PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphones

Proprietary Planar Magnetic Technology

Life-like, Natural Sound Quality

High Sensitivity & Scalability

Plush Padding & Reduced Weight for Exceptional Comfort

price: $1,099

Larger than Life Sound
To Hear the Smallest Detail

The OPPO PM-1 Planar Magnetic headphone offers a different way of thinking about planar magnetic technology. The PM-1 is characterized by its natural, dynamic, and engaging sound quality with an emphasis on comfort and reduced weight. It is the result of many years of research led by a team comprised of passionate audio and acoustics engineers, chemical and materials scientists, and audiophiles. A number of technological breakthroughs have made their way into the PM-1, including the use of a unique 7-layer diaphragm, double-sided spiraling coils, and an FEM-optimized magnet system.

Planar Magnetic Technology

The OPPO PM-1 utilizes a planar magnetic driver that sets it apart from the majority of headphones on the market. Sound is generated by a very thin and light diaphragm whose entire surface area is evenly driven. The diaphragm is driven in a symmetric pull-push manner, and the magnetic system and conductor patterns have been optimized for maximum sensitivity and consistency. This allows the diaphragm to generate very stable and linear piston-like vibrations, ensuring phase coherence and high resolution performance with minimal distortion.

Unique to the OPPO PM-1 is the use of a double-sided diaphragm, which allows us to place twice as many conductors within the magnetic field and eliminate any passive return zones where the conductors do not work. This results in the use of 100% of our conductor length, which in turn results in greater efficiency. In addition, our flat conductor pattern eliminates inductance-related intermodulation distortion, common with dynamic headphones, and the OPPO PM-1’s purely resistive impedance means that sound quality is unaffected by a headphone amplifier’s output impedance.

The OPPO PM-1 combines high sensitivity with low weight, allowing it to be used freely with portable devices without requiring additional amplification. Its circumaural, open back design provides the best in sound quality and comfort, and the overall rugged construction ensures that the headphones can withstand mechanical and environmental stress.

These aspects of the OPPO PM-1’s design combine to provide a transparent, highly dynamic sound that exhibits well-balanced tonal qualities with very little distortion, resulting in a listening experience that is both free of fatigue and capable of communicating every nuance of your favorite music.

Uniquely Better
  • Phase Coherence - When sound enters our ear, it has a planar wave front with all spectrum components in phase. A typical dynamic headphone driver disrupts this coherence with its phase irregularity, resulting in less than perfect signal peak reconstructions. OPPO’s planar magnetic driver has much better phase coherency since all parts of the diaphragm are vibrating in concert without break up and delayed resonance.
  • Purely Resistive Impedance – OPPO’s planar magnetic driver has a flat conductor pattern that does not have any inductive components. This eliminates inductance related intermodulation distortion, which is especially common in dynamic drivers with high impedance and a high number of voice coil turns.
  • Stability, Consistency, Reliability – Many planar magnetic headphones have large balance deviations between the left and right channels, and accurate stereo reproduction is contingent on having a very close match between the left and right channels. During the OPPO PM-1’s manufacturing process, drivers are closely matched to ensure optimum stereo imaging and soundstage.
  • Diaphragm – OPPO’s planar magnetic driver diaphragm has 7 layers of thin materials that provide excellent performance, reliability, and longevity. The construction of the diaphragm ensures that it is very stable under thermal stress and vibration.
  • Double-Sided Spiraling Coils – The diaphragm utilizes a spiraling pattern of flat aluminum conductors on either side of the driver. The double-sided design allows twice as many conductors to be placed within the magnetic field, which leads to higher sensitivity, better damping, and even drive force.
  • FEM-Optimized Magnet System - An FEM-optimized magnet system with very high energy Neodymium magnets is used to maximize sensitivity and consistency of the applied force over the driver area.
  • High Sensitivity - Many planar magnetic headphones have a sensitivity far below 100 dB and require very powerful amplifiers to drive. The OPPO PM-1 has a sensitivity of 102 dB, which allows it to pair well with both mobile devices and scale upwards when used with high end headphone amplifiers.
  • Build Quality – The OPPO PM-1 is ruggedly constructed with an emphasis on long term use and maximum consistency from unit to unit. The headphones have been tested to very high standards to withstand mechanical and environmental stress in order to guarantee exceptional performance throughout its lifespan.
  • Comfort - Many planar magnetic headphones weigh over 500 g and are often viewed as being uncomfortable. With a weight of 395 g, the OPPO PM-1 strikes a delicate balance between weight, comfort, and elegant industrial design.
  • Luxury Materials – The OPPO PM-1’s ear cushions are made out of the highest quality natural latex, which is superior and longer lasting to any chemically formulated foam. It is naturally hypoallergenic, retains its mechanical spring-like properties for much longer periods, and resists moisture build up from sweating. The headband and earpads are made of hand selected lambskin that provides a luxurious look and feel.
  • Easily Replaceable Components – The OPPO PM-1’s earpads are mounted on rubber inserts and can be easily cleaned or replaced. This design also makes switching between the leather and velour earpads nearly effortless. The headphone cable is detachable and uses non-proprietary, 2.5 mm mono mini jacks to connect to the earcups, making it easy to switch between the longer, 6.35 mm terminated cable for home use, and a shorter, 3.5 mm terminated cable for portable use.
  • Premium Accessories – The 6.35 mm terminated headphone cable features Ohno Continuous Casting (OCC) construction wrapped in a black fabric sleeve. The selvedge denim carrying case transports and protects the headphones in style, and the alternative set of velour pads provides a slightly different sound signature.

Specifications

Designs and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Headphone Specifications
Acoustic PrincipleOpen back
Ear CouplingCircumaural
Nominal Impedance32 Ohm
Sensitivity102 dB in 1 mW
Clamping Pressure5 N
Cables3 m detachable OCC cable (6.35 mm)

1 m detachable OFC cable (3.5 mm)
Cable ConnectorsOutput: 2.5 mm mono mini jacks

Input: 6.35 mm stereo jack, 3.5 mm stereo jack
Weight395 g (without cable)
Included AccessoriesWooden Box

Carrying Case

6.35 mm and 3.5 mm cables

Alternative set of velour ear pads

User Manual
Driver Specifications
Driver TypePlanar Magnetic
Driver Size (Oval)85 x 69 mm
Magnet SystemSymmetric push-pull neodymium
Frequency Response

In Free-Field
10 - 50,000 Hz
Long-Term

Max Input Power
500 mW according to IEC 60268-7
Pulse Max Input Power2 W

http://www.oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-1/

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
At $1099, they need to sound absolutely great to be a good deal. And the way Oppo tends to do business, there are not likely to be any special sale prices ever on new units, so that is the street price.

It will be interesting to read some reviews when they come out.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1525619/oppo-pm-1-planar-magnetic-headphones#post_24564776 At $1099, they need to sound absolutely great to be a good deal. And the way Oppo tends to do business, there are not likely to be any special sale prices ever on new units, so that is the street price.  It will be interesting to read some reviews when they come out.
Yes it will be interesting if they are worth the full MSRP!

·
Registered
14,746 Posts

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac  /t/1525619/oppo-pm-1-planar-magnetic-headphones#post_24566606

The PM-1s are out of my price range. But the PM-2s that Oppo just announced at $699 could be of interest.

http://oppodigital.azurewebsites.net/future/PM-2_Planar_Magnetic_Headphones.aspx

Bill

I'm definitely interested. I only recently got the HE-400s, and was thinking that the HE-500s might be in my future in a few months. Now the PM-2s just complicated that in a good way

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
the picture of the box they have on their website doesn't do justice to the beauty that it the actual box people are receiving:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
they are not mine, I only have as my primary HP Denon AH-D5000 . I am waiting for the PM-2

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler  /t/1525619/oppo-pm-1-planar-magnetic-headphones/0_100#post_24589225

the picture of the box they have on their website doesn't do justice to the beauty that it the actual box people are receiving:

It is too bad they don't sell it without a fancy box at a reduced price reflecting the savings for not spending so much on a nice box.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1525619/oppo-pm-1-planar-magnetic-headphones#post_24590202

It is too bad they don't sell it without a fancy box at a reduced price reflecting the savings for not spending so much on a nice box.
Exactly, they could sell it a little less fancy band parts and lose the box and probably sell it for, I don't know, $699 or so.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler  /t/1525619/oppo-pm-1-planar-magnetic-headphones/0_100#post_24591626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1525619/oppo-pm-1-planar-magnetic-headphones#post_24590202

Exactly, they could sell it a little less fancy band parts and lose the box and probably sell it for, I don't know, $699 or so.

We will have to wait and see if the PM-2 is that or not. Judging from their preliminary comments, I think it will simply be a lesser set of headphones rather than the same performance as the PM-1 while being less "fancy," but, again, we will have to wait and see.

If it is simply the PM-1 in budget form, then it will be a welcome option.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
No formal review I can find just some initial impressions.

Sounds like they are very balanced, great for well recorded content, not so good for poorly recorded material, not as open and airy as the HD-800's.

Will wait for a formal review from headfi before I jump in.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Not much in the way of really descriptive reviews out there yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler  /t/1525619/oppo-pm-1-planar-magnetic-headphones#post_24591626

The case is part of Oppo Digital's attention to detail and first impressions, it really isn't very much of a cost increase, just to illustrate your getting something special.

OPPO PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphones Preview - Audioholics - April 8th

·
Registered
12 Posts

The box is a wood veneer. It looks amazing in person though. Haven't had a chance to really listen to them yet. They belong to a friend of mine.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by htspeakerguy  /t/1525619/oppo-pm-1-planar-magnetic-headphones#post_24594621 The box is a wood veneer. It looks amazing in person though. Haven't had a chance to really listen to them yet. They belong to a friend of mine.
Veneer not solid wood!

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse  /t/1525619/oppo-pm-1-planar-magnetic-headphones#post_24596597

Veneer not solid wood!
Yes. As far as I can tell it's a veneer, but I only saw it briefly. I think someone on Head-Fi also confirmed that it was a veneer. 

Regardless, the box is really impressive. You feel like you should put on white gloves before handling the box or the headphones.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
 FIRST LISTEN: OPPO PM-1 PLANAR MAGNETIC HEADPHONES - by Chris Martens | Apr 11, 2014

Quote:
One point I would make is that the PM-1 is absolutely NOT one of the headphones where you have to squint your eyes and grit your teeth, working hard to enjoy the sound. On the contrary, everything about the Oppo—including both the physical feel of the headphone and its sound—is as comfortable and naturally relaxing as a weekend afternoon spent wearing a favourite pair of blue jeans and walking shoes. This comfort factor is, I think, a rare and valuable thing whose importance is often overlooked; it’s the sort of factor that spells the difference between a product that is exciting for the first 20 minutes or so versus one you want to keep using for hours on end.

Looking back, did you ever expect to see a serious high-end hedphone bearing the Oppo logo?

We’re still in the early going, here, but my instinct is that Oppo has a runaway winner on its hands with its PM-1 headphone. Give a pair a listen and see what you think.

One final thought: Did I mention that the build quality and all-around fit and finish of this headphone are simply superb? They are. Indeed, my educated opinion is that many other manufacturers could learn a lot by closely studying Oppo’s impressive workmanship in every aspect of this headphone.

Watch for the upcoming Hi-Fi+ review of the Oppo PM-1 and until then, happy listening to you and yours.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV  /t/1525619/oppo-pm-1-planar-magnetic-headphones/0_100#post_24592353

The case is part of Oppo Digital's attention to detail and first impressions, it really isn't very much of a cost increase, just to illustrate your getting something special.

I agree. The box is very nice, but it really couldn't cost too much to produce.

It's more about presentation, class, and quality.

Oppo gives you a Bentley for the price of a Mercedes.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts