AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it work to take the 480P/576P DVI out from an Oppo DV971H and input that to an iScan HD+ or will the HDCP protection in the HD+ cause a problem?

I will then feed the CRT from the HD+. I would really like to get an SDI modded DVD player to feed the HD+ but budget does not allow that :(

An alternative to the Oppo could be the Samsung HD950 but when I read about it my understanding is that I cant have HDCP into the HD+ because then it wont output analog RGBHV, is that correct?

Cheers,

H

·
23,031 Posts
If there is no HDCP present on input, the Iscan shouldn't care. HDCP is enforced/enabled by source devices, target devices should only use it when they see it on an input.

larry

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I don't see much reason to send the Oppo through to the Iscan, its only just going to scale it. Why not use the Oppo's Faroudja scaler?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Larry!! The answer I was hoping for :) That's also what I've read but a sales person in a Home Cinema Store in Manchester today insisted that if one end has HDCP then both ends need it for it to work.

What about the already line-doubled image from the Oppo? Will the Faroudja chip in the Oppo interfere with the line-doubling and scaling in the HD+?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule
I don't see much reason to send the Oppo through to the Iscan, its only just going to scale it. Why not use the Oppo's Faroudja scaler?
But I don't think the Oppo can output an RGBHV signal to my CRT or?

Also I'd like 1080P to the CRT.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
The HD+ won't be doing any line doubling because you're feeding it a progressive image over DVI, which is why I question the idea. The HD+ will only be scaling from what I understand. You would need to feed the HD+ 480i/576i to have it do the real processing. Consensus seems to show that the Oppo's component output at 480i/576i is poor.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardjinku
But I don't think the Oppo can output an RGBHV signal to my CRT or?

Also I'd like 1080P to the CRT.
I see, I wasn't aware the Iscan can do this.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there another good DVD player that can output a clean crisp good quality 480i/576i?

I've looked at the Samsung HD950 but that doesn't seem to output 480i/576i either on the DVI. I guess it should be DVI and not component if possible or does component deliver good enough quality to be scaled by the HD+ to 1080p?

I wonder if there is any quality difference between the HD+ and the oppo doing the line doubling job? It should be pretty basic shouldn't it. The Scaling I guess requires a lot more processing so the HD+ should do a much better job.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wensteph
I've got both and the Oppo will feed my HD+ over DVI to my HDCP compliant projector just fine.
Then the HD+ probably doesn't force HDCP.

Is it 480P/576P you feed the HD+ with or do you use the Oppo to scale too?

Have you compared the PQ quality between Oppo and HD+ scaling?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.