AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Beta Test Participants,

The firmware update linked here today is not a regular beta test version, but an experimental build to test for the random crash/freeze issue. It was compiled by our decoder chip maker Mediatek and they did not bump up the version number nor flag it as the “T” (beta test) version. For this reason once you install the firmware, the version will be shown as “BDP83-48-1224”, and future network updates will be pulled from the official release server. If you need to install future beta test version you will need to use the USB installation method first to switch network updates back to the beta test server.

The firmware can be downloaded from: http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP8...PG20100302.zip

Network update is NOT available for this experimental build.

If your player has previously experienced boot up freezing or random crash, please try this firmware and let me know if you still get the same problem. If the crash/freeze still happens, please capture a log file after the player recovers and send to me. To capture a log file, prepare a USB drive and make sure there is no firmware file or a file named “log” on the drive. Turn on the player, insert the USB drive, and press “SETUP – 7 – 8 – 9 – 6” on the remote. A dialog screen will show that a log file has been saved. Take the USB drive to a computer and email me the “log” file on the drive.

Thank you very much for the help in this beta test process.

Best regards,

Jason J. LiaoCTO & VP of Product Development

OPPO Digital, Inc

2629 Terminal Blvd. Suite BMountain View, CA94043Tel: 650-810-1619

Fax: 650-961-1119
www.oppodigital.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by facesnorth /forum/post/18249350


I'm going to pass on installing this one because I haven't been experiencing these problems.

I think I'm going to pass too. No crashes with my player.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did try the new fw, but after several attempts to get any type of freezing to occur, it seems to be working well.


If I remember correctly, weren't most of the freezes related to having the ethernet connection live... most notably having BDLive turned on???

I havn't had any freezes in a while, but I have had BDLive turned off too... where_as before that, when I was having some freezing issues, BDLive was turned on.


At any rate, no freezing for me with this new fw... so far (
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,521 Posts
No joy here. While it may be a bit more difficult to produce the freeze, it still only took about 4-5 power-on cycles to produce the freeze. Log file sent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by facesnorth /forum/post/18249350


I'm going to pass on installing this one because I haven't been experiencing these problems.

Ditto here.


Dana
 

·
Read the FAQ!
Joined
·
36,027 Posts
Installed via USB. Reset everything. No problems, no surprises.


I wasn't experiencing boot up crashes with the prior firmware so I'm not really expecting any change here, but I figure it's a good idea for some of us who WEREN'T having problems to try this firmware as well so we can report any new failures that might confuse the issue of whether the fix might be working.

--Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/18249818


No joy here. While it may be a bit more difficult to produce the freeze, it still only took about 4-5 power-on cycles to produce the freeze. Log file sent.

I recently acquired an Edge and had run the first tests through that... BDP-83->Edge->AVR->projector... and had no freezes.


I took the Edge out of the mix to reenact the previous setup where I had gotten some freeze ups. Still though, no freezes for me after at least 20 cycles... powering on and off with both the power button and with the eject button... sometimes with a disc in, sometimes without... still, no freezes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/18250160


I wasn't experiencing boot up crashes with the prior firmware so I'm not really expecting any change here, but I figure it's a good idea for some of us who WEREN'T having problems to try this firmware as well so we can report any new failures that might confuse the issue of whether the fix might be working.

--Bob

I certainly agree with that, will install tonight and test some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/18249818


No joy here. While it may be a bit more difficult to produce the freeze, it still only took about 4-5 power-on cycles to produce the freeze. Log file sent.

I keep wondering why against your setup you have freezes versus the rest of us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/18250160


I wasn't experiencing boot up crashes with the prior firmware so I'm not really expecting any change here, but I figure it's a good idea for some of us who WEREN'T having problems to try this firmware as well so we can report any new failures that might confuse the issue of whether the fix might be working.

--Bob

Now I feel guilty, LOL... Actually it was more of an excuse for me, have been pressed for time the past couple weeks and haven't been able to do much testing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,521 Posts
I've been able to demonstrate, (so far), that with firmware notification turned off it does not freeze. I just tried it about 10 times. I turned it back on and the next power-on froze.


Ethernet (wired) connected, all HDMI settings are "non-auto" except color space. The freeze occurs when turning the Oppo on before anything else, using the eject button. If I have everything else turned on first, usually no freeze although it's not 100%.


The BDP-80 can do the same thing.
 

·
Read the FAQ!
Joined
·
36,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/18250760


I've been able to demonstrate, (so far), that with firmware notification turned off it does not freeze. I just tried it about 10 times. I turned it back on and the next power-on froze.


Ethernet (wired) connected, all HDMI settings are "non-auto" except color space. The freeze occurs when turning the Oppo on before anything else, using the eject button. If I have everything else turned on first, usually no freeze although it's not 100%.


The BDP-80 can do the same thing.

Back before public release (as I recall) we had another instance of boot up crashes that were associated with firmware notification being ON. As I recall you also had to have a USB stick plugged in as well. At a guess, there was some sort of race condition between the player's efforts to get out on the network, and its efforts to figure out what was on the USB stick, if anything.


I'll try some tests now power cycling with firmware notification ON and all other devices in my system turned off.


By the way, I'm using explicit (manual) network settings instead of DHCP. And I have an empty USB stick in the front port. BD-Live is enabled, but that shouldn't make a difference during power-up.

--Bob
 

·
Read the FAQ!
Joined
·
36,027 Posts
One other thing to try: Rather than turning off your other devices, instead unplug the HDMI cable at the Oppo. If that eliminates the failure then the failure may be related to the way one of your devices (most likely the receiver) handles queries on its HDMI input when the device is "off".

--Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/18250867


As I recall you also had to have a USB stick plugged in as well. At a guess, there was some sort of race condition between the player's efforts to get out on the network, and its efforts to figure out what was on the USB stick, if anything.

It's been my experience so far that having a USB stick in the front port will PREVENT the freeze, but I've not played with that for a while. I agree it's a timing issue. When it's frozen, it does not appear on the network and inserting a USB stick does not result in the stick being read, (no blinking on the stick).


The fact that turning F.N. off prevents the freeze is interesting, but doesn't mean that F.N. is the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/18250879


One other thing to try: Rather than turning off your other devices, instead unplug the HDMI cable at the Oppo. If that eliminates the failure then the failure may be related to the way one of your devices (most likely the receiver) handles queries on its HDMI input when the device is "off".

--Bob

My Sammy display is one that has a hot HDMI port when in standby, so you could be right. the AVR is in "pass-through" mode and it doesn't seem to matter if it's on or off.
 

·
Read the FAQ!
Joined
·
36,027 Posts
Well I'm not having any luck reproducing your boot up crash.


I turned off all my other devices, and then powered up the Oppo using the front panel tray open button. My criteria for deciding it hasn't crashed is that the tray opens normally, and then the player responds properly when I do a tray close. Then I power off.


I tried multiple cycles with the empty USB stick in the front port and also with it removed. I tried it with the tray empty and with an SD-DVD in the tray. With the disc in the tray, I wait for the front panel time code to start advancing after I close the tray, then I power off (without stopping the disc or anything else).


Note that I'm leaving my other devices OFF through all of this, so the HDMI handshake to my D2v never happens.


Firmware Notification (and BD-Live) are both ON. I can see the ethernet socket light flashing as the player boots up. My network settings are Manual. My HDMI output is explicit 1080p, YCbCr 4:2:2, 30-bit (Dithered), TV Multi-System, and HDMI Auto for audio.

--Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,687 Posts
What should the FW info be? i THOUGHT IT SHOULD SHOW A current date...

Mine-BDP-83-48-1224

SUB- MCU83-26-1208
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB /forum/post/18252216


What should the FW info be? i THOUGHT IT SHOULD SHOW A current date...

Mine-BDP-83-48-1224

SUB- MCU83-26-1208

From OP:

The firmware update linked here today is not a regular beta test version, but an experimental build to test for the random crash/freeze issue. It was compiled by our decoder chip maker Mediatek and they did not bump up the version number nor flag it as the T (beta test) version. For this reason once you install the firmware, the version will be shown as BDP83-48-1224, and future network updates will be pulled from the official release server.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tried many different things to get the player to freeze earlier, but could not.

Later I was messing with a different setup, and I needed an hdmi cable I knew worked, so I took the one off the BDP-83... I think the -83 was on when I yanked the cable.

After a while I came back and noticed the front of the -83 said 'unknown disc', but there was no disc in the player. I think maybe the player was frozen too.

I was messing with an hdmi splitter at the time, so I hooked up the -83 to the powered splitter but it couldn't pass the signal (just like the -80 couldn't either
).

Anyway, connected to the splitter, it froze again.

So, I'm not sure how "out of the norm" these crashes are, but I suppose I can capture them and send a log file to Jason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,687 Posts
Ok- did factory reset-before and after FW up date.

Then when, i tried to open the tray it said= loading- set-up menu>> but wouldn't open- 3 tries- unplugged. started back up- so far AOK. Just up the 83- not SE.

db

Edit: Watched Ponyo{BR}- . Today after FW on the 83 in English. No issues , even with the Extra features.

HDMI>display-- S/PDIF for audio....

Watched 5.1 DD in Japanese w/ English subtitles on the 83 SE last night, no issues.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top