the audio to a 7.1 decoder/amp.

No, if it's analog it won't be digital. At least not on the plasma lines.

Quote:
On some brands/models you can disconnect the builtin speakers, and then wire them to your 5.1/7.1 decoder as the center channel speaker. Is that an option here?

I haven't done that, but a few friends with Philips plasma and LCD's have.

Quote:
The set will start out in my livingroom - 6 8 ft away from viewers I think. Later ti will probably move to my bedroom where it will be 8-10 ft or more away.

Distance should be fine from 8-10' away....6' is kinda close but doable, esp. the 9831 with the 4 mms response time.

Quote:
I wish there was a 3rd HDMI, or DVI input but I can live with 2 (I think I'll only ever have a PS3 or BluRay player, and an S3 Tivo attached to it.)

Most companies are still at 2 HDMI except for super-high end models. By 2008, you might start to see more since alot of gamers will be utilizing HDMI.

Quote:
Any other suggestions?

The 9831 seems to be the way to go, it's state-of-the-art and might even be better than the Aquos. Check out the HT Mag article -- they really liked the set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic /forum/post/0


You're the only one who's responded to your own Thread and you call MY POST spam ????

That was really why I put the
on it. I was kidding. The only reason spam popped into my head was because you put the exact same message in several thread I just wronte. I didn't think it was really a bad thing.. I was just trying to think of something other than 'bump' to type in that message. Sorry.


Thanks for the answers you wrote too!

Quote:
9831 got an excellent review in HT Mag. The APTURA technology is kick-ass.

It's wierd. In the 42" models both the 9731 and 9831 are 768p panels.

But in the 37" models the 9731 (the cheaper) is a 1080p panel, and the 9831 is still a 720p panel?


I hadn't heard about APTURA before now. I'll have to look that up.


I think I'd like the Ambilight feature, but (since I've never used it) I don't know if it's good enough to warrant giving up some of the other features. Also the 9831 and 9731 (at least on the 42") seem to be identical except for the version of Ambilight? Is the 'full surround' Ambilight in the 9831 worth it?


What other differences are there between the 9731 and 9831?


Quote:
No, if it's analog it won't be digital. At least not on the plasma lines.

Ok. That's a bummer. I prefer to use the TV it self as the AV switch, and then send the audio to an audio only reciever to be switched with the other audio-only sources.


I was reading about this in another thread, and it seems many TV's that do re-send the digital audio out from the HDMI only send Stereo, and not the original surround sound. So I may have to give up on this feature.


That'[s a shame.


I haven't done that, but a few friends with Philips plasma and LCD's have.

/
That's good to know.


Quote:
Distance should be fine from 8-10' away....6' is kinda close but doable, esp. the 9831 with the 4 mms response time.

Actually I'm now home in the living room and the it's probably closer to 10' too. the bedroom might be more. Thanks!



Most companies are still at 2 HDMI except for super-high end models. By 2008, you might start to see more since alot of gamers will be utilizing HDMI.

/
Yeah I only really have plans for 2 truely HDMI sources. I'd like to be able to hook up my computer digitally though, and that would need either a DVI, or third HDMI. It seems like HDMI would almost be a waste since the computer is Video only.


I've noticed some of the new Sharp models have this 3rd plug, and should appear this spring. I think the popular Mitsubishi's on this forum do too. Many of them are 1080 panels too. I may just have to hold my breath for a higher end version of the Philips 47PF9441.

Quote:
The 9831 seems to be the way to go, it's state-of-the-art and might even be better than the Aquos. Check out the HT Mag article -- they really liked the set.

I really need to decide if I want a 1080 panel. If I don't the I think you're right! Still the 9831 seems expensive for a 720p panel at approx $2400.


Thanks again!


-Kyle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmcdonald /forum/post/0


That was really why I put the
on it. I was kidding. The only reason spam popped into my head was because you put the exact same message in several thread I just wronte. I didn't think it was really a bad thing.. I was just trying to think of something other than 'bump' to type in that message. Sorry.

No need to apologize, I was joking too !


Quote:
Thanks for the answers you wrote too!

You're welcome.


Quote:
It's wierd. In the 42" models both the 9731 and 9831 are 768p panels.

But in the 37" models the 9731 (the cheaper) is a 1080p panel, and the 9831 is still a 720p panel?

Could be, I haven't checked the specs. Double-check, Philips already made a boner with the pricing on the upcoming 7422 1080p plasma. I'm surprised the 37" has the 1080p, for sure.

Quote:
I hadn't heard about APTURA before now. I'll have to look that up.

Big improvement in technology. Maybe more important than PixelPlus was years ago.


Quote:
I think I'd like the Ambilight feature, but (since I've never used it) I don't know if it's good enough to warrant giving up some of the other features. Also the 9831 and 9731 (at least on the 42") seem to be identical except for the version of Ambilight? Is the 'full surround' Ambilight in the 9831 worth it?

Ambilight is definitely worth it. That said, 2-sided Ambilight is fine....3-sides is even better, 4 might be overkill. But I'd rather have it than not have it regardless of the number of sides.

Quote:
What other differences are there between the 9731 and 9831?

I know the 9831 has the APTURA. Goto the Philips.com website and punch up the model specs.


I was reading about this in another thread, and it seems many TV's that do re-send the digital audio out from the HDMI only send Stereo, and not the original surround sound. So I may have to give up on this feature.


I haven't done that, but a few friends with Philips plasma and LCD's have.

/
That's good to know.

Quote:
I've noticed some of the new Sharp models have this 3rd plug, and should appear this spring. I think the popular Mitsubishi's on this forum do too. Many of them are 1080 panels too. I may just have to hold my breath for a higher end version of the Philips 47PF9441.

Component isn't bad though having 3 HDMI would be nice.

Quote:
I really need to decide if I want a 1080 panel. If I don't the I think you're right! Still the 9831 seems expensive for a 720p panel at approx $2400.

LCD + Ambilight + APTURA = More $$$

Quote:
Thanks again! -Kyle

Welcome !!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top