AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start this to monitor the issues since the main owners' thread doesn't have a compilation of such issues and we are beginning to see quite a few of them.

I am sure they can be resolved, but this will make it easier for owners to see the issues and how they are being worked upon.

For more info on the player, please refer to the owners' thread here:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2676801-official-oppo-udp-203-owner-s-thread.html

Please post only technical issues here
- save your "I own this photos" for the owners' thread, cheers.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The glitch count so far:

- some HDCP 2.2 device error messages ("device does not support HDCP 2.2" - and the workaround is to go direct to the TV)
- some HDMI cables are having issues with 4k/60?
- loud 4k disc spinning
- stuttering and blank outs
- auto resolution auto color space and everything else on auto. I get picture for blu-ray and DVD to my pioneer kuro. no picture with PAL DVD. this is not an issue with my samsung uhd player
- If I leave on auto resolution, auto colour and everything else on auto I cannot get oppo menu to display to my jvc x7000 projector. this is not an issue with my samsung uhd player
- If I put a uhd blu-ay in the oppo this will come up with a hdcp 2.2 error when I try to display an image on the pioneer kuro. this is not an issue with my samsung uhd player
- if running dual displays and I switch between displays, I note you cant run dual displays with uhd blu-ray. get no picture on the pioneer kuro and picture on the projector. if I select just the kuro I get no picture. if I just select the projector I will get an image. this is not an issue with my samsung uhd player I can switch between displays on the fly always get image on either display or both as required.
- Red Push when stripping HDR meta data to obtain BT2020 w/SDR.
- Something about auto resolution and ability to see the home screen. You'll have to read up I haven't paid much attention to that one.

(with contributions from others from the owners' thread) - thanks for writing in :)

OP: this is the Stutter issue.

Problem: Stutter/repeated frame approximately every 41.5 seconds
Root cause: Oppo firmware bug incorrectly sending 23.976 content as 24.000 needing occasional snycing and causing a stutter. The info screen still reports both input and output rates as 23.976 but It's actually locked to 24 FPS (confirmed by wl1, in lumagen processor). 1/(24.000-23.976=41.667
Diagnosis: play film known to be 23.976 (confirm with long press on info button); witness stuttering approximately every 41 seconds, easiest seen with panning and camera angle changes that happen to coincide.
Solution: Oppo to fix bug

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Noticed some slight stuttering on ST Beyond. Nothing new that isn't already listed, though. Otherwise, it's working very well and I'm sure Oppo will sort it out.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
So my ongoing issue with the 203 having freezing issues in 3 of the 4 movies I've watched continues. (The Revenant, Pacific Rim and Jason Bourne) I sent them some videos of the issue. The general gist is that 1 video is a scene in Jason Bourn that freezes and the player alternates between reads 0 bits and 7-8 bits but never moves. The other is the same scene being played on my XboX One 1 with no issues. This is their response:

On Dec 23, 2016, at 1:46 AM, OPPO Service wrote:

Patrick,

In the video the player is clearly having disc reading issues as the disc is showing 0mbps while the freezing is occurring. In most cases these kind of reading errors are disc related, and can be corrected by the player's firmware being upgraded with more robust error correction, replacing the disc, or replacing the player that has a more robust laser head.

If at all possible we would recommend that you send us the discs for media compatibility testing. We will be able to try the discs on our UHD players. If we find that your discs work properly, then we can replace your player. If we find that your discs do not work properly, then we will replace the discs with the copy of the films we have and see if this fixes the issues that you are currently experiencing with your player.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

My Response

Thank you for reviewing the videos.

In all honesty, sending the 3 discs that have had issues on the my 203 so that you can test them to see if they play on your 203 doesn't seem like a scalable or practical solution for consumers especially if those discs play on another player. The 3rd video in my email is the Jason Bourne scene that froze on the Oppo but does play on my Xbox One S. Even assuming that it's a disc problem (would be 3/4 discs I've played on it had a mfg. defect that caused the same issue) it's not material enough that it causes the XBox any issues.

This is the long way of me saying that of the 3 potential issues you outlined in your email, there is a high likelihood that there is either an issue with the laser head (need a more "robust" one to use your words) or that the player's software as it related to error correction needs improvement. Not every disc is going to be perfect and even if it's perfect the first time it's played, it may not be the 5th time. Discs will get small scratches over time and I'd think that a player of this cost would be designed to deal with that.

I'm not trying to be difficult here. I've owned two other Oppo players that I also bought very very early and both have worked great but this one simply can't seem to play most 4K discs from start to finish, discs that my XBox One S can play. I'm more than happy to try a beta firmware that has a higher error tolerance and see if that works consistently. The other two choices are 1) Oppo sends me a new player and a return shipping label for this one 2) Oppo sends me a return label for this one and I get my $600+ back. (Paid for 2 day shipping originally). Do you have a firmware that I can try? I know others have had similar issues on AVSForum so I'm guessing that there may be a tweaked firmware sooner rather than later. Happy to talk.

Patrick

·
Registered
22 Posts
so been running it for a week now and have come accross 2 issues, one is already known and the other doesnt seem to of been mentioned before.

issue 1 ( known ) udp-203 --> Onkyo tx-nr656 avr --> Benq W6000 1080 projector
if oppo is connected to a (HDMI 2.0a HDCP 2.2) on the AVR and the HDMI output connector on the AVR is also
(HDMI 2.0a HDCP2.2) then a fault in the hdmi chain occurs when a 4k uhd disc is played and a oppo error message is
displayed with a warning that the display is not hdcp 2.2 compliant , no picture can then be displayed however audio still works.
note: the oppo menu and blu-ray and media content in 1080p will playback correctly.

(temporary fixes that work so far) .....

1. run a hdmi cable from oppo directly to projecter and use the oppo hdmi audio out directly to the AVR
( personally not a fan of this option as you lose the AVR's osd and need to cable swap if using other devices on the projector.)

2. plug the oppo into your AVR's non HDCP2.2 inputs if you have them, the oppo will then see a non 4k compliant next in the chain
and down convert to 1080p as its meant to do.
( my preferance, it works and allows you to operate with one cable and use the AVR as designed.)

Issue 2. udp-203 --> Onkyo tx-nr656 avr --> Benq W6000 1080 projector
Oppo colour space if left on 'Auto' whilst connected in the above mentioned manner goes to "RGB PC Level" causing a darker
overall image and shadow crush.

(temporary fix that works so far)...

1. manualy select "RGB Video Level" in the oppo colour space options to correct the issue.

p.s both issues may will be caused by the same fault in the oppo at this time, hopefully firmware down the track will correct.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Um, the owner's thread is supposed to be for technical talk only. Please don't encourage people to post "I own this photos" and other such nonsense there. That's not helpful.
Agree 100% Having two threads, imo, does not help!

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Tried another Oppo player in a mate's home:
No loud noises in spinning any discs.
Plenty of stutters in a variety of discs and some freezes.
I am hoping that Oppo resolves this in the near future.

My own conclusion is that it is not related to the disc, and that the current firmware is still glitchy..
The stuttering is not good Pete, hopefully a new firmware will help. After initial stuttering issues on the original firmware my 203 works great. Bitstream does Atmos fine no issues and no more stuttering. Hope yours is working OK and that you have a Merry Christmas.
Carter

·
Registered
43 Posts
If i look at the Audio Information in the extended information than i see for example Input: Dolby Digital 5.1, Output (Main): AC3 5.1. It make no difference if HDMI Audio is Auto or Bitstream.
On my Pioneer AVR i see Dolby Digital 5.1 as input as expected. Why is Output Main displayed as AC3? Is there any difference between AC3 and Dolby Digital?

·
One-Man Content Creator
24,958 Posts
If i look at the Audio Information in the extended information than i see for example Input: Dolby Digital 5.1, Output (Main): AC3 5.1. It make no difference if HDMI Audio is Auto or Bitstream.
On my Pioneer AVR i see Dolby Digital 5.1 as input as expected. Why is Output Main displayed as AC3? Is there any difference between AC3 and Dolby Digital?
Same thing. The complete name is "Dolby Digital AC3".

-Bill

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
I have Oppo -> Anthem AVM 60 -> JVC 4910 and I get no Oppo menu when turning on initially. A power cycle of the Oppo seems to correct it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So my ongoing issue with the 203 having freezing issues in 3 of the 4 movies I've watched continues. (The Revenant, Pacific Rim and Jason Bourne) I sent them some videos of the issue. The general gist is that 1 video is a scene in Jason Bourn that freezes and the player alternates between reads 0 bits and 7-8 bits but never moves. The other is the same scene being played on my XboX One 1 with no issues. This is their response:

On Dec 23, 2016, at 1:46 AM, OPPO Service wrote:

Patrick,

In the video the player is clearly having disc reading issues as the disc is showing 0mbps while the freezing is occurring. In most cases these kind of reading errors are disc related, and can be corrected by the player's firmware being upgraded with more robust error correction, replacing the disc, or replacing the player that has a more robust laser head.

If at all possible we would recommend that you send us the discs for media compatibility testing. We will be able to try the discs on our UHD players. If we find that your discs work properly, then we can replace your player. If we find that your discs do not work properly, then we will replace the discs with the copy of the films we have and see if this fixes the issues that you are currently experiencing with your player.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

My Response

Thank you for reviewing the videos.

In all honesty, sending the 3 discs that have had issues on the my 203 so that you can test them to see if they play on your 203 doesn't seem like a scalable or practical solution for consumers especially if those discs play on another player. The 3rd video in my email is the Jason Bourne scene that froze on the Oppo but does play on my Xbox One S. Even assuming that it's a disc problem (would be 3/4 discs I've played on it had a mfg. defect that caused the same issue) it's not material enough that it causes the XBox any issues.

This is the long way of me saying that of the 3 potential issues you outlined in your email, there is a high likelihood that there is either an issue with the laser head (need a more "robust" one to use your words) or that the player's software as it related to error correction needs improvement. Not every disc is going to be perfect and even if it's perfect the first time it's played, it may not be the 5th time. Discs will get small scratches over time and I'd think that a player of this cost would be designed to deal with that.

I'm not trying to be difficult here. I've owned two other Oppo players that I also bought very very early and both have worked great but this one simply can't seem to play most 4K discs from start to finish, discs that my XBox One S can play. I'm more than happy to try a beta firmware that has a higher error tolerance and see if that works consistently. The other two choices are 1) Oppo sends me a new player and a return shipping label for this one 2) Oppo sends me a return label for this one and I get my $600+ back. (Paid for 2 day shipping originally). Do you have a firmware that I can try? I know others have had similar issues on AVSForum so I'm guessing that there may be a tweaked firmware sooner rather than later. Happy to talk.

Patrick
Seems reasonable to me. Oppo is just trying to develop a collection of potentially problematic UHD discs that they can use to tune their physical disc reader and error correction routines. You would be helping them in this regard.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.