AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This little Oppo is the first HDCDP I've ever had and I've been curious to play around with it a bit. When I put in an HDCD the player doesn't seem to do anything that would tell me it's doing anything different with it vs. a plain old CD. It's been my understanding that an HDCD player will somehow display the fact that it has an HDCD but I can't seem to find anything online or in the manual regarding HDCD playback with this unit. Can anyone give me a hand?

Regards,

jc

·
Registered
399 Posts
the oppo doesnt seem to have a HDCD indicator like most other CDP's that support HDCD, i guess we just have to take their word that it play the HDCD's

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kray
the oppo doesnt seem to have a HDCD indicator like most other CDP's that support HDCD, i guess we just have to take their word that it play the HDCD's
That's kind of a bummer but since this isn't why I bought the player I'm not going to complain too much. Thanks for the reply.

jc

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I'm not clear if it actually decodes hdcd or is just capable of playing hdcd disks (like any other cd player). Anyone know more about this?

·
Registered
15,827 Posts
Every CD player will play an HDCD-encoded CD. But only some will actually decode it (and provide the full benefit from it). I have never heard of an HDCD-decoding player that does not have an indicator light that tells you it is decoding it. I have a feeling the Oppo does not decode HDCD.

·
Registered
15,827 Posts
Jim, there's nothing about HDCD decoding mentioned in the description of the Oppo on either the Amazon or the Oppo web site. What makes you think it decodes HDCD?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I believe it lists HDCD as a function, though it doesn't specifically say it "decodes" HDCD. Technically, they can say that they can play "hybrid SACD" also (but of course, this will only bring more confusion).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
Jim, there's nothing about HDCD decoding mentioned in the description of the Oppo on either the Amazon or the Oppo web site. What makes you think it decodes HDCD?
I believe it says it does on the website: http://www.oppodigital.com/

"Functions:

* DVD Video/Audio, Divx/MPEG4, VCD, SVCD, CD, HDCD, WMA, DVDR/RW, CD-R/RW, Kodak Picture"

While the manual doesn't mention it, on the actual player I received it has a cardboard tag with the HDCD logo on it. At this point I'm assuming that it's at least supposed to handle HDCD.

*I've emailed support at Oppo since I'm not the only one with questions on this issue.

jc

·
Registered
734 Posts
My guess would be that the player's analog outputs would have to be used to send the HDCD decoded material. If you have the unit hooked to your preamp via digital connection, you are allowing the preamp to decode the cd. So using a digital connection, unless your preamp or receiver has HDCD decoding, you would only get the regular cd stream.

Short answer....use rca jacks to see if there is a difference. :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
If you need a little light to tell you whether it's decoding HDCD. then who cares if it's decoding it or not? You need someone to tell you it sounds better? :)

--

Steve

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanefsky
If you need a little light to tell you whether it's decoding HDCD. then who cares if it's decoding it or not? You need someone to tell you it sounds better? :)
I understand. It would be nice to know if the feature is working. The first time I listened to an HDCD on an equipped player, I had no idea it was HDCD or even what HDCD was. The sound was very good, and I saw the light on the front panel. I was mildly impressed.

Although it's arguable whether you can tell the difference, if the specs say that the feature is there, then it should be there in all its lit up glory ;).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm including the response from the terrific support staff at Oppo. In my original email to them I told them I would do this unless they objected. They didn't. I haven't seen the indicators referenced fwiw, but I'll double check again tonight.

Jim,

The OPDV971H fully supports HDCD. When a HDCD track or HDCD disc is

played, the on screen display (OSD) will show "HDCD" briefly. During

the entire track, the front panel display will show the "HDCD" icon.

When a standard CD track is played, the OSD will show "CD" briefly and

the front panel display will show the "CD" icon.

HDCD decoding is done by the OPDV971H if analog audio output is used.

When digital audio output is in use, it is the responsibility of the AV

receiver to decode the HDCD digital stream.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc.

453 Ravendale Dr, Suite D

Mountain View, CA 94043
[email protected]

Tel: 650-961-1118

Fax: 650-961-1119

Check out the new OPPO DVD home theater system
http://www.oppodigital.com/opdl317.html

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
OK. I popped in an HDCD cd. The Oppo does display HDCD on the screen for a second and there is a HDCD indicator on the front panel of the dvd player.

Reactions: Paul.R.S
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.