AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell us what do you like and dislike about using the 105 or 105D as a pre/ pro? In addition tell us what improvement you would like to see so the OPPO Replace your AVR

·
Registered
724 Posts
Here's my experiences on this.

My thought initially was just like most of ours would be: The shorter the signal path, the less sound degradation, the better. Running straight from the source would bypass a whole other piece of equipment, and provided the volume control on the OPPO is mostly lossless, we can only gain signal integrity.

So, I tried it running straight from the OPPO to my amp (Ayre V-5xe, bypassing my K-5xe MP preamp) and the music sounded very sweet and airy, with beautiful sound staging. Problem was, I seemed to be missing low end punch, and highs lost crispness. What was wrong? Why was I losing sonic power?

Spoke with my dealer and he explained that players are not designed to put out enough power to drive an amplifier. They're designed to be fed into a preamp, and the preamp has much more power at its output stage than a player does, and thus is able to drive an amplifier to a superior dynamic range. Dynamic range being exactly what I was missing.

Discussed it with a friend of mine who's a sound engineer, and he explained that one of the differences between pro gear and home gear is that pro amps have a very high input impedance, whereas home amps have a very low input impedance. When an amp has very low input impedance, essentially, the flood gates are wide open and the amp is sucking all the juice out of your input device--hence why home preamps have very high output voltages, it's in order to drive an amp that would have low input impedance.

So unfortunately, yet again theory (or hope) does not always match up to reality, in terms of using a direct path from player to amp. One could still very effectively hook up their OPPO straight into an amp, it just has to have a high input impedance. That would be lovely to hear, and I can't see why a pro amp, or even home amp with high input impedance, wouldn't play just fine with the OPPO by themselves.

Hope this helps,

Omar

·
Read the FAQ!
35,788 Posts

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Looks like I should be good

CA-M600   600W MonAural Amplifier

All tests un-weighted and 500kHz measurement bandwidth (except SNR)

Frequency response

1 Hz - 100 kHz, -3dB

Output power

600W rms into 8Ω (27.8 dBW)

1200W rms into 4Ω (27.8 dBW)

Harmonic Distortion

90dB below fundamental into 4Ω balanced / single ended

Signal to Noise Ratio

-120dB at peak output into 8Ω

Measurement Bandwidth: 22 kHz

Output impedance

0.03Ω @ 1 kHz

Standby power consumption

Rated power consumption

440W @ 1/8th power into 8Ω

Width

17.5” (444mm)

Depth

17.52” (445mm)

Height

8.78” (223mm)

Gross weight

100 lb (45.4 kg)

Net weight

88 lb (39.9 kg)

Mains voltage

Specified on rear panel

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

And also

CA-5200 - POWER AMPLIFIER

The CA-5200 is a 5 x 200W model, based on the same channels used in the CA-2200. Power supply components are large enough to allow for the greater power demands of five channels without sacrificing performance. Design features include balanced circuitry, overbuilt power supplies and oversized output stages to ensure the highest performance at every output level, with any loudspeaker.

models

(balanced inputs)
CA-5200
voltage gain29.1dB
bandwidth

phase
155kHz (-3dB)

22kHz (-0.1dB)
sensitivity1.4Vrms
power/channel (continuous)

(120VAC line, 1kHz signal regulated to 1% THD + noise into resistive load, all channels driven)
load (resistive) 
200W
370W
THD + noise (unweighted, 10Hz - 500kHz bandwidth, 1Vrms/1kHz input)
load (resistive) 
none0.002%
0.003%
0.005%
noiseFFT noise floor peaks all below –95dBV

(with terminated inputs)
S/N ratio (relative to 1kHz sine wave full level output into 8Ω)108dB

height

depth

(excluding

connectors)

width
gross

weight
net

weight
8.75” (222 mm)21.0” (534 mm)17.5” (445 mm)133 lbs (60 kg)121 lbs (55 kg)
idle power consumption348W
rated power consumption1056W

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse  /t/1521830/oppo-bdp-105-105d-as-a-pre-pro#post_24461955

Tell us what do you like and dislike about using the 105 or 105D as a pre/ pro? In addition tell us what improvement you would like to see so the OPPO Replace your AVR
I had my 105 hooked up to Emotiva XPA-2. Low-end punch was very present and tight - I had to remove paintings from the walls (at Oppo's volume of 100%).

I was using Oppo's XLR outs and silver cables.

Now I am planning to switch to NCore monoblocks as soon as I assemble them - I am curios how they would sound with a straight connection to Oppo .

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RouslanB  /t/1521830/oppo-bdp-105-105d-as-a-pre-pro#post_24470241 I had my 105 hooked up to Emotiva XPA-2. Low-end punch was very present and tight - I had to remove paintings from the walls (at Oppo's volume of 100%).
What do you mean you had to remove paintings from the wall?  WAS IT TO LOUD?
I was using Oppo's XLR outs and silver cables.  Now I am planning to switch to NCore monoblocks as soon as I assemble them - I am curios how they would sound with a straight connection to Oppo .

·
Registered
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau  /t/1521830/oppo-bdp-105-105d-as-a-pre-pro#post_24468868

^ Check out this white paper (PDF file) posted by OPPO UK. They recommend you use an amp with an input impedance of 47K ohms or greater, which is actually not that unusual for home theater amps:

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/BDP-105EU%20Direct%20Power%20Amplifier%20Connection%20V2.pdf

--Bob

Thanks for the info!

It was actually my 95 that I tried hooking straight up, I figured the 105 would be the same.

I tried hooking my 105D straight up today, and it sounds very good, ESP. with asynch DAC and Audirvana direct/integer/upsampling.

Omar

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse  /t/1521830/oppo-bdp-105-105d-as-a-pre-pro#post_24470604
It was VERY LOUD at 100 - to the point pictures on the wall started to vibrate.

Speakers were on spiked platforms with vibro-contol (Vibro-pods).

Promise, I would never do it again

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
bggest problem is the inability to use the trims in dsd mode. it,s great in stereo to my mac amps to n802, but the balance is off in mch.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

OPPO BDP-105 rocks as a pre/pro I wish they would include additional functionality such as automated EQ

·
Registered
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman  /t/1521830/oppo-bdp-105-105d-as-a-pre-pro#post_24483499

bggest problem is the inability to use the trims in dsd mode. it,s great in stereo to my mac amps to n802, but the balance is off in mch.

I had this problem, then just switched to PCM output. All trims working. Did not notice any loss of resolution, but didn't a/b very much yet. ***NOTE: DSD output is about 6-7 dB louder than PCM. With PCM output, your sound levels will be the same as with all your other multichannel music.

Omar

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF  /t/1521830/oppo-bdp-105-105d-as-a-pre-pro#post_24484815

I had this problem, then just switched to PCM output. All trims working. Did not notice any loss of resolution, but didn't a/b very much yet. ***NOTE: DSD output is about 6-7 dB louder than PCM. With PCM output, your sound levels will be the same as with all your other multichannel music.

Omar

I will have to try

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF  /t/1521830/oppo-bdp-105-105d-as-a-pre-pro#post_24484815

Omar

Tried it a lot and i like the DSD direct mode better.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman  /t/1521830/oppo-bdp-105-105d-as-a-pre-pro#post_24485977

Tried it a lot and i like the DSD direct mode better.

Yes the DSD mode sound fuller to me as well especially straight to the amps

I finally realized what I was missing with the SSP-800 which unfortunately does not support DSD

·
Registered
192 Posts
wse,

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1511029/my-humble-set-up

Very nice components. I'm jealous.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubObjective99  /t/1521830/oppo-bdp-105-105d-as-a-pre-pro#post_24486900

wse,

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1511029/my-humble-set-up

Very nice components. I'm jealous.

Thank you, it took me a long time and a few sacrifices to get there

·
Registered
192 Posts
^ I just love your speakers and your Classe gear. I have the Classe CA-200 power amp and the CP-50 pre-amp from the 90's and also the B&W 801 Matrix Series III speakers also from the 90's. I still love them all. I guess I'm just an old-school 2-channel man.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubObjective99  /t/1521830/oppo-bdp-105-105d-as-a-pre-pro#post_24487726

^ I just love your speakers and your Classe gear. I have the Classe CA-200 power amp and the CP-50 pre-amp from the 90's and also the B&W 801 Matrix Series III speakers also from the 90's. I still love them all. I guess I'm just an old-school 2-channel man.

Thank you I intend to keep that rig until it goes bust so 15 years would be great

·
Registered
28 Posts
I swapped out the receiver for the Oppo 105 as a test, to see if I could stand using it as a pre-processor. My conclusions:

1. It can, in theory, replace a receiver, and it sounds good. Not sure it sounds better than with the receiver in the path though.

2. If you had level of complexity in your home theater setup, this gets old quickly (or at least it did for me)

Setting up the speaker configuration and levels is a bit a pain - the user interface could use improvement. But that is something you do once and forget.

The lack of HDMI inputs is a pain. In my setup (inside a cabinet) I can only use the back port. I hooked up an HDMI switch. Standing up every time I want use the Chromecast or cable or Apple TV gets tiring quickly (and the quality of Netflix on the Oppo105 is poor compared to the Chromecast, by the way - not sure why that is). If you want Amazon VOD you need access to a Roku too, because at this writing the Oppo will not help you there.

Not being able to trigger the the rest of the equipment to turn one when I turn one the Oppo (no trigger out) is a *real* pain (for me).

The absence of composite or component video inputs is a pain. I still watch VHS in my home theater (there is old material that I only have in VHS). And I cannot connect an older camcorder or really anything lacking HDMI.

The volume control/attenuator is ok, but I quickly missed the physical knob on my receiver the first time I had to lower the volume in a hurry. And even hooked up to a Sunfire 400x5, I felt it was not matching the output level the pre produced. Felt like less-than-unity gain.

Not having a way to apply dolby prologic quickly to a source by pressing a button? THAT is a pain. You can, in theory, go back to the main menu and turn on DTS neo 6 for either music or cinema, but it is a slow cumbersome process.

So....

Can it work as pre/pro? Yes if you have only a couple of HDMI connections and make do w/o the conveniences you take for granted in an AV receiver.

Does it sound that much better to warrant doing? Not in my opinion, certainly not with my equipment. I am going back to my receiver as the control center.

PS: Good news are: the DAC kicks butt! Best DAC I have had so far - and that is on lowly 24/96 stuff - I have yet to play the higher def stuff or DSD!! Incredible resolution. And the Darbee processor is worth every penny for video!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts