AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting some pretty harsh macroblocking on dark scens in almost every movie I watch. SAWIII, The Rock,Underworld etc.

I have a 971 with a sony 40" CRT

Seems form the consnsus that CRT's are not prone to macrobloking enhancment from the OPPO.

Am I getting bad DVD mastering or is it the player, is there a reference DVD that I can test with?

I am running it on 720P.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have a 53" pioneer elite CRT and I used to have macroblocking with the Oppo 971. I had three players with the faroudja chip. The Oppo, the zenith 318, and the Panny S97. Of all three, the oppo had the least amount by far, but it was still there.

So CRT's can exhibit macroblocking, my definitely did. And the oppo uses the Faroudja 2310 chip that has the macroblocking bug. Turning off the True life setting helps to minimize macroblocking, but I also found that having it off introduced ghosting in some scenes. For all of this, I got rid of the 971. I now have the 970. It uses a different chipset that does not have macroblocking.

·
Registered
100 Posts
From what I've read here, people who call Oppo are steared towards the 970 rather than the 971 if they have CRT sets. Pretty impressive that a company would want to advise customers to buy their less expensive model!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went for the 971 due to the DVI but an adapter will fix that and I would like the ability to play SACD's too...

Better to have them buy the less expensive player than buy the More expensive, get pissed off and send it back.

Now they have a pissed off customer, an open box item and $200+ out of there account....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.