AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the a new Pio 320 a few weeks ago. Will be used in source direct mode with 576i/1080i content scaled by HQV Reon later in the chain. 1080p24 is untouched all the way to the display. Due to a bug in my DLP FP YCbCr 4:2:2 color space->RGB conversion is broken, so I'm forced to use RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4 from the source.

My original plan was to buy a different BD-player and a 980 for (PAL) DVD´s. Anyone avaluated the Pionner 320 against the Oppo 980 as digital DVD transport? Any observations appreciated!

·
Banned
514 Posts
I don't have neither player. I have the Oppo's 983 and the 83 and they look terrific on my Mit DLP with a slight edge to the 83. I have heard/read that the 80 puts out a good picture and delivers a good sound.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I had an Oppo 981 that was used a couple dozen times and died sitting in the rack--wasn't even on/in use, got up one morning and all the lights were on and it was locked up. Before this time it did a decent job, but was more likely to suffer from macroblocking on some movies than the Panasonic S97 I used to also own (I stupidly sold it when I got a blu-ray and kept the Oppo since it could be made region free--BIG mistake, the panny was much more polished and did a better job overall than the Oppo and it still works for the person who bought it, unlike my Oppo). I just purchased a Pioneer 420 as a replacement and will let my Denon receiver do the upconversion, and expect IT will probably be more likely to still work a couple years down the road (had a Pioneer dvd player back in the day I eventually gave away and still works as well). I'd avoid Oppo myself.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I tried an Oppo DV-980H a little over a year ago. It had exceptional upscaling (very crisp and detailed - best I ever saw). I absolutely would have kept it save for an audio bug on the one I bought (very thin, tinny sound). By the time I returned it Oppo was out of stock permanently so I just got a refund. I've read the the Pioneer 320 is a very good upscaler - not as good as the Oppo Blu-Ray players, but better than average.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.