AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

Saw the sale on the HD-A2 at Amazon. I set up my system 1 year ago, paring the Panasonic ae900u with the Oppo 971H and thinking I would wait 2 or 3 years until the bulb started to dim, then upgrading the PJ and the DVD player at the same time, pending a winner in the HD-DVD wars. However, this deal looks pretty sweet. I run the Oppo thru the DVI to an HK 645 and use the optical input for audio. It looks very good, but I think it could be better. Has anyone done this switchout on a similar projector? Was the quality difference significant? Should I keep the Oppo hooked up specifically for upscaling SD DVD's as opposed to using the Toshiba? At this price, even if Toshiba loses the war, who cares. Would love to hear what someone who has done a similar upgrade would say. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I'd only keep the oppo if you need the region free abilities.

Quote:
Has anyone done this switchout on a similar projector?

I convinced a friend to go HDDVD after letting him borrow my HDA2 to compare with his Oppo 970. This is on a 1280x720p Epson projector - so would be very similar to the Panasonic you have.

He was suitably impressed, and so was I (first time i'd seen HDDVD on a projector).

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I have the same projector, and also own a 970, 971, and A2. On SD, I slightly prefer the 970 upconversion, but the A2 has been close enough that I don't bother to switch.

On HD DVD, there's no comparison. On the whole, HD is so far superior to SD that it renders slight upconversion differences insignificant.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I bought a HD-A2 a couple of months ago for use with my Panasonic PT-AX100U projector (1280x720). I didn't buy it to replace or "upgrade" my Faroudja/HDMI equipped Panasonic DVD-S97, but I do think it's comparable for playing regular DVDs and haven't used the S97 much since. I should confess that I only had the S97 set to output 480p since I didn't see much point to upscaling from a 480p source to 720p.

The Toshiba HD-A2 (or D2) is a solid unit and, in my opinion, $249 at Costco or Sam's is a steal. The only shortcomings I've noted compared to the S97 would be longer start-up time, no DVD-Audio support, and a bit more more finicky with low quality SD DVDs.

I plan to use the HD-A2 until I upgrade to a 1080p projector, which will be when 2000 lumen, 1080p projectors can be had for $2000 or less.

Bradley

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just sold my Oppo 971 over the weekend. After an hour of comparing the D2 with the Oppo using SD DVDs, I was convinced the D2 is better or at least equal than the Oppo in terms of PQ. The one significant area where the D2 outdid the Oppo was the audio quality. The D2 was significantly sharper for all dvds played.

The only area where the Oppo was a better fit was with 4:3 SD DVDs, where the D2's image is rather small due to the black borders around the entire picture.

Also the Oppo was able to zoom in on very widescreen aspect ratios using the zoom feature,(albeit losing PQ) something the D2 does not have.

In the end I did not want to keep both and the D2 seemed like the logical choice.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Uh, ya, MAJOR upgrade. I went through this exact thing about a year ago. Same projector, same player. Did I say MAJOR upgrade? When I talk about a major upgrade though, I mean the quality of HD-DVDs over SD-DVDs. The upconverting quality of the A2 might be better; once I got an HD-DVD player, I stopped watching SD-DVDs in my main theater though. Most likely, once you get an A2, the only thing you'll be using your Oppo for is PAL and other region disks.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Significant would be an understatement. SD does not compare to real 1080p HD goodness.

I have a Momitsu V880, which I got for its great upconversion and region free capability. I only have two non-region 1/0 movies. Once I get a hold of Hero and House of Flying Daggers on HD DVD (which will probably be in a looong time), I'm selling the Momitsu.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

eapleitez said:
Significant would be an understatement. SD does not compare to real 1080p HD goodness.

It wouldn't be 1080p, it would be 720p. 1080p would be later, when I upgrade the projector. The price quickly went back up to $300. I know it seems cheap, but I'd like to see it drop again before taking the plunge. From the comments here, though, it sounds like it is something I should do. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keric /forum/post/0

Sorry forgot to mention it was over Toslink (optical) for both the Oppo and the D2 not HDMI into receiver.

So, over optical, you're experiencing "sharper" sound from the D2 (I assume that's an HD-A2)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.