AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Got a few questions about hooking stuff up with optical cords.

1. Are optical connections likely (keyword likely, I know nothing is certain) to still be around when the next batch of game consoles arrive (ps4 ect)? That's when I'll likely spring for a cheapish (about $250 or lower) Home Theater in a Box set, And I think sets with HDMI ins are fairly expensive, So will a PS4 or Xbox 3 whatever likely still have the optical connections to hook it directly up to a reciver?

2. What cables do I need? Are some optical ins diffirent? Is it just go to a store, pick up and optical cable and it will work with any optical port device?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avichayil /forum/post/19556307

1. I wasn't aware they sold new receivers without HDMI.

2. Buy a refurbished model if you can't find a new one with HDMI.

Well, I think they sell most of them with HDMI Outs, But not ins. Also, I'd just like to know if optical is probably still gonna be around during the next console cycle and if they're likely going to be included with it

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm sure someone will come out with a 3rd party adapter if the console doesn't have HDMI. Think of it this way, not everyone will have an HDTV by the time the next console generation comes around and Sony/Microsoft aren't gonna burn those people by forcing you to use a HDMI connection.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avichayil /forum/post/19556326

I'm sure someone will come out with a 3rd party adapter if the console doesn't have HDMI. Think of it this way, not everyone will have an HDTV by the time the next console generation comes around and Sony/Microsoft aren't gonna burn those people by forcing you to use a HDMI connection.

Yeah, But HDTV isn't what I'm talking about. I'd just like to know if optical ports will more than likely be on those consoles, so if I have to get a HTIAB without HDMI ins, it'd still be compatable?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincorgi /forum/post/19556335

Yeah, But HDTV isn't what I'm talking about. I'd just like to know if optical ports will more than likely be on those consoles, so if I have to get a HTIAB without HDMI ins, it'd still be compatable?

avichayil's point is that since some folks don't have HDTVs (for which HDMI connections are appropriate), console makers are likely to continue to include non-HDMI connection options, which means optical and composite/component video. This is a reasonable argument, though HDTVs are nearing the same price as a console, so it may not turn out to be true.

2. Optical cables are all the same, with very few exceptions like the mini-optical on some laptops. You would be safe just buying whatever optical cables are available. However, optical cables are generally much cheaper online than from a store. For example:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

-Max

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! /forum/post/19556357

Even low end receivers have HDMI in. Forget optical.

So, I could probably find a decent HTIAB online with HDMI ins for under $300 that comes with speakers and everything (preferably $250 or lower, but not below $100)? Even at that, Is optical still likely to be on the next set of consoles? I'm not looking for something grand, Just something better than my TV speakers (forced virtual surround with game mode, voices suck ect, i won't get into that). Could I get something like that with HDMI ins for cheap? How would HDMI ins work anyway, since console only have one HDMI port, How would I hook it up to the TV and the reciver?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincorgi /forum/post/19556362

How would HDMI ins work anyway, since console only have one HDMI port, How would I hook it up to the TV and the reciver?

The normal way to hook up a console with HDMI is that you have one HDMI cable going from the console to the receiver, and a single HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV.

-Max

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper /forum/post/19556377

The normal way to hook up a console with HDMI is that you have one HDMI cable going from the console to the receiver, and a single HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV.

-Max

Okay, But wouldn't that like, Make the controler response time a bit crappier or something since it has to go through a reciver?

So basicaly, I can get a half decent HTIAB set with HDMI in for around $250-$300? If so, would you think the price would be about the same around the time new game systems finally arrive? Sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm new to all this :p

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincorgi /forum/post/19556312

Well, I think they sell most of them with HDMI Outs, But not ins. Also, I'd just like to know if optical is probably still gonna be around during the next console cycle and if they're likely going to be included with it

If there is an HDMI out, then there has to be an HDMI in. Receivers do not produce a video signal other than the onscreen menu. Some other piece of equipment has to produce the video signal ie game console, bluray player, cable box etc. Not sure where you got your info, it's wrong. You can use your HDMI from your gaming console into your receiver, and then use the legacy ouputs to run your old style CRT TV.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincorgi /forum/post/19556379

Okay, But wouldn't that like, Make the controler response time a bit crappier or something since it has to go through a reciver?

So basicaly, I can get a half decent HTIAB set with HDMI in for around $250-$300? If so, would you think the price would be about the same around the time new game systems finally arrive? Sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm new to all this :p

The HDMI cable has nothing to do with controller response time. The controller feeds directly into your console. The result you see on the TV is so fast that there really isn't any lag per se. That's why there is online gaming. The distances are huge, but the speed of communication is so fast that you really don't notice a lag.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/19556517

The HDMI cable has nothing to do with controller response time. The controller feeds directly into your console. The result you see on the TV is so fast that there really isn't any lag per se. That's why there is online gaming. The distances are huge, but the speed of communication is so fast that you really don't notice a lag.

Okay, awesome.

But still, Do you think I can get a half decent HTIAB set with HDMI in for around $250-$300? If so, would you think the price would be about the same around the time new game systems finally arrive (Which can be as late as 2014)? Sorry for all the weird questions, It's just on my TV, I need game mode to do good in games, but it forces me to use crappy virtual surround sound and movie mode and it wont let me switch, So getting these speakers is more of a patch than a thing I actualy want.

So to sum it up, my only questions are

-Can I get a HTIAB set (with HDMI ins) for under $250-300?

-Is HDMI and Optical ports still probably going to be used with even newer consoles when they come out?

-Is the general price on these HTIAB sets likely to change in that timespan?

·
Registered
125 Posts
When are you planning on purchasing?

Yes, HDMI and Optical will stick around. They are digital audio/video connections that will continue to be used.

No, prices won't change. Just like anything, older versions will drop in price and newer components will be market priced accordingly.

·
Registered
364 Posts
This makes me wonder how critical hdmi is. I have an older receiver without hdmi, of course my CRT rptv doesn't either. I am looking at getting a new plasma tv and have been looking at used high end receivers like the top of the line Onkyo or Denon. These were over $3k years ago but can be had for only a few hundred dollars today. I was planning on running hdmi from my bluray and cable box directly to the tv with optical outputs to me new / used receiver. Now I have to question what's more important...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PakZX3 /forum/post/19557445

When are you planning on purchasing?

Yes, HDMI and Optical will stick around. They are digital audio/video connections that will continue to be used.

No, prices won't change. Just like anything, older versions will drop in price and newer components will be market priced accordingly.

Whenever the new gaming systems arrive, Which can be as early as 2012, and as late as 2014 (though I might wait it out). Sorry if that sounds weird, But as I mentioned above, this is more of a patch, since my tv speakers suck due to game mode forcing crappy options when it comes to sound.

Think by then I could get a HTIAB with HDMI ins in my price range, or am I screwed alltogether like I think I probably am

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
This is one of the cheapest I found that has what you're looking for. It's just shy of $500. Since your gaming system will probably have a bluray player built in, why not get a cheap receiver and some cheap speakers? That'll cost you about the same as a really cheap HTIB and probably sound a lot better.

http://about.pricegrabber.com/search...st=product_tab

·
Registered
125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincorgi /forum/post/19558150

Whenever the new gaming systems arrive, Which can be as early as 2012, and as late as 2014 (though I might wait it out). Sorry if that sounds weird, But as I mentioned above, this is more of a patch, since my tv speakers suck due to game mode forcing crappy options when it comes to sound.

Think by then I could get a HTIAB with HDMI ins in my price range, or am I screwed alltogether like I think I probably am

Why not purchase in stages? There's no point in trying to figure out when the next gaming systems will come out, especially since microsoft just released Kinect for the newly designed 360. If you purchase in stages, then you'll get much better equipment then trying to purchase a receiver and speakers for $250. I can tell you that $250 is hardly going to get you a decent receiver, let alone speakers to go along with it.

I guess I don't understand why you keep questioning HDMI and optical either.

If I were you, I'd purchase a receiver first. That way the TV isn't dictacting which sound mode it should be in. Then add the Left/Right channel with a subwoofer, then center channel, then surrounds.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PakZX3 /forum/post/19558909

Why not purchase in stages? There's no point in trying to figure out when the next gaming systems will come out, especially since microsoft just released Kinect for the newly designed 360. If you purchase in stages, then you'll get much better equipment then trying to purchase a receiver and speakers for $250. I can tell you that $250 is hardly going to get you a decent receiver, let alone speakers to go along with it.

I guess I don't understand why you keep questioning HDMI and optical either.

If I were you, I'd purchase a receiver first. That way the TV isn't dictacting which sound mode it should be in. Then add the Left/Right channel with a subwoofer, then center channel, then surrounds.

Okay, I guess I'll try that...

And the reason I keep asking about HDMI, Is just because I'd like to know if I could even get a HDMI in thing around my price.

What are some other things around my price? My room is small, And I don't need excelent quality, Just something that's fairly loud, If it was up to me, I wouldn't get this stuff, But my crappy TV speakers are kinda forcing me to...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts