AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I haven't yet but I will. Now that I think about it I have seen it in a movie, a horizontal blue line. Must be a timing issue.

·
Banned
868 Posts
LG(?) has already made a curved 100" 5120 x 2160 display. More will follow if there is software. In fact, all the good things about TVs these days started out in PC monitors. Those included progressive scan and high frame rates. Notice the shape of PC monitors of late? Many are moving to the "ultra wide" aspect of 2.37:1.
I like 21:9 monitors but the extra resolution provided by 5K ultrawide is useless for movies, only for games.

For movies the ideal 21:9 monitor resolution is 3840 x 1600 so there is never any horizontal scaling, only vertical cropping or scaling depending on what you prefer. Upscaling for nothing, by a non-integer ratio (1.33x horizontally and variable vertically, depending on the exact vertical resolution of the movie in question which as you know can vary quite a bit from 1600 lines to 1640 or more), results in lowered image quality and sharpness.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
I like 21:9 monitors but the extra resolution provided by 5K ultrawide is useless for movies, only for games.

For movies the ideal 21:9 monitor resolution is 3840 x 1600 so there is never any horizontal scaling, only vertical cropping or scaling depending on what you prefer. Upscaling for nothing, by a non-integer ratio (1.33x horizontally and variable vertically, depending on the exact vertical resolution of the movie in question which as you know can vary quite a bit from 1600 lines to 1640 or more), results in lowered image quality and sharpness.
Based on what I am seeing from Epson and Optoma UHD projectors, Scaling or more to point, 1:1 pixel mapping is irrelevant with UHD content.

However, the true 21:9 mode for UHD has 2160 vertical pixels and would support 5120 pixels if the studios would encode properly. At this time, they are just catering for a 16:9 market, so everything is maxed out to 3840 wide. Which kind of reminds me of early DVD days when studios were not using the anamorphic enhancement function, so would do 4 x 3 letter boxed transfers instead of 16:9 anamorphic. Why did they do this? Because MOST people owned 4 x 3 TVs.

So it really is a chicken / egg thing. Make the displays to move the population to UW but also give us program to support that. If they were smart, they would be encoding for 21:9 now and the current 16:9 players would not see this, hence reformat for 16:9. Update the player and you already have software. DTS did this on BD where they were already encoding at HDMA, but no one would hear this until HDMI 1.3 came out.

Reactions: john hunter

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
I got to play with that 21:9 mode today. SONY projector won't scale for CIH with 4K HDR10, but the OPPO 203 allows easy AR changes at the push of a button (zoom on the remote). Very neat.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
I have a movable A-lens on a sled so I put the OPPO 203 to 21:9 Movable. But I also tried it at 21:9 Fixed. Seems to work the same. Anybody know the difference between these two options?

·
Registered
27,795 Posts
Does the OPPO's 21:9 mode only work with a lens in place? Does it have an option for scaling the image down to occupy the center of the 21:9 image when doing the Zoom Method?

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Does the OPPO's 21:9 mode only work with a lens in place? Does it have an option for scaling the image down to occupy the center of the 21:9 image when doing the Zoom Method?
I don't have my 203 yet, but my 103D seems to have a "half zoom" mode that looks to be about right for shrinking down the 16:9 image to be the same height as the active image of a letter box film. I would need to do some testing, but I think this is the mode. The question then is, does it still work now OPPO have introduced the new 21:9 mode to the 203?

I think to get the zoom/shrink to work, you would have to not use the 21:9 mode as that seems to introduce the scaling.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Initially I only remember the 21:9 Moveable and 21:9 Fixed modes but I checked last night and they added the 21:9 Cropped mode which allows you to stay zoomed on a 2.35 screen. I verified all scaling is correct. Nice addition for zooming.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I have a movable A-lens on a sled so I put the OPPO 203 to 21:9 Movable. But I also tried it at 21:9 Fixed. Seems to work the same. Anybody know the difference between these two options?
The 16x9 mode on 21:9 Fixed is accomplished by squeezing the 16x9 info into a 12x9(4x3) while the 21:9 Moveable is 16x9 mode is non-scaled due to the lens being moved out of the light path. The 21:9 and Full modes scaling will be the same on both Fixed and Moveable as the lens is engaged.

·
Registered
27,795 Posts
Initially I only remember the 21:9 Moveable and 21:9 Fixed modes but I checked last night and they added the 21:9 Cropped mode which allows you to stay zoomed on a 2.35 screen. I verified all scaling is correct. Nice addition for zooming.
Just to confirm, these all work on 4k Ultra HD sources?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just to confirm, these all work on 4k Ultra HD sources?
Yes. All 4K sources whether from the Oppo via disc,4K streamed from thumb drives from the usb ins and my Roku and Nvidia 4K streamers all running 4K24/30/60. 4K60 was really the big problem as no JVC will scale that internally. HDR flagging is flawless with all inputs. I'm growing partial to the look of 4K60 streaming. I rarely rent but I watched BR2049 in 4K60/HDR from Vudu on the Shield and it looked really good.

·
Premium Member
23,954 Posts
The 16x9 mode on 21:9 Fixed is accomplished by squeezing the 16x9 info into a 12x9(4x3) while the 21:9 Moveable is 16x9 mode is non-scaled due to the lens being moved out of the light path. The 21:9 and Full modes scaling will be the same on both Fixed and Moveable as the lens is engaged.
I just stumbled onto this and I must of done something wrong. When I tried 21:9 moveable it just stretched the picture horizontally when I used my moveable lens ( no difference to when using a 16x9 AR). Do I have to put the projector on a different setting ?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I just stumbled onto this and I must of done something wrong. When I tried 21:9 moveable it just stretched the picture horizontally when I used my moveable lens ( no difference to when using a 16x9 AR). Do I have to put the projector on a different setting ?
The JVC must be set to Anamorphic Off and not A or B. I’ll double check the moveable scaling as I focused on the 21:9 Cropped mode last run thru.

·
Premium Member
23,954 Posts
The JVC must be set to Anamorphic Off and not A or B. I’ll double check the moveable scaling as I focused on the 21:9 Cropped mode last run thru.
Hi Coolrda there all off I just move the lens with no anamorphic supplied by the projector. At the moment I see no difference between the 16:9 and 21:9 moveable.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I'm playing around with this mode for my setup...which is a JCV projector and just 2:35:1 screen via masking...no A-Lens. I Have two questions regarding my setup...see below:

I set up the projector with the masking panels off (16:9 screen) so when I do not use the Oppo CIH mode, the oppo home menu, etc extends onto the panels when they are on. As expected. 2:35 content plays back perfectly with the panels and no changes to the oppo...the home menu over-spill is the only problem.

When I use the cropped CIH mode, the Oppo Home Menu is then the correct Height (no over-spill), but does not fill the screen. I then use one of the zoom modes, and it will eventually fill the 2:35:1 screen.

1) Is this the proper way to use the CIH mode for my setup?
2) Is there a way to save the zoom setting on the Oppo so it reverts back to it after a power cycle? As best I can tell, when I power off the player, it only remembers the CIH mode setting, so on a restarts, it not doing the zoom and does not fill the screen.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hi Coolrda there all off I just move the lens with no anamorphic supplied by the projector. At the moment I see no difference between the 16:9 and 21:9 moveable.
I double checked and it scales properly in 21:9 Movable. I confirmed with several 4K blurays and all function the same. What content are you scaling?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'm playing around with this mode for my setup...which is a JCV projector and just 2:35:1 screen via masking...no A-Lens. I Have two questions regarding my setup...see below:

I set up the projector with the masking panels off (16:9 screen) so when I do not use the Oppo CIH mode, the oppo home menu, etc extends onto the panels when they are on. As expected. 2:35 content plays back perfectly with the panels and no changes to the oppo...the home menu over-spill is the only problem.

When I use the cropped CIH mode, the Oppo Home Menu is then the correct Height (no over-spill), but does not fill the screen. I then use one of the zoom modes, and it will eventually fill the 2:35:1 screen.

1) Is this the proper way to use the CIH mode for my setup?
2) Is there a way to save the zoom setting on the Oppo so it reverts back to it after a power cycle? As best I can tell, when I power off the player, it only remembers the CIH mode setting, so on a restarts, it not doing the zoom and does not fill the screen.

Thanks!
21:9 Cropped is for CIH systems where the Projector is zoomed to fill the screens width with overspill on the top and bottom. This is permenently blanked and masked basically turning your 16x9 projector into a 21x9 projector with you having 800x1920 or 1600x3840 pixels and all content scaled to this. Now 16x9 content is scaled to this new pixel count inside the CIH system. No further zooming or scaling should be done with the projector as is the case with all of these 21:9 modes.

·
Premium Member
23,954 Posts
I double checked and it scales properly in 21:9 Movable. I confirmed with several 4K blurays and all function the same. What content are you scaling?

X-men apocalypse 4k

What process steps do you use. You place it on 21:9 moveable. Do you stretch the picture ? Sorry I’m trying to get a better understand in how this works, what its purpose is.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
X-men apocalypse 4k

What process steps do you use. You place it on 21:9 moveable. Do you stretch the picture ? Sorry I’m trying to get a better understand in how this works, what its purpose is.
I used Fixed as my lens is always in the light path. Heres a video of what happens when I scale with it set to 21:9 Movable. Excuse the poor quality. I recorded in HD but uploaded in SD.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Just to futher elaborate and clarify, if I had a lens sled, with the lens out I would use 16x9 and it would scale as a typical non lens projector with a letterboxed presentation. Full appears to stretch the picture horizontally, which I only see a benefit with 4x3 material if you wish to stretch it to fill the screen. 21x9 stretchs the picture vertically to to fill the screen with the lens in place. So lens in light path and 21:9 for 2.35 content and lens removed from light path and 16:9 for 1.78/1.85 content and ignore Full.

21 - 40 of 409 Posts