AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better, Optical Digital input to the reciever or Coax Digital into the reciever?

IS anyone using digital sound cards in their HTPC? If so which brand/model?

Thanks!

Wu-

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's exactly the same. It's just a way of getting the digital signal from the source to the receiver. They both don't change the signal, so the endresults are exactly alike.

The only difference afaik is the price. The optical cables are much more expensive.

I use the coaxial cable with my Audigy and it works perfectly. I use the optical input for my XBox.

·
Registered
262 Posts
On the whole, coax is cheaper (you can use anything electrically conductive with 2 RCA plugs on the ends) and more flexible. Considering you can scare up a patch cable whilst rummaging around the house, it's practically free.

As far as moving audio information from point A to point B, they perform identically.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thanks for the info guys, I had thought the optical was better and was unaware that they are identically the same as far as output.. I will see if I can find one of my high-quality audio interconnects that I used to have in my car system.. If im not that lucky to find it, ill make my own cable out of coax..

Thanks

Frank-

·
Registered
249 Posts
The only hassle is that there are no easily found (cough-radioshack-cough) RCA connectors that crimp onto RG-6 coax, so you have to use a regular Coax connector and then an adapter to RCA. Cost me about $10 to make a 30' cable.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quote:
I will see if I can find one of my high-quality audio interconnects that I used to have in my car system
You can use the one that came with your VCR. We're talking ones and zeroes, works or doesn't. Buying a $40 "audiophile quality" digital audio cable does zilch to increase (or affect) performance and negates the biggest advantage coax has over optical -- price.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KaiZas
It's exactly the same. It's just a way of getting the digital signal from the source to the receiver. They both don't change the signal, so the endresults are exactly alike.

The only difference afaik is the price. The optical cables are much more expensive.

I use the coaxial cable with my Audigy and it works perfectly. I use the optical input for my XBox.
They are not exactly the same -- optical has one significant difference in that it can not be used to cause a ground loop between components so it may help with HUM issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.