AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the new 360 Elite, do you have to buy Microsoft's insanely expensive HDMI connector just to be able to also connect your console to a receiver using the Optical connection? My receiver does not pass HDMI well so I don't want to send HDMI to my receiver then to my TV so I want to hook optical to my receiver like I did on my previous 360. Not sure if there was an adapter or something. I currently am using a spare HDMI cable I had to connect to my TV. Anyone know the best way to connect to optical at the same time?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR /forum/post/17036106

On the new 360 Elite, do you have to buy Microsoft's insanely expensive HDMI connector just to be able to also connect your console to a receiver using the Optical connection? My receiver does not pass HDMI well so I don't want to send HDMI to my receiver then to my TV so I want to hook optical to my receiver like I did on my previous 360. Not sure if there was an adapter or something. I currently am using a spare HDMI cable I had to connect to my TV. Anyone know the best way to connect to optical at the same time?
http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
If you mean by new, the upcoming Elite that will replace the pro, then yes you wil either have to make the old adaptor fit by 'modifing' it (there are several threads with pictures telling you how to do it), or you have to get the optical dongle that will fit. The 'old' elites (the current one priced at $399) usually comes with the optical dongle and a HDMI cable in the box. You might be able to snag an 'old' elite for close to the price of the 'new' elite. If you are not going to be fussy about the chipset, then the old elites with holiday bundles would be the better buy.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR /forum/post/17043581

I just bought a new Elite that did not come with an HDMI cable (made in late July). Guess I have to buy the Microsoft cable.

do you not read replies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRic /forum/post/17036518

·
Registered
484 Posts
I guess I was lucky cause my elite came with one of those adapters

·
Banned
3,712 Posts
buy a component cable. remove housing. done.

your asking for something you dont have. you can easily fix it by either buying an adapter or buying the component cables and removing the housing. thats the only 2 ways about it.

also do a search on xbox optical audio. there are close to 10 threads on it and all have come out to the same conclusion.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR /forum/post/17045644

Yes, but I don't have a cord to use. Do you want me to magically create one? Geez dude, mellow out. I would do it if I had a cable.

Here is the link on how to do it:

Get any HDMI cable, and split the component cable that came with the Xbox. Then both cable will fit. You have all the appropraite cords except for the HDMI cable in the new Elite box.

The only other option is search Ebay/Gamestop. I am sure that there are many people that have the dongle and do not use it.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
his problem is that the elite no longer includes the component cable either (in addition to hdmi and the dongle)

·
Registered
27,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape /forum/post/17047685

It comes with a composite cable, which should have an optical output.

The composite cable is the only one that came with it and it does NOT have an optical on it.

I have a standard HDMI cable left over from something else. I was hoping there was something very cheap I can buy that allows me to use optical. Seems like there isn't. Seems like the only choice is to get a hold of an xbox cable and modify it. I guess I will have to either buy the Microsoft cable or maybe I can see if one of my friends has one from their xbox they are not using I can buy cheaply or something.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Wow, not that I am buying another Xbox soon, but if they got rid of that component cable as well, MS really sucks. That is just ridiculous. That cable was great with the little HD/SD switch on it, with the optical out as well. I guess they are assuming you will either use HDMI or composite.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
meh, i'd rather them drop the price by $100, and go out and buy an $8 cable, than pay $100 more, and get the cable, along with a few other things i might not even use.

·
Registered
995 Posts
It's not the HDMI cable that is important.

It's the optical A/V dongle that use to be included, which is $50 from MS. You need this if you do not use HDMI for your sound.

Granted you can find it cheaper elsewhere like ebay and gamestop from people who don't use it.

The new Elite doesn't come with ANY HD cables.

This effectively makes it a Black Xbox 360 Arcade with a 120GB hard drive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts