AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Beta Test Participants,

We are posting a new beta firmware version today. The firmware can be downloaded from http://128.242.116.6/download/UPG20090105.zip

Alternatively, if the network connection for your BDP-83 is working, you can try upgrading via the Internet (Setup Menu - Device Setup - Firmware Upgrade - Via Network). The process is not refined but should work if you wait long enough for it to search and download the firmware file.

This firmware version is compiled from our Profile 2.0 code branch. At this time we believe all beta participants have upgraded to the Profile 2.0 firmware, so we will no longer repeat the special caution regarding upgrading from a Profile 1.1 firmware. In case you still have a Profile 1.1 firmware (version 1212 or older) on your unit, please contact me for upgrade instructions.

This revision includes a new decoder pack (v3752) from our decoder chip maker and a new Micro-Controller Unit (MCU) firmware version. The changes include:

* General stability and disc compatibility improvements.

* Minor changes to HDMI handshake handling. Please contact me if you encounter HDMI handshake issues.

* SACD track transition is further refined. For tracks that should be played continuously without a gap, there will be no gap. If the disc specifies that a gap should be inserted between two tracks, the play time for the first track will be extended to enable the gap.

* SAP and PIP marks are set to Off when resetting the player to factory default settings.

* The speaker configuration is set to 7.1ch when resetting the player to factory default settings.

* The previous firmware versions do not apply Y/C delay setting after the user changes the output resolution. This version fixes the problem so Y/C delay setting is applied after switching output resolution.

* The screen saver problem of the last version is fixed.

* A text display overlay error in the Network Setup menu is fixed.

* For video files that the player cannot reliably detect for aspect ratio, the player defaults to 16:9 (same as our DVD players).

* When playback of a video file is stopped by pressing the STOP button twice, the player now returns to the file browser menu.

* The MCU firmware contains reliability enhancement for HDMI CEC functions.

Please note that if you have a sample unit with E202 serial number, the MCU firmware cannot be upgraded. The MCU upgrade step will fail but you will only be missing the changes to the HDMI CEC functions.

Your feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you very much for the help in this beta test process.

Best regards,

Jason J. Liao

CTO & VP of Product Development

OPPO Digital, Inc

2629 Terminal Blvd. Suite B

Mountain View, CA 94043

Tel: 650-810-1619

Fax: 650-961-1119
www.oppodigital.com

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Holy Cow! I downloaded and installed the new firmware using the wireless network connection in slightly under two minutes. Over half the time was spent "searching."

Dana

·
Read the FAQ!
36,027 Posts
Someone please go into Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information and report what the MCU version number is supposed to be after this firmware install.

I did a network install and -- after the main firmware installed -- the MCU portion of it spent a LONG time saying it was doing the upgrade without showing any signs of progress. I turned my back and when I looked back again the splash screen was up and the unit was powering off. So I'm not certain the new MCU firmware actually got installed.

--Bob

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two Holy Cows! The Special Features menu on "The Sand Pebbles" BD is now accessible using the 83 remote! This is the fastest fix I have ever experienced!

On the other hand, it might be the nut that's loose on the remote.

Dana

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/15479842

Someone please go into Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information and report what the MCU version number is supposed to be after this firmware install.

I did a network install and -- after the main firmware installed -- the MCU portion of it spent a LONG time saying it was doing the upgrade without showing any signs of progress. I turned my back and when I looked back again the splash screen was up and the unit was powering off. So I'm not certain the new MCU firmware actually got installed.

--Bob

MCU83-17-1231

Dana

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
ATTENTION

For those upgrading to the new fw...
I just finished installing it via ethernet and it appears that my player MAY be fubar
!!!!
I'll keep messing with it, but when I turn it on, the power button turns blue but NOTHING else works!
Nothing on the -83's display and nothing on screen!

USE EXTREME CAUTION... maybe wait to see if this is doesn't happen to all players.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/15480007

I see now that you guys are not having problems after upgrading.

My player may be fubar here

How about downloading the firmware onto a USB stick and seeing if the 83 will reinstall the update?

Hope it or some other idea works.

Dana

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi /forum/post/15480045

How about downloading the firmware onto a USB stick and seeing if the 83 will reinstall the update?

Dana

I will try that. So far only the power button works... that's it. With the power button on the remote, or power button on the player, or eject button on the player... all of those make the power button turn blue, but that's it. The tray won't even open, no display, no signal output, no other response.

Will try USB...

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I'm going to try the network update in a few minutes. We'll see what happens here...

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi /forum/post/15480045

Dana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/15480077

I will try that. So far only the power button works... that's it. With the power button on the remote, or power button on the player, or eject button on the player... all of those make the power button turn blue, but that's it. The tray won't even open, no display, no signal output, no other response.

Will try USB...

No go with USB. When I stick the drive in the player, the USB stick lights up for maybe a half second then goe dead.

This sucks.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk /forum/post/15480098

I'm going to try the network update in a few minutes. We'll see what happens here...

Update worked via network. Did the whole update while slicing an apple. Off to put the little one to bed.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/15480188

No go with USB. When I stick the drive in the player, the USB stick lights up for maybe a half second then goe dead.

This sucks.

It may be small consolation but if Jason can determine what happened, it could be important that the cause be discovered and rectified before the 83 goes into wider distribution.

Unless you can hit upon a fix. Have you tried pulling the power cord and letting it sit for awhile?

Dana

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi /forum/post/15480220

It may be small consolation but if Jason can determine what happened, it could be important that the cause be discovered and rectified before the 83 goes into wider distribution.

Unless you can hit upon a fix. Have you tried pulling the power cord and letting it sit for awhile?

Dana

Ya I tried that. Pulled the plug for about 5 minutes. Looks like it's truly bricked.

You are right about how this may help the cause. I don't mind taking one for the team. I just wish I knew it was coming.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/15480239

Ya I tried that. Pulled the plug for about 5 minutes. Looks like it's truly bricked.

You are right about how this may help the cause. I don't mind taking one for the team. I just wish I knew it was coming.

You may not have any other choice but I'd leave the power plug pulled overnight if you can't get it to light up. Over on the DirecTV threads, that has been a known fix for a non-responsive HD STB. Apparently, some capacitors take several hours to discharge. (I have now told you more than I know about electronics.)

Dana

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
smarty- sorry yours died.

Mine upgraded over net quickly and successfully.

Notice a new (maybe have been last few updates) issue. If you pause a movie (blu ray taledega nights in this case) for say 30 seconds or more than 2 or 3 seconds, when you unpause the audio is off from the video lip BIG time. If you pause then unpause real quick it restores it. But this is not good. Using 1080p24 output with Source Direct.

Lip sync is much improved as long as you dont pause it in this version. Was watching TD and the LPCM track with 0 lip sync (actually I will have to check my prepro it might still have some lipsync dleay.... will report back on this).

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman /forum/post/15480292

smarty- sorry yours died.

Mine upgraded over net quickly and successfully.

Notice a new (maybe have been last few updates) issue. If you pause a movie (blu ray taledega nights in this case) for say 30 seconds or more than 2 or 3 seconds, when you unpause the audio is off from the video lip BIG time. If you pause then unpause real quick it restores it. But this is not good. Using 1080p24 output with Source Direct.

Lip sync is much improved as long as you dont pause it in this version. Was watching TD and the LPCM track with 0 lip sync (actually I will have to check my prepro it might still have some lipsync dleay.... will report back on this).

I was having this same issue with the last fw. No lip sync enabled in the -83 or my receiver. Exactly as you say, a quick re-pause and un-pause fixes it.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Network update successful, reset back to system defaults afterwards, and then custom settings.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts