AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting my home theater finished up, and would like to go with an upconverting DVD player.


My PJ is a Panny A700 with HDMI input.


Everything I'm reading makes the Oppo sound incredible, but will I be losing any quality due to it having DVI output only? (8 bit instead of the 10 bit or 12 bit with straight HDMI).


If I'm losing visible quality, I'll spend the extra coin on the Denon 2910. If there's no quality loss in having DVI output instead of HDMI, I'll go with the Oppo.


I've been reading and reading and searching through every thread, and I just can't understand why the Oppo doesn't have HDMI output in the first place.


Thanks!


(Panny A700 at 16' throw onto a 133" Dalite High Power screen, will be going with a Denon 4306 once it's out feeding Klipsch speakers).


Note: Well, since Oppo is so close, and everyone said their CS was so good, I decided to just place an order. Their location is about 5 minutes from my wife's office at Cisco, so she can just pick it up on the way home. Maybe I'll back-to-back test it with the 2910 and see if my eyes can see a difference. Hoping to get the entire HT finished up this weekend and need a DVD player with upscaling and digital output.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Go for the OPPO! HDMI is backward compatible with DVI. There is no loss of video quality by going DVI to HDMI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,532 Posts
OPPO with HDMI/DVI cable with no loss whatsoever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Is the OPPO HDCP-compliant? My PJ is NOT HDCP-compliant. Therefore, I need a player that is NOT HDCP-compliant as well.


Please clarify. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris
Is the OPPO HDCP-compliant? My PJ is NOT HDCP-compliant. Therefore, I need a player that is NOT HDCP-compliant as well.


Please clarify. Thanks.
If your FP has a non-compliant DVI input, then the Oppo DV971H would be a good choice. It will work with compliant and non-compliant DVI inputs. If by non-compliant, you mean no DVI or HDMI input, only HD component, then the Oppo would not be a good choice. The NeuNeo HVD2085, Samsung DVD-HD950, Samsung DVD-HD941 and Zenith DVB318 would be at the top of my list for component upscaling.


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nod, I'm aware that there's no loss in quality in directly converting from DVI to HDMI.


What I was concerned about is other players that output directly in HDMI can use 10-bit or 12-bit, while the Oppo's DVI output can only output 8-bit.


8-bit I would think would be lower quality than 10-bit or 12-bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard
If your FP has a non-compliant DVI input, then the Oppo DV971H would be a good choice. It will work with compliant and non-compliant DVI inputs. If by non-compliant, you mean no DVI or HDMI input, only HD component, then the Oppo would not be a good choice. The NeuNeo HVD2085, Samsung DVD-HD950, Samsung DVD-HD941 and Zenith DVB318 would be at the top of my list for component upscaling.


Chris
Chris,


Thanks for the feedback. By non-compliant I meant literally non-compliant via DVI. My PJ has DVI but does not support HDCP.


I currently have the Bravo D1. Any ideas how much improvement the Oppo offers over the Bravo? Is it worth to make a change?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer42
Nod, I'm aware that there's no loss in quality in directly converting from DVI to HDMI.


What I was concerned about is other players that output directly in HDMI can use 10-bit or 12-bit, while the Oppo's DVI output can only output 8-bit.


8-bit I would think would be lower quality than 10-bit or 12-bit.


And from what I've been reading, (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) the best you can get from SD DVD.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top