AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 409 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,956 Posts
Just to futher elaborate and clarify, if I had a lens sled, with the lens out I would use 16x9 and it would scale as a typical non lens projector with a letterboxed presentation. Full appears to stretch the picture horizontally, which I only see a benefit with 4x3 material if you wish to stretch it to fill the screen. 21x9 stretchs the picture vertically to to fill the screen with the lens in place. So lens in light path and 21:9 for 2.35 content and lens removed from light path and 16:9 for 1.78/1.85 content and ignore Full.

Thank you so much for that Coolrda. That was very helpful will look at it again tonight.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've been using the 21.9 Cropped mode for awhile with my 203. Has anyone noticed that the when switching to the 16.9 mode by using the zoom button - that a 16.9 movie is still zoomed not quite right? I've brought up the issue a few months ago with Oppo and in the 203 owners thread but maybe I'm not doing something correct. Just to confirm, menus fit correctly but 16.9 content played through my Nvidia Shield (kodi) projected by my JVC RS500 are still just a bit too big to fit within my screen. I had a lumagen mini and was hoping that it would be a shrink to fit solution like that. Am I crazy?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Downloaded the beta firmware which fixes the color shifting with 21:9 modes. Theres mention of the improved sharpness with all material including 4K and that Oppo now has the sharpness and quality of the UB900. While I would need to see and A/B comp I have to say overall its never looked crisper, tack sharp with incredible shadow detail and color saturation.

·
Premium Member
23,956 Posts
Just to futher elaborate and clarify, if I had a lens sled, with the lens out I would use 16x9 and it would scale as a typical non lens projector with a letterboxed presentation. Full appears to stretch the picture horizontally, which I only see a benefit with 4x3 material if you wish to stretch it to fill the screen. 21x9 stretchs the picture vertically to to fill the screen with the lens in place. So lens in light path and 21:9 for 2.35 content and lens removed from light path and 16:9 for 1.78/1.85 content and ignore Full.

Tried it tonight with new Blade Runner fantastic with the 21:9 mode. Thanks for your help. Puts a new lease in life regarding anamorphic for us new lens owners.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Tried it tonight with new Blade Runner fantastic with the 21:9 mode. Thanks for your help. Puts a new lease in life regarding anamorphic for us new lens owners.
Your welcome. I agree and actually prefer having the Oppo do the scaling. The fact it does the same with HDMI in and gives you all the data specs to boot is great.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi, for those of us who doesn't have projector but TV (I have the Sony A1E), what is the best 21:9 zoom setting we should use?

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Hi Coolrda there all off I just move the lens with no anamorphic supplied by the projector. At the moment I see no difference between the 16:9 and 21:9 moveable.
AFAIK, the moveable option is no different to the Vertical Stretch of the previous player and or FW of this player. The real magic happens when you select "fixed" lens and then use the zoom button (denoted by the magnifying glass on the remote) to toggle between VS, HS and normal.

In the moveable option, there is no HS mode because you would have moved the lens out of the light path for this.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Hi, for those of us who doesn't have projector but TV (I have the Sony A1E), what is the best 21:9 zoom setting we should use?
You use 16:9 unless you have a 21:9 TV.

·
Premium Member
23,956 Posts
AFAIK, the moveable option is no different to the Vertical Stretch of the previous player and or FW of this player. The real magic happens when you select "fixed" lens and then use the zoom button (denoted by the magnifying glass on the remote) to toggle between VS, HS and normal.

In the moveable option, there is no HS mode because you would have moved the lens out of the light path for this.

I found the moveable option when using the 21:9 with lens on front I’ve noticed that information is now on screen ( not cut off like in stretch mode )

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
I found the moveable option when using the 21:9 with lens on front I’ve noticed that information is now on screen ( not cut off like in stretch mode )
I don't have my player yet. Are you guys able to post screen grabs on how this works?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Based on what I am seeing from Epson and Optoma UHD projectors, Scaling or more to point, 1:1 pixel mapping is irrelevant with UHD content.

However, the true 21:9 mode for UHD has 2160 vertical pixels and would support 5120 pixels if the studios would encode properly. At this time, they are just catering for a 16:9 market, so everything is maxed out to 3840 wide. Which kind of reminds me of early DVD days when studios were not using the anamorphic enhancement function, so would do 4 x 3 letter boxed transfers instead of 16:9 anamorphic. Why did they do this? Because MOST people owned 4 x 3 TVs.

So it really is a chicken / egg thing. Make the displays to move the population to UW but also give us program to support that. If they were smart, they would be encoding for 21:9 now and the current 16:9 players would not see this, hence reformat for 16:9. Update the player and you already have software. DTS did this on BD where they were already encoding at HDMA, but no one would hear this until HDMI 1.3 came out.
Sounds great, problem is, UHD discs don't have enough room as it is.

HD discs:
25GB single layer
50GB dual layer

UHD discs:
50 or 66 GB dual layer (50 would be for something short)
100 GB triple layer

HD=1920x1080=2,073,600 pixels
UHD=3840x2160=8,294,400 pixels

That's both sides multiplied twice, not just double the number of pixels, but 4 times as many pixels as HD, yet, the top capacity discs are only twice as large. Yeah, the H.265/HEVC compression is better, but, there's only room for the content as it is, no extras, we're talking about using more compression or getting more capacity out of the discs somehow.

(21:9 UHD 5120x2160=11,059,200 pixels)

DTS is not a fair comparison as we're talking about a much, much smaller amount of data.

An example of the problem with capacity is glaring with the Stranger Things UHD set. A reviewer on blu-ray.com reviewed both the UHD & BD discs. Netflix wanted to stay with using only 2 discs for the entire season for both the HD BDs and UHD BDs. He said the UHD version (SDR) didn't look better than the BDs. Not only did they (obviously) use more compression for the video to get it to fit on 2 100GB discs, they only have lossy audio. So the increase in capacity for UHD content isn't really enough at this point, for the best quality possible at 3840x2160 as it is, never mind going to 5120.

In a way, I think the disc capacities were a half-arsed attempt, they couldn't have done it without the new HEVC/H.265 compression tech also, but, it's still like trying to stuff "one more thing" into that already full suitcase, sometimes you just need a bigger case...and for 5120x2160 we need higher capacity discs, (or add another disc, which neither side likes.)

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
If it’s done like DVD you simply use the entire 16x9 frame, all 2160 pixel lines instead of 1600. This 21:9 feature would only be of benefit to A lens users due to the vertical stretching of 2.35 content to fill the 16x9 frame.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
If it’s done like DVD you simply use the entire 16x9 frame, all 2160 pixel lines instead of 1600. This 21:9 feature would only be of benefit to A lens users due to the vertical stretching of 2.35 content to fill the 16x9 frame.
I know that the Phillips 21:9 TVs would bi-cubic scale BDs to map out at 2560 x 1080. What we need to see is more 5120 x 2160 TVs (LG and I think Samsung) and if they could provide an electrical stretch, then the "anamorphic" mode you described (and how they should be done IMO) would work for all markets.

Full screen for 21:9 TVs [21:9 mode]
Anamorphic encodes for projectors + A-Lenses [21:9 mode]
Letterbox or centre crops for 16:9 [both 16:9 or 21:9 mode]

Reactions: coolrda

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
This menu shows the disc data specs accessed by holding down the INFO button.
Cool. Are you able to video the AR change when you press the zoom button?

41 - 60 of 409 Posts