Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay warn us,

What DVD have you purchased /rented where the PQ on the DVD was so bad you couldn't believe it? I rented an INDE film at BB named "Gabriella". The PQ was so bad it looked like it was mastered from a VHS tape. However, this is not my answer to my own question, I'll look at my library and list my own vote for worst PQ DVD.

Mark

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
The initial release of "Basic Instinct". I purchased it for the "interrogation" scene and it was horrible, practically unwatchable. I've since replace it with the "Ice Pick" version and I believe it has been released on DVHS DTheater in HD, now that would be an interrogation!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Goodfellas - Great film, horendous DVD. Also, misleading format description on box makes it even worse. A real shame for such a classic american film to receive such poor treatment on DVD.

(edited for spelling)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marissadad,

Hah!

That could be either a resolution problem or a black level expansion/setting problem.

Mark

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hunt for Red October is pretty bad.....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Besides the obvious well known answers... I have to say Grease has been one DVD that disappointed me greatly.

It's anamorphic and OAR, but the transfer quality is very poor.

That, and Good Will Hunting. Why would they make such a recent movie non-anamorphic?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Pretty much any Kung Fu movie from Hong Kong made prior to about 1985. I love Jackie Chan films, but some of the best ones (Fearless Hyena, Snake in Eagles Shadow, etc.) are unbelievably painful to see on dvd.

And don't get me started on the dubbing.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'd like to add Elton John's DVD concert : One Night Only. Fabulous songs, excellent sound and a soft, blurry PQ.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Fleetwood Mac : The Dance

The whole concert looks like it was shot with a dirty lens on the camera. It's blurry, compression artifacts, 4:3 picture. The sound is pretty bad too.

I was disappointed.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Donnie Darko-Good movie, awful transfer

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with movie_guy.

The worst picture quality movie goes absolutely without a doubt Highelander 2 the Renegade version THX.

I do not know how this dvd passed the quality inspection let alone from THX. The dvd is laden with pixelization and shimmering as if this has resolution for 160 lines.

I had to watch this in absolute disgust.

None of the above mentioned dvds come close to the awfulness of this tragic Highlander dvd.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
anything letterboxed. anything non-anamorphic. anything non-OAR (I can't believe I rented the full screen version of One Hour Photo yesterday).

sorry, I know the question was about the worst transfer...

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Highlander and Scarface are definitely two of worst, but here are some runner ups:

The original Die Hard (not the 5-star ed).

The original Pulp Fiction

The original Monty Python and the holly grail

The original CaddyShack
Deer Hunter (hopefully I can add the words "The original" soon).

The original Unforgiven

Interesting that most of these have been re-transfered to much, much better dvd's.

Kal

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I hope The Deer Hunter doesn't come out again- I'd be pissed, I just bought it.

Anyway- Highlander 2 was such a bad movie anyways, I don't think a good transfer would help it.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BigguyZ
I hope The Deer Hunter doesn't come out again- I'd be pissed, I just bought it.
It has been scheduled for a new transfer & special edition. The tentative release date is for July 7th, along with an SE version of The Right Stuff.

Source: TheDigitalBits.com

Kal

·
Registered
573 Posts
The worst I own is the pilot of Twin Peaks. This DVD is not available in the US (contract problems) so I bought it off of ebay from a dealer in Hong Kong. The service was good but the picture quality is poor (like bad VHS). The only thing worse is the sound. :D

But, if you have never seen Twin Peaks, are going to watch the first season, and don't have access to some taped TV version, this is a really important DVD to learn about the characters and is worth every penny.

Rick

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.