AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an old JBL DCR600 receiver which that I just installed via optical audio connection running to my 8300hd Cableivision box. I have no issues getting sound....

However, my Cablevision remote no longer lets me adjust the adjust the volume through the cablebox, only the chan. My only way of changing the volume is via the receiver remote. I really don't want to use two remotes...

By the way, my cable remote controlled the volume just fine when I had RCA audio cable running from the receiver to the cablebox.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I'm not sure why it doesn't just work, same as when connected via RCA.

Thank ya

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmon /forum/post/18284318

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

I'm guessing the cable box is outputting a Dolby Digital signal?

If this is the case the box will be unable to control the volume as the DD signal will be bitstreamed to the receiver as is. You may be able to set the cable box to output a PCM signal instead (which should then allow you to control the volume via the cable box). This would mean any DD 5.1 would be downconverted to a 2.0 signal though.

A universal remote would be the other option.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies....

the only settings i have on the cablebox that i've seen are changing the audio to 'HDMI', 'Dolby Digital' or 'Other'...i tried all of these and the remote volume is still unresponsive...

hadn't thought of a universal remote or programming the one i have with the 8300, but that prob makes sense if i want to take advantage of the better optical audio connection... i just assumed that it should work the same way the rca audio connection did...just plut it in and that was that...

just to be clear, i set the receiver's volume at a fixed level and then used the cablebox to increase the volume...but i was controlling the cablebox volume, not the receiver's...

will take a look at that link tips and tricks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Which remote do you have?

Is it similar to this one

·
Registered
374 Posts
If so, read the manual here:
RT-U63CP.pdf

Specifically read section 5 to see how to program your Audio device, then section 10 to learn how to control whichever device you choose for volume.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some way to control the volume from your receiver at the same time as your cable box.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, it's the standard remote (AT8400) that comes with that 8300hd dvr box:

i also have coaxial audio connection on my receiver and the cablebox....would the audio be treated the same way as the optical connection? could i use the cablebox remote?

i will try to connect it this evening.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Then check here , specifically the section titled "To Program for Volume Control". As long as your receiver is listed, you should be able to control the volume via the remote while using the rest of the buttons to control the box.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ask them for a different remote, one that can control your receiver. You're paying to rent the box, they should provide a remote you can actually use.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
what of the coax audio connection question? any ideas?

The coax and TOSLINK connectors both carry SPDIF, it's not a good idea to make an SPDIF signal variable since it would greatly lower s/n ratio and screw with any encoded or compressed content.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well they only have this one remote available....

i tried running the optical cable from the tv into the receiver and audio works but again, like when i ran the cable from receiver to cable box, cable remote doesn't control audio.

anyway, the logitech harmony remotes look to control everything i need....

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
i tried running the optical cable from the tv into the receiver and audio works but again, like when i ran the cable from receiver to cable box, cable remote doesn't control audio.

That's because they carry the same signal, as previously mentioned.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yep....well, picked up a basic remote and i've got everything set up correctly and now enjoy much better sound...

by the way, for anyone interested....this remote does a very good job for the $20 price...not as fancy (or expensive) as the $100 logitech models, but good just the same....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Universa...=1153999180455

1 - 14 of 14 Posts