AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
$12 is a decent price.

Be aware that optical cable passes a digital signal. So long as all the bits get through, there are no benefits to be added by more expensive cable.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I bought two 4ft optical cables the other day from BB, they were the Monster THX Ultra 1000's... Supposedly, the inside of the cable is an optically pure glass, rather than some kind of plastic...

I dont know if this is necessarily true or not... eh? Its only money.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
I bought two 4ft optical cables the other day from BB, they were the Monster THX Ultra 1000's... Supposedly, the inside of the cable is an optically pure glass, rather than some kind of plastic...

Sorry its Plastic, though if you wanted a Pure Glass Optical for half Monster prices check this out Glass Optical

·
Registered
438 Posts
it makes no difference if its plastic glass or aluminum foil lol. As long as you get sound then you are getting best sound quality you can get and a different optical cable will make no difference. You get everything or you get nothing.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
Well then. Send me some. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon
it makes no difference if its plastic glass or aluminum foil lol. As long as you get sound then you are getting best sound quality you can get and a different optical cable will make no difference. You get everything or you get nothing.
Does this theory also hold with Coax digital? If so, it's wrong as I can tell you I get a radically different sound from Monster Coax to Stereovox. Monster being warm but euphonic and smears detail. Stereovox very revealing without being too bright, but sounds a bit too digital for music. Really night and day difference.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCrazy
Does this theory also hold with Coax digital? If so, it's wrong as I can tell you I get a radically different sound from Monster Coax to Stereovox. Monster being warm but euphonic and smears detail. Stereovox very revealing without being too bright, but sounds a bit too digital for music. Really night and day difference.
Assuming that they are both quality cables, and shielded from excession RFI and such, they should be the same.

I challenge you to do a blind AB test and see if you can identify which is which.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
You can get glass optical on ebay for half of the one that is posted.

As far as coax, guys took a wire coat hanger and got perfect results.

·
Registered
438 Posts
exactly your not going to hear any differences. In pc world they did a test of a bunch of cables this included analog like component video. They said when measuring with a tool they could see very little difference but when actually viewing pictures and sound there was no difference because the little difference between the cables didnt make any difference. Also digital is digital so when you switched out your digital coaxial cables and the sound changed then something was wrong because how do you change the sound of a 1 or a 0. A 1 is a 1 and a 0 is a 0.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Years of debugging low bit error rates for nothing? Just because audio works does not mean there are no bit errors. (Granted, there is a narrow window between perfect and nothing, and in between (when the signal is marginal), it's an issue of being succeptable to noise.) What about the jitter problem I've hear about with HDMI audio? (Not to suggest this is a cable problem.) The point is, digital is NOT all or nothing (all of the time.)

Other than this, I agree. The expensive cable is over kill and you will not hear a difference.

Re the expensive glass cable. Looks good for a 30' plus run. My guess - a long runs is the one case where an expensive cable may make a difference. At what length and how many extra feet you will get, who knows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.