AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Sharp 1080p LCD display. Our viewing habits are 50% TV, 30% kids playing video games and 20% dvds. We have a large collection of DVDs. I just moved and my basement projector set up won't be up and running for a while.

I was about to buy the Oppo upconverting DVD player 981 HD based on recommendations from the Forum. This week-end, I got a flyer in the Sunday paper with a Toshiba HD-DVD player for $500 (2nd generation) that says it's backwards compatible.

Here's what I think I know: 1. the HD players only output 1080i max and the TV would have to scale it; 2. I won't be able to tell without doing an A/B comparison whether the scaler in the Oppo is better than the scaler in the TV - and I'd have to send 480p vs. 480i vs 1080p to the TV to see and I think I can only send 1080i and p over HDMI anyway.; 3. I won't have the money or chance to buy both and return one. I know the HD player is 2x the price, but it's the cheapest I've seen it. Also, I know eventually the LG (and maybe other) universal players will eventually be released and affordable, but it could be a long time.

Can anyone provide advice and input to help? Thanks!!

·
Registered
16,165 Posts
Actually, you can get the Tosh A2 HD-DVD player for $400. IMO, it's the way to go since, for only a little more than an Oppo, it upscales your old DVD collection as well as the Oppo, and plays HD-DVDs to boot. The LG dual format player is said to cost $1200.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Also Toshiba just announce the HDA20 Player at the 2007 CES show, which will output 1080P for $599 list (Street Price will be lower).

If the deinterlacer in your TV is not good this would be the player to pick, otherwise the HDA2 should be just fine.

Both come with the 3 free HDDVD movies promo from Toshiba.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The scaler in the Oppo is the Faroudja scaler - I think. Does anyone know if the scaler in that Toshiba HD player is any good?

I read the sticky on DVDs and it was very helpful.

But the question remains whether the image would be better with the Oppo scaler scaling 480i DVD into 480p/1080i/1080p and viewing it on a 1080p LCD vs an HD DVD (as I understand it, burned in somethign more than 480i/p) and output in 1080i and scaled by the TV into 1080p.

Both will be over HDMI so there'll be no analogue to digital conversion in the player.

I know nothing about (i) the Toshiba player, especially it's scaling abilities for regular DVDs or (ii) the Oppo, other than it seemed to be tops on the Perfect Visions's DVD tests.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't know about other TVs, but the Plush engine my Mitsu LT-46131 upscales more cleanly than the Faroudja engine my Oppo 981 does. I get way more noise and blockiness running the Oppo at 1080p than when I run it at 480p and let the TV do the upscaling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.