AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Read the FAQ!
35,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Jason:

Dear Beta Test Participants,

We are posting a new experimental firmware version today for the “Dollhouse Season 1” disc compatibility issue. It is based on the 35-0730T beta test firmware with additional fix for the disc 2 and 3 of the “Dollhouse Season 1” disc set. Due to time constrain a private beta test version is not available. If you would like to help testing the experimental version, it can be downloaded from http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...-36-0805x.aspx

Please note that once you install this firmware version, the player will no longer pull private beta versions when you choose to upgrade the firmware via the Internet. You will need to install a new private beta version using the USB or CD upgrade method before the player can check for private beta version again.

Your feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you very much for the help in this beta test process.

Release Information:

Release date: August 5, 2009. This version is an experimental version.

Category: Experimental Release

Main Version: BDP83-36-0805

Loader Version: BE2403 85752403

Sub Version: MCU83-23-0513

Release Notes:

Comparing to the latest official release version BDP83-31-0620, the major changes included in this version are:

Blu-ray Disc compatibility improvement, especially for certain titles such as "Dollhouse Season 1", "12 Rounds" and "The Haunting in Connecticut".

Additional "Deep Color" options utilizing dithering. If the display does not support 36-bit deep color, dithering 36-bit to 30-bit or 24-bit may produce an image that is visually smoother than rounding 36-bit to 30- or 24-bit.

Improved precision for color space conversion.

Improved up-conversion for MKV files that have a picture size smaller than 1280x720 with 24fps frame rate.

Improvement for DVD navigation.

Fix for the issue of not being able to reset factory default settings introduced in the 34-0722 beta firmware.

Fix for the PAL DVD picture quality issue introduced in the 34-0722 beta firmware. The issue looks like a de-interlacing error but is caused by the decoder chip, not the de-interlacer.

New pop-up user interface for audio and subtitle selection.

Improved GOTO function for music file playback. The GOTO function now allows the user to jump to a certain time point within a music file.

Other general disc compatibility and performance improvements.

All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I got this email but don't have access to "Dollhouse Season 1" so I assumed there is probably not much reason for me to update to the experimental firmware version.

Chris

·
Read the FAQ!
35,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reason would be to help them find bugs elsewhere in the new code before too many public owners install it.

--Bob

·
Read the FAQ!
35,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Installed via USB. No problems. Did a Reset Defaults -- one surprise: The Pro-Logic option is missing from Audio Processing. Otherwise no issues.

I don't have any of the discs that were targeted with this fix. I tied "Hairspray" Blu-Ray just for a quick sanity check. No problems.

--Bob

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
The part about having to do future upgrades via usb or disc stopped me spoiled to internet upgrade and I don't have the disc that this targets.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/16949098

one surprise: The Pro-Logic option is missing from Audio Processing. Otherwise no issues.

--Bob

Pro-Logic II has not bee certified by Dolby for public release. Since the chip was not certified for PLII function, likely Dolby will not approve the player until the chip maker redo the chip certification (unlikely).

·
Registered
331 Posts
There shouldn't be any, other than the standard difference between beta and public versions (upgrade server, PL-II, Raw color space)

·
Registered
22,388 Posts
I'm able to reproduce the "data disc" loading error pretty consistently. After playing a DVD-A, as often as not the next DVD or BD disc loaded will load as a data disc. Not 100% but enough to call it a bug. I tried it a few times with a SACD but didn't get the error yet with that route. I think a power cycle prevents the bug, so maybe the player isn't clearing it's memory somehow after the DVD-A.

This has happened with the last few revisions, and also with 0805.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD /forum/post/16952426

I uploaded the FW yesterday and I noticed that reset is grayed out. I called Oppo with this issue and was told that this is nornal with the 805 FW.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reset Defaults and some other items are grayed out if you go into the Setup menu while a disc is playing. But that's been true since before the first public firmware came out as I recall.

--Bob

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,269 Posts
Something new in the decoder!

Some months ago I reported this:

Code:
Code:
Member SANGO ("Matt") supplies this example file which shows video
    pixelation and is missing HDMI audio: 

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?oh1wj4uznu2

I can verify this behavior. It plays well on the computer with xine but
    not with vlc. Xine shows its attributes as:

container: mkv
        video: H.264/AVC (ffmpeg) 1280x720
        audio: HE-AAC 2.0 (libfaad) channels 2, bitrate 153000, sample 48000

He says analog sound output works ok.

Are there any prospects for HE-AAC support over HDMI?
The audio is now playing over HDMI, previously it was over analog only. The video is still pixellated.

-Bill

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/16953138

Something new in the decoder!

Some months ago I reported this:

Code:
Code:
Member SANGO ("Matt") supplies this example file which shows video
    pixelation and is missing HDMI audio: 

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?oh1wj4uznu2

I can verify this behavior. It plays well on the computer with xine but
    not with vlc. Xine shows its attributes as:

container: mkv
        video: H.264/AVC (ffmpeg) 1280x720
        audio: HE-AAC 2.0 (libfaad) channels 2, bitrate 153000, sample 48000

He says analog sound output works ok.

Are there any prospects for HE-AAC support over HDMI?
The audio is now playing over HDMI, previously it was over analog only. The video is still pixellated.

-Bill

I'm told this is probably an error. I think HE-AAC decoding must be licensed.

-Bill

·
Read the FAQ!
35,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has anyone else tried bitstream from "Transporter 3" Blu-Ray? There's a post in the D2v "tweaking" thread from an Oppo owner reporting audio corruption (using the latest Beta D2v firmware). Apparently no problem when using LPCM from the Oppo. I don't have that disc.

--Bob

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
FWIW--Has anyone else tried bitstream from "Transporter 3" Blu-Ray?

I watched this many FWs back. I had very bad lipsync issues with it [one of the few i had issues with]. Then played another BR right behind it with no issues.... but of course MCA....

·
Read the FAQ!
35,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New Problem

"The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers: Extended Edition" SD-DVD. Load Disc 4 (the second disc of Appendices).

Go to Top Menu > "Music and Sound" > "Sound Demonstration: 'Helm's Deep'"

This is supposed to show a clip from the battle sequence that repeats indefinitely. The clip includes 8 DD5.1 tracks. Tracks 1 through 7 break up the 80 sound elements that make up the audio mix for this clip into 7 distinct subsets. Track 8 is the final audio mix.

The clip is displayed above a line of 8 numbers. The idea is that you are supposed to use Right/Left Arrow to move between the numbers to hear the different components of the mix. Descriptive text is put up as you select each number. The number itself gets a red highlight when selected.

On my Pioneer Elite DV-59avi SD-DVD player (sending HDMI 480i and DD5.1 Bitstream), this feature plays, as best I can tell, completely correctly.

----------------------------

On the PS3 (sending HDMI 1080p/59.94 and 5.1 LPCM 48KHz), navigation between the 8 audio elements also works correctly, and audio appears correct for audio choices 2 through 8. Audio choice 1 (the audio recorded on the set) is corrupted.

-----------------------------

On the Oppo BDP-83 (sending HDMI 1080p/59.94), this is a mess. First of all navigation doesn't work. Neither Right nor Left Arrow respond. That means you are stuck on Audio choice 1. When set to HDMI Bitstream output, the audio is corrupted and intermittent. If you bring up the on-screen display you can see it switching repeatedly between "Dolby Digital" and "Dolby Digital 5.1" at about 1 second intervals. If you switch to HDMI LPCM output there is no audio at all.

If you attempt to get to the other audio choices using the Audio button on the remote, you get the pop-up menu and you can navigate up or down to the choice you want, but then you are stuck. It doesn't respond to Enter! At this point the only thing I could find to do was to press Pop-Up Menu to get back to the "Music and Sound" menu page.

------------------------------

I believe the corrupted audio from the PS3 for audio choice 1 may be a bug in my Beta D2v firmware. It has fits when fed HDMI LPCM input if only one channel is active at a time unless that happens to be LF or RF, and I believe this "on set sound" section may have only the Center channel active.

That may also explain why I get no audio when I switch the Oppo to LPCM output for audio choice 1.

But the Oppo shouldn't be losing lock on the 5.1 nature of the track (as shown in the Oppo on-screen display), the Right/Left arrow should work to select the 8 audio choices, and the Audio pop up menu should not fail to respond to Enter.

Oppo settings are explicit 1080p, HDMI YCbCr 4:4:4, 30-bit (Dithered), 1080p/24 Auto, DVD/24 OFF, Secondary Audio OFF, and either HDMI Bitstream or LPCM as discussed above.

ETA: For this 4 disc set, ISBN 0-7806-4404-2, Bar Code 7-94043-65042-0

--Bob

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I don't think I'm going to try the Public Experimental firmware, as I don't have the Dollhouse BD. Maybe we'll get a new '83 firmware late this week?

Besides, I'm having too much fun trying to torture the BDP-80!

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S /forum/post/16980755

I don't think I'm going to try the Public Experimental firmware, as I don't have the Dollhouse BD. Maybe we'll get a new '83 firmware late this week?

Besides, I'm having too much fun trying to torture the BDP-80!

I thought the same thing about that firmware, but a lot of people are reporting little changes for the better with it. I suspect there are other things different with the firmware than just the "dollhouse fix". So, a few days ago I did upgrade to that firmware.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
New Problem

"The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: Extended Edition", SD-DVD. 4 disc set. ISBN 0-7806-4653-3, Bar Code 7-94043-69322-9.

Load Disc 4 -- the second disc of Appendices.

Go to Top Menu > Visual Effects > Visual Effects Demonstration 'The Mumakil Battle' > View Demonstration.

Here's what's supposed to happen:

You are presented with 7 embedded clips, all playing together, showing 6 visual elements of this particular 30 second scene along with the final composited film clip. You can navigate around this screen using the arrow buttons. You can select a scene to view by navigating to it and pressing Enter. When the selected clip finishes, you are returned to this screen. There are also selections for turning on a Commentary track, or for playing all 7 clips in sequence.

While playing any of the 7 clips, you can also navigate between them using the Angle button.

When using my Pioneer Elite DV59-avi SD-DVD player, and also using the PS3, this Demonstration plays completely correctly. In particular, the Angle selections work starting from any clip both with the Commentary On and Off. One difference is that on the 59-avi pressing Angle brings up the current Angle number. You have to press it again to advance to the next Angle. On the PS3, pressing Angle immediately advances to the next Angle number.

------------------------------

On the BDP-83, the arrow navigation within the screen, the selection of clips via Enter, and playback of clips selected this way, with or without Commentary, all work.

But the Angle stuff is badly broken.

Pressing Angle (while playing a clip) brings up the current Angle number. Pressing it again advances to the next Angle number, plays about 1/2 second of the video for that new Angle, and then hangs. The time code is frozen.

Pressing Angle again advances to the next Angle number and again plays about 1/2 second and then freezes.

This is true regardless of which clip you start from when the Commentary is On. When the Commentary is Off, if you start from Angle 1, you can actually advance to Angle 2 and it will play properly, but if you start at any other Angle, or try to advance again from Angle 2, it once again hangs.

Pop Up Menu or Top Menu will also get you out of the hung state.

This failure is quite repeatable.

--Bob

·
Read the FAQ!
35,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Above Problem Found on Another Disc

The "Editorial Demonstration" in "Fellowship of the Ring" also exhibits this failure of the Angle button, although the hangs are not quite as repeatable. Starting from clip 7 ("Final Film"), I've managed to advance through all the Angles correctly once. But if you keep trying, or start from different clips, the hang happens just as described above for "The Return of the King".

"The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Extended Edition", SD-DVD. 4 disc set. ISBN 0-7806-3893-X, Bar Code 7-94043-55492-6.

Load Disc 4. Go to Top Menu > Post Production: Putting it all Together > Editorial Demonstration: "The Council of Elrond" > View Demonstration

The operation is as described in the post above, except that there is no Commentary option.

Oppo settings are explicit 1080p, HDMI YCbCr 4:4:4, 30-bit (Dithered), 1080p/24 Auto, DVD/24 OFF, Secondary Audio OFF, HDMI Bitstream.

---------------------------------

By the way, the slate markers included in the 6 raw footage clips in this demonstration make for an interesting way to verify proper audio sync (I found no problems).

--Bob

1 - 20 of 41 Posts