AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Very much a newbie in the forum so take it easy on me!

Have a home cinema audio related problem.. and i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this stuff.

Am after getting a new surround sound system and would like to hook it up to my XBOX - so i've to buy one of these fancy advanced scart-cables with an optical cable to output the sound from the XBOX.

But my realised my surround system does not have an optical in... it simply has two sections - 'Audio In' and 'Audio Out'. Both with 6 inputs for RCA Plugs (Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right, Center and Woofer). I realise 'Audio Out' is for the actual speakers which means i need six connections for the 'Audio In'.

Bit of a longshot but any way around this? Is there any plug capable of converting the optical-in into a 6 plug RCA type system? I think a decoder would do it also but they're not exactly cheap so a cheaper alternative would be preferable.

My girlfriend bought me the surround sound system for me and she's very proud of it and i'd hate to tell her there's not much i can do with it so even analog sound coming outta the system would do, though digital would be preferable.

Many thanks in advance all!

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
23,648 Posts
Perhaps if you provided the make/model# of the surround sound system, someone can provide a solution/recommendation.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
You're not going to find the cable you're looking for. The optical cable would normally carry an encoded digital signal whereas the 6 RCA are decoded analog signals. Usually anything that has a 6 channel analog input would also have digital inputs - both optical and coax. Are you sure there isn't an optical input? What about a coax digital input - the optical can be converted to the coax.

Ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/0

Perhaps if you provided the make/model# of the surround sound system, someone can provide a solution/recommendation.

It's the H&B SH-155 (can't post a link to it but google it and you'll find it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb /forum/post/0

You're not going to find the cable you're looking for. The optical cable would normally carry an encoded digital signal whereas the 6 RCA are decoded analog signals. Usually anything that has a 6 channel analog input would also have digital inputs - both optical and coax. Are you sure there isn't an optical input? What about a coax digital input - the optical can be converted to the coax.

Ed

Nope.. the only connections at the back are the 6 RCA with audio-in.

So there's absolutely nothing i can do?! Anything to get even passable sound?

·
Registered
450 Posts
He doesn't have any digital inputs, because he doesn't have a reciever/pre/pro. The H&B is an amplifier and speaker combo. In order to use your speakers with a digital source, you would need a preamp/processor. It would decode the XBOX's output and have RCA's for each input on your speakers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoldier /forum/post/0

He doesn't have any digital inputs, because he doesn't have a reciever/pre/pro. The H&B is an amplifier and speaker combo. In order to use your speakers with a digital source, you would need a preamp/processor. It would decode the XBOX's output and have RCA's for each input on your speakers.

Cheers lostsoldier.

Any links to some moderately priced ones?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Pre/Pro's, are usually more expensive than recievers(preamp/processor with built in amp). It can be done and since you want to keep the speaker/amp combo you have, I don't have links, but a Midiland ADS 4000 would work. Another option to keep costs down is to find a receiver that allows you to use an external amp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.