AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to downsize my system & the BDP-83 looks like it might fit the bill nicely. My current CA 840C player sounds fantastic but I would give serious consideration in selling it & using the BDP-83 for all my audio/video needs. I'm going on reviews that claim that the analog stage is very good. Even if it comes close the the CA 840's performance I think I'd be tempted to make the switch. Any opinions? Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can't comment on the BDP-83 but will say I am happy with the audio performance of Oppo's 980. You may get more pertinent replies if you post your query in one of the Oppo BDP-83 threads in the Blu-ray player section of AVS.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My limited impressions are here .

It was a simple CD setup Oppo (in pure audio mode) -> stereo RCA -> stereo power amplifier -> 2 speakers. I used the digital volume control on the Oppo. Some have concerns about the digital volume control's compression of the sound. Since it was a new experience for me with a simplified CD setup I have limited references, however I didn't hear or spot any compression.

Regardless, I was impressed and feel that Oppo put work into the BDP-83 as a standalone audio playback machine. With the direct connection I made, I worried about turn on thumps. There is none. I also worried about the digital volume control resetting to 100% after turning the player on and off. It does not. There are no other major disappointing usability surprizes I ran into listening to CD/HDCD/SACD/DVD-A and it's loading speed is FAST.

The only things I'd wish for from the digital volume control is more granularity in the lower volumes. The volume goes from 0-100 in increments of 5. It'd be nice to see 1 or 2 increments from 0-30 or even allowing us to choose the volume increment ourselves. Also as with my original review, it media player should really display what's highlighted on screen on the front panel display. This would truely make the BDP useful when navigating content on USB drives since you usually do not want to turn on a TV to playback music.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought the BDP 83 thinking it would be my only player. I have Redbook CDs, SACD, DVD-A and Blu-Ray discs, along with dozens of DVDs.

The only problem with the unit is the cooling fan. I sit just five or six feet from the player and after it's been on for a few hours, the cooling fan switches on. If I'm watching a movie I don't notice it, since the TV also has a cooling fan and movie soundtracks rarely have really quiet sections.

But when listening to classical music, there are plenty of quiet passages, and then the TV is turned of, and the fan noise of the 83 is loud enough to hear.

So I have kept my Oppo 980 in the system for music.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White /forum/post/16924762

I bought the BDP 83 thinking it would be my only player. I have Redbook CDs, SACD, DVD-A and Blu-Ray discs, along with dozens of DVDs.

The only problem with the unit is the cooling fan. I sit just five or six feet from the player and after it's been on for a few hours, the cooling fan switches on. If I'm watching a movie I don't notice it, since the TV also has a cooling fan and movie soundtracks rarely have really quiet sections.

But when listening to classical music, there are plenty of quiet passages, and then the TV is turned of, and the fan noise of the 83 is loud enough to hear.

I am a huge Oppo fan, but if it has a cooling fan in it, that is a huge bummer for me.... If it is in a rack far enough away then fine, but if I was using it for a redbook CD Player and SACD that would be a huge turnoff. I heard great things about the new XA-5300 CD/SACD player by Sony, of course more expensive but built like a tank with RCA/XLR and HDMI outputs for sound and no fan.

·
Registered
14,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White /forum/post/16924762

Peter,

I bought the BDP-83 thinking the same thing. But I also found the fan noise to be noticable from 7'-8' away (I have a open rack). With the BDP-83 I had the fan would come on sometimes after a very short time the player was on. I found the fan fairly loud more than the fans in my Panasonic plasma.

I eventually returned the BDP-83 and asked Oppo to test it to see if there was an issue with the unit I had. I never did check back with Oppo to see if there was an issue though.

Bill

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/16933311

...I eventually returned the BDP-83...

I've yet to directly see it from other AVS posters, but I can easily believe that the OPPO BDP-83 disc player is marginal (at best) with CD playback.

FWIW, my 3rd gen Toshiba A35 player (HD-DVD) *sucks* at CD playback.

Cheers

·
Registered
771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsall001 /forum/post/16922037

I'd like to downsize my system & the BDP-83 looks like it might fit the bill nicely. My current CA 840C player sounds fantastic but I would give serious consideration in selling it & using the BDP-83 for all my audio/video needs. I'm going on reviews that claim that the analog stage is very good. Even if it comes close the the CA 840's performance I think I'd be tempted to make the switch. Any opinions? Thanks.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I needed a Blu-ray player, but already have the CA 640c V2, and thought I could also downsize if the BDP-83 could equal or be better than my 640c.

I configured my system to do the following comparisons:

Comparison 1: BDP-83 vs 640c via analog outs

* BDP-83 analog out, AVR set to Pure Direct (so the 83's DACs were the only D/As in the chain)

* 640c analog out, AVR set to Pure Direct (so the 640c's DACs were the only

Comparison 2: BDP-83 vs 640c via digital outs

* BDP-83 HDMI connected to AVR, AVR set to Pure Direct (AVR DACs were the only D/As in the chain

* 640c digital/optical connected to AVR, AVR set to Pure Direct (AVR DACs were the only D/As in the chain)

I had two exact copies of Bryan Ferry's "Boys and Girls" that I put into the BDP-83 and 640c and manually synch'd both to play at the same time.

I then switched back and forth in real time between both players to compare the two.

I used the volume control on the BDP-83 to LEVEL MATCH both players. The volume setting on the 83 was practically full up -so I had minimal concerns over any compression effects on the SQ.

In MY opinion, on MY system, using MY ears - I prefered the sound of the 640c for analog connections in Pure Direct. The sonic quality sounded better, to me: bigger soundstage, more detailed and revealing. The 83 does a very good job with CDs - not trying to poopoo its quality, but the 640c is a dedicated CD player with dual Wolfson DACs and it sounds a bit better - to me.

When I connected the players up digitally, then the sonic signature was more related to the DACs in the AVR - and the difference between the 83 and 640c became inaudible, to me.

And I've just started to dabble in SACDs - and gave Dark Side of the Moon a play over the weekend on the 83.....WOW!!!!!! Way clean, clear, sounds I never knew were there - and the multi-channel mix was incredibly clever and well done. I can't play SACDs in the 640c.

So - both players are staying in my rig.

ymmv of course,

Erik

·
Registered
654 Posts
Modwright, ASI-TEK, EVS and RAM are working on (or may already have available) mods for the BDP-83 to improve the analog outputs among other things. Then again, you could buy several new BDP-83's after you invest in the mods.

For a $500 machine that can play almost any format, costs needed to be cut somewhere.

·
Registered
463 Posts
the oppo 83 is great, esp with sacd--cd is very good

fan noise, when it on, is noticeable, at times, but i have only heard it come on once or twice--indeed until reading this, i had never realized it had a fan, but i FINALLY HEARD IT.....

THANKS a lot.....

Personally i think you can get a clearly better cd player, but it needs to be dedicated to cd and you will be spending above $1,000 for it...

mine currently is a Sony XA9000ES, and the sony does play cds better, as to sacd, that is very hard to say as to which is better (But the sony when new they cost so much more---although i bought mine used for 900--so the sony must better---hahahaha)

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
IMO using any DVD player for serious (as in high fidelity) audio playback, CD or otherwise, is not the best option. Right now I am extremely satisifed with the H/K DMC1000 I recently purchased on closeout (see the thread in this forum) which I use with a Benchmark DAC-1. Sound quality from this setup in my system is nothing short of amazing, though much of the credit goes to my speakers, amp and preamp as well. SACD and DVD-A are not supported, but IMO the improvement in red-book CD you hear (with a good DAC) will make that moot. And the convenience factor of having all your music on a HDD is off the charts. I think the DMC1000 is still available for the tremendous bargain price of $399 (originally $2,995) at harmanaudio.com, and they have a 30 day return policy if you want to try it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have the Oppo BD83 an Oppo 980H and the Cambridge Audio 840C Cd player playing through a Bryston Sp1.7 processor and amplification with B&W speakers in a well treated room. Here is my opinion. I like the 840C for cd playback over the oppo. The differences are noticable to me. The 840C is like smooth Dove chocolate to the Oppo's Hershey's bar. I use the oppo for the HIRez formats and it is very good, although I may spring to get the oppo heavily modded soon. The oppo really can't compete with the 840c in cd playback, but the oppo's other features make it a good one box choice for most people. I use Harmonic tech truth link cables for both units' stereo outs set to bypass in my processor. the fan has never been heard to make it an issue for me. Keep the 840!-Pete

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 /forum/post/17171757

I have the Oppo BD83 an Oppo 980H and the Cambridge Audio 840C Cd player playing through a Bryston Sp1.7 processor and amplification with B&W speakers in a well treated room.

Well there's a statement of decent alternatives!

Quote:

Here is my opinion. I like the 840C for cd playback over the oppo.

IMO, no big surprise there.

Quote:

The differences are noticable to me. The 840C is like smooth Dove chocolate to the Oppo's Hershey's bar. I use the oppo for the HIRez formats and it is very good, although I may spring to get the oppo heavily modded soon. The oppo really can't compete with the 840c in cd playback, but the oppo's other features make it a good one box choice for most people. I use Harmonic tech truth link cables for both units' stereo outs set to bypass in my processor. the fan has never been heard to make it an issue for me. Keep the 840!-Pete

Even though i've never had any hands/ears on experience with an 840, I agree on keeping the 840!

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Oppo 980H and the Simaudio CD-1 and I find that in my system, on redbook, each player has its strengths and weaknesses. The Simaudio is smoother, more refined with better texture/richness to the sonics and sounds a bit grander. The Oppo counters with tauter bass, more dynamic contrasts and better rhythm. Shockingly to me, it was much, much closer in terms of overall performance than I had originally thought.

The supporting equipment includes Bryston B60 integrated biamped with a Bryston 2B-lp into Totem Arros & Dreamcatcher sub combo.

·
Registered
22,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cdnm3 /forum/post/17232740

I have the Oppo 980H and the Simaudio CD-1 and I find that in my system, on redbook, each player has its strengths and weaknesses. The Simaudio is smoother, more refined with better texture/richness to the sonics and sounds a bit grander. The Oppo counters with tauter bass, more dynamic contrasts and better rhythm. Shockingly to me, it was much, much closer in terms of overall performance than I had originally thought.

The supporting equipment includes Bryston B60 integrated biamped with a Bryston 2B-lp into Totem Arros & Dreamcatcher sub combo.

FWIW, the Oppo 980 and the Oppo BDP-83 have nothing in common in the analog outputs. The difference on 2-ch output is clearly audible to me.

·
Registered
330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/17232907

FWIW, the Oppo 980 and the Oppo BDP-83 have nothing in common in the analog outputs. The difference on 2-ch output is clearly audible to me.

I would agree with that the analog outputs on the 980H and BDP-83 sound different. After extensive listening to the 83, 980h and cambridge audio 840c, using the 2ch analog outputs, I still give my nod the the 840c on CD PLAYBACK. The SACD/DVDA on the 83 is very good, but I'm entertaining the thought of modding the 83's analog section...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts