AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little confused on the HD65 and would like someone to verify, if they can, whether the HD65 does vertical stretch? I am all about budget projectors, and picked up a Mitsu HC1500 over a year ago. It has been a great little machine, but I hadn't intended on going bluray so quickly (my wife got me a ps3 for my birthday, and I have a few bluray movies). Well, the darn thing doesn't do vertical stretch with HD sources.

So I am looking to "upgrade" (although I suppose you could call it "sideways-grade". It seems that the Optoma HD65 is very comparable to the Mitsu HC1500. But I have been reading through the specs, and the manual, and searched commentary, and am not sure whether it does the vertical stretch. In one review I read, it talked about a superwide mode, but it sounds more like zoom than vertical stretch. Also, I see there is a letterbox mode - does that provide the vertical stretch for HD source material?

Any help would be appreciated. I may be selling my HC1500 and picking up the Optoma HD65 just for this one feature.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Steve,

i've just looked into the manual of it.

Short answer: Yes, it does the v-stretch (including HD content)

Optoma calls this scaling function LBX (a button with this name can be found on the remote control unit).

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrooke /forum/post/15618314

Steve

I assume you are going anamorphic since the need for the stretch. What are you doing for a cheap lens?

Tom

I have a Panamorph P752 that I am using right now - got it a few years back for a couple of hundred bucks. I was also heavily involved in the DIY prismatic lens development over the past several years, and have made a couple of pretty good horizontal stretch anamorphic lenses with trophy prisms that work really well. The Panamorph is a vertical compression lens, and it actually works better in my space with my current projector than a horizontal expansion lens, plus it has an optical coating. I understand there were others that were able to get their tophy prisms optically coated - I never went down that path.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got an old Epson that is native 4:3 and I've been debating trying the prisms. (the Epson stretches 16:9 to 4:3). I checked the price and they are pretty cheap. I just haven't decided whether they are worth messing with.

Tom Brooke

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts