AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Beta Test Participants,

We are posting a new beta firmware version today. The firmware can be downloaded from http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP8...PG20090730.zip

Network update is also available for this firmware if your player has the previous beta version installed. The firmware is not available to the general customers at this time.

This revision contains a new decoder pack (V4242) from our chip maker and some changes to the user interface. The majore changes from the previous firmware are:

* Partial fix for the disc compatibility issue with “Dollhouse Season One” 3-disc set. Disc one now plays on the BDP-83 but disc two and three still cannot play.

* Fix for the disc compatibility issue with “The Soloist”.

* Fix for the issue of not being able to reset factory default settings introduced in the 34-0722 firmware.

* Fix for the PAL DVD picture quality issue introduced in the 34-0722 firmware. The issue looks like a de-interlacing error but is caused by the decoder chip, not the de-interlacer.

* New pop-up user interface for audio and subtitle selection.

* Improved GOTO function for music file playback. The GOTO function now allows the user to jump to a certain time point within a music file.

Once all updates are installed, your firmware versions should be:

Main Version: BDP83-35-0730T

Loader Version: BE2403 85752403

Sub Version: MCU83-23-0513 (except for units with “E202…” serial number. These units do not have an upgradeable MCU)

Best regards,

Jason J. Liao

CTO & VP of Product Development

OPPO Digital, Inc

2629 Terminal Blvd. Suite B

Mountain View, CA 94043

Tel: 650-810-1619

Fax: 650-961-1119
www.oppodigital.com

Dana

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Note

Quote:
* Fix for the PAL DVD picture quality issue introduced in the 34-0722 firmware. The issue looks like a de-interlacing error but is caused by the decoder chip, not the de-interlacer.

This may account for comments in the public thread that PAL is fubar which I cannot duplicate with the 730 firmware - 'cause the problem got fixed!

Dana

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Downloaded using Wi-Fi and installed without incident.

Dana

·
Read the FAQ!
35,941 Posts
Installed via internet -- no problems. Erased Persistent Memory as I usually do, and did a Reset Defaults -- no problems.

The Pro-Logic "Dimention" typo has been fixed. I believe there was another issue with the naming of the rear speakers that also appears to have been fixed.

There is a new choice in Setup > Device Setup > OSD Mode, or at least I haven't noticed it up to now. In addition to "Normal" and "Silent" you can now choose "Remaining". I see it is in the latest manual so it can't be that new. Apparently it is supposed to act like "Normal" except the time display shows the time remaining instead of the current time code.

---------------------------------

The only testing I've done so far is to try cycling inputs away from the Oppo and back while on the Home menu. The Red/Blue color swap remains fixed, but unfortunately the black screen problem is still there, and appears to be about as easy to produce as with the 0722 firmware.

ETA: I should mention I was using explicit 1080p, YCbCr 4:4:4, 36-bit, 1080p/24 Auto for this test.

--Bob

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Question for you guys: I've been absent for several days because I've moved and torn apart my A/V system. Can I go straight from 0715T to 0730T? I've never missed an update before and the instructions say "available for this firmware if your player has the previous beta version installed".

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S /forum/post/16915502

Question for you guys: I've been absent for several days because I've moved and torn apart my A/V system. Can I go straight from 0715T to 0730T? I've never missed an update before and the instructions say "available for this firmware if your player has the previous beta version installed".

Yes

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S /forum/post/16915502

Yes, I've had no problems jumping ahead.

Dana

·
Registered
331 Posts
Forgot to mention a known issue with this firmware:

The slow reverse play and frame-by-frame reverse functions for BD do not work. Mediatek disabled these two feature in the decoder pack. They said these features cause player to crash but we have not experienced any crash while using these features.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,402 Posts
I can confirm that Reset Factory Default is working again.

The popups on Audio and Subtitle are indeed very nice. This is something we requested. The list of subtitles on Blu-ray can be dozens long and it is an agony to cycle through them.

Would like to see a popup for Zoom, too.

-Bill

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
I'm wondering what these pop-ups are. Will have to check it out here soon.

Every time I step out of the office, the wife is on me like white on rice... and no, not like that
... it's honey_dew this and honey_dew that.

"Baby, can't you see I'm working here."
(shhhh, don't tell her I'm on AVS half the day)

·
Registered
3,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPO User /forum/post/16915598

Forgot to mention a known issue with this firmware:

The slow reverse play and frame-by-frame reverse functions for BD do not work. Mediatek disabled these two feature in the decoder pack. They said these features cause player to crash but we have not experienced any crash while using these features.

BLAST! I really hope this is not a permanent change!

I have not experienced any crashes either... and I use this feature frequently!

Gary

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSB /forum/post/16916686

Woe betide you if she ever discovers your AVS username and post-count! Trust me, I know!

Gary

She's not hip like that, but on the other hand she probably already knows.

Besides, I can get away with just about anything I want. Just look at the pics in my sig.

(Yes, I love her very much.
)

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/16916764

She's not hip like that, but on the other hand she probably already knows.

Besides, I can get away with just about anything I want. Just look at the pics in my sig.

(Yes, I love her very much.
)

Bet you she's a mean shot!

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
Finally got updated, downloaded via ethernet, reset to default, punched in settings, power cycled... no problems.

A slight blipping of black screen handshaking when I power on the player before the logo screen comes on.

Not quite ready to fire up the projector, I threw in some hi-res audio.

Today I spoke with Jason about the Take6 DVDA that I was having a problem with the sound being truncated at the beginning of tracks. I volunteered to send in my disc, but he said they already obtained one, and the chip maker was working on it
. I certainly didn't expect for there to be any chnage in this firmware, but there is. I didn't thoroughly test the whole disc, but it appears that 99% of the problem is fixed
. (oh happy day
)

I did notice on one of the tracks in the middle of the disc, that the beginning of the track was ever_so_slightly truncated. I'll go over the disc more closely later, but it certainly is a tremendous improvement.

After the Take6 disc, I then put in Toto IV SACD. The first time I put the disc in, the player went to the "home menu". I had to eject the disc and try again. This time it loaded fine and VERY QUICKLY. The first track automatically started player in about 1 second. Nice!

A sampling of a few other discs, and all is still well.

More to come...

BTW, the labeling of the surround back speakers in the bass management setup page for MCH analog output is still incorrect.

When you highlight the surround back speakers, they are incorrectly referred to as "surround" and not "surround back" speakers in the text at the very bottom of the screen.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts