AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Read the FAQ!
35,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Beta Test Participants,

We are posting a new beta firmware version today. The firmware can be downloaded from http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP8...PG20090819.zip

Network update will be available later today if your player has the previous beta version installed. The firmware is not available to the general customers at this time.

This revision contains a new decoder pack (V4259) from our chip maker and some changes to the user interface. The major changes from the previous firmware are:

Experimental support for DLNA network streaming. To search for a media file from a DLNA server, please go to the Home Menu, select a media type and then select Dlna search as the source. No documentation is available yet. Please share your experience and configuration.

Experimental support for BluTV service provided by Dreamer Corporation. To access BluTV, please go to the Home Menu and select BluTV. We experienced some connection problem during our test and Dreamer is working on the server side to troubleshoot.

Fix for SACD popping or rice crispy noise.

Improvement for DVD-A disc compatibility. The specific titles targeted include Beck: Sea Change and DVD-A discs released in Japan by JVC.

Improvement for compatibility with Denon receivers that only acquire 2ch DSD signal upon initial playback of a SACD multi-channel disc.

Improvement for compatibility with receivers that show no signal but play audio when a CD is played using HDMI bitstream output mode.

Fix for the audio drop-out issue affecting the unrated version of Fired Up Blu-ray disc.

Fix for the issue of subtitle being cut off when playing a PAL DVD.

Other general disc compatibility improvement. The specific titles targeted include the CD The Saturday Nite Agenda, DVD IL DIVO - Live at the Greek Theater, and a few other discs.

Once all updates are installed, your firmware versions should be:

Main Version: BDP83-38-0819T

Loader Version: BE2600 85752600

Sub Version: MCU83-24-0630 (except for units with E202 serial number. These units do not have an upgradeable MCU)

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

If you download the zip file and use a USB thumb drive to install, please follow these steps to install the firmware:

Download the firmware from the above link.

Insert a USB thumb drive to the computer that stores the downloaded zip file, and unzip the firmware file to the USB drive. Verify that the USB drive now contains a UPG folder, and inside the UPG folder there are files BDP-83.bin, DVD.BIN, DVD430.BIN and MCU83-1.BIN.

Remove the USB drive from the computer.

Turn on your TV display and the OPPO player. Make sure that there is no disc in the player and no other USB device is connected to the player.

Insert the USB drive containing the firmware file to a USB port on the player's front or back panel.

The player usually can recognize the firmware file and prompt you for firmware upgrade. In case the player does not prompt you, press the SETUP button on the remote control to enter the setup menu. Select Device Setup, Firmware Upgrade, and then Via USB.

Please follow the on-screen instructions to complete the firmware upgrade process. Use the remote control to respond to on-screen prompts. Do not use the front panel buttons because the front panel buttons will stop working during the upgrade process.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TURN OFF THE PLAYER, UNPLUG THE POWER, OR PRESS ANY BUTTONS OTHER THAN NECESSARY TO RESPOND TO THE ON-SCREEN PROMPT DURING THE REMAINING UPGRADE PROCESS.

In order to complete the firmware upgrade process, the player will turn off automatically. Unplug the USB drive after the player turns itself off.

Turn on the player again after the firmware upgrade process is completed. Check the new firmware version by going to the setup menu, and then selecting Device Setup - Firmware Information. If you notice that the firmware versions displayed do not match the versions listed in this release note, please retry the firmware upgrade procedure from step 4 to ensure all parts of the firmware package are installed. Early production models (not sold to retail customers) do not have an upgradeable MCU so the MCU firmware upgrade will fail. This is normal for units with serial number "E202..." .

(Optional) From the setup menu, select Device Setup, Reset Factory Default, and then choose OK to reset the player settings. Enter your customized settings as necessary after resetting.

Congratulations! You have just completed the firmware upgrade. Delete the UPG folder and its content from the USB drive so you do not accidentally install the firmware again.

If you choose to upgrade the firmware via the Internet, the steps are:

Turn on your TV display and the OPPO player. Make sure that there is no disc in the player and the player is not playing any content from a USB device.

Press the SETUP button on the remote control to enter the setup menu. Select Device Setup, Firmware Upgrade, and then Via Network.

The player will start searching for the new firmware from an OPPO firmware server. Please follow the on-screen instructions to complete the firmware upgrade process. Use the remote control to respond to on-screen prompts. Do not use the front panel buttons because the front panel buttons will stop working during the upgrade process.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TURN OFF THE PLAYER, UNPLUG THE POWER, OR PRESS ANY BUTTONS OTHER THAN NECESSARY TO RESPOND TO THE ON-SCREEN PROMPT DURING THE REMAINING UPGRADE PROCESS.

In order to complete the firmware upgrade process, the player will turn off automatically.

Turn on the player again after the firmware upgrade process is completed. Check the new firmware version by going to the setup menu, and then selecting Device Setup - Firmware Information. If you notice that the firmware versions displayed do not match the versions listed in this release note, please retry the firmware upgrade procedure from step 2 to ensure all parts of the firmware package are installed. Early production models (not sold to retail customers) do not have an upgradeable MCU so the MCU firmware upgrade will fail. This is normal for units with serial number "E202..." .

(Optional) From the setup menu, select Device Setup, Reset Factory Default, and then choose OK to reset the player settings. Enter your customized settings as necessary after resetting.

Congratulations! You have just completed the firmware upgrade.

Your feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you very much for the help in this beta test process.

Best regards,

Jason J. Liao

CTO & VP of Product Development

OPPO Digital, Inc

2629 Terminal Blvd. Suite B

Mountain View, CA 94043

Tel: 650-810-1619

Fax: 650-961-1119
www.oppodigital.com

=======================================

NOTE: If you installed the "public experimental" 0805 firmware, then network install will not find this private Beta firmware. You will need to download to USB.

--Bob

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
You beat me to it, Bob - I was about to hit the "post" button and thought I'd make sure it wasn't already posted. Looks like a serious update to chew on...

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Experimental support for DLNA network streaming.....cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S /forum/post/17034399

So, I guess we won't need a BluTV disc.

What kind of BluTV content should we be expecting?

I understand right now its very simple demo content (a few games)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yes, the four updates throw me too-[sorry didn't read the owners manual].

all is good. I am playing Hiromi/Brain a Multi ch.SA-CD, That is recorded in DSD.

Playing it in D2ch.>to a denon. But can not really say i can hear difference between listen yesterday vs. Todays FW. The Music is beautiful.

db

·
Read the FAQ!
35,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech /forum/post/17034440

I had the red progress bar but no trouble shoot instructions is this an error on their end

my ethernet connection has worked for everything else.

See the release notes. Jason mentioned that Blu-TV was generating some stalls, and the provider is working to fix that.

--Bob

·
Registered
4,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB /forum/post/17034446

Yes, the four updates throw me too-[sorry didn't read the owners manual].

all is good. I am playing Hiromi/Brain a Multi ch.SA-CD, That is recorded in DSD.

Playing it in D2ch.>to a denon. But can not really say i can hear difference between listen yesterday vs. Todays FW. The Music is beautiful.

db

I have that SACD. Was there a problem with it previously? I can only send PCM to my receiver, though.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
System hard crashes if you try to use the Down Navigation Key to browse media files past the "8" object mark (example. Insert a USB drive with 13 objects (files, folders) and keep pressing Down. After object "7/13", the system crashes).

No crashes if you use Page Up/Down or browse backwards (ex. Page down to object "8" then keep pressing Up and the player will make it all the way to the "Back" navigation option)

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech /forum/post/17034658

DLNA I assume is not Mac compatible.

Why not? I don't think the player knows what the server is. Aren't there DLNA servers for Mac?

-Bill

·
Read the FAQ!
35,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech /forum/post/17034658

DLNA I assume is not Mac compatible.

There are various 3rd party applications to provide DLNA from a Mac. Folks with PS3's use them to stream from a Mac to the PS3. Of course the PS3 can't play any DRM protected files or some of Apple's proprietary formats.

I don't know which product is the most popular right now. I last experimented with this about a year ago, and it worked.

--Bob

·
Read the FAQ!
35,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did my install via USB (coming from the "public experimental" 0805 firmware) and no problems. I did notice that there were only 3 installs even though there are 4 files.

It looks like we've got 2 loader update files in the package. Perhaps only one of them gets loaded depending upon which loader hardware you have.

--------------------------------

Erased Persistent Storage and Reset Defaults: No surprises. The Surround Back Left/Right text at the bottom of the Speaker Configuration page really has been fixed this time.

--Bob

1 - 20 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.