AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New To forums but been looking threw for help here for last year and very helpful. So would like to say hi for starts, My question is pertaining to optical cable for connecting a pioneer VSX-D810s reciever to LG BH200 Super Blu player. I seen A few available but wanted to be sure to grab a good one..i seen

ones made of different things glass, etc not sure if theyre pretty much all same or not. I know 'Monster' is out there and i seen some ones called 'Velocity' as well.

-Thanks for your time..

·
Registered
502 Posts
In order to get audio from the HD audio codecs on Blu-Ray, you'll either need to use analog multichannel cables OR HDMI. Optical and Coaxial digital audio connections do not have the bandwith to support DTS-MA or TrueHD in even bitstream mode (they only have enough bandwidth for 2 channels of PCM). Just so you know, you'll default to DTS Core or DD5.1 if using an optical cable with your BR player. I only post this because you said 'optical for HD sound.'

As for optical cables, as long as it actually passes the light from one end to the other, you don't need anything better... especially funny are the gold plated connectors for optical cables. I wonder if those 'Velocity' cables claim to exceed the speed of light?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok Great thanks for replys. Yes im running that setup now i believe.. analog 2ch. and 5.1 for surround. Sounds nice now, just thought the optical cable would get me better quality sound.Though i will need a new reciever probably to get the real benefits of hi-def sound dolby plus etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts