AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Runco IDP 900, rebadged pg6. I increased its rastor size to maximize phosphor usage. Everything is fine and don't have any problems but focus at the image sides is not as good as in the center. This isn't anything new. I made these changes years ago and just live with it but it is not disruptive to enjoying a movie.

Two considerations are: 1) Dynamic focus circuitry is being stressed more due the wider rastor, and 2) light rays are passing through the lenses at steeper angles as they near the lenses' outer diameter. I am curious if anyone has some thoughts on which of these two effects is the most responsible for edge focus performance.

Dennis

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

Lenses generally perform better in the center versus the edges. I do not have experience with your projector, but fussy alignment of stig, flare, and zone focus would minimize the problems. If the projectors' lenses were correctly focussed at installation, which should be preceded by lengthy warmup, then there is nothing in the lenses that would drift.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
If by optical focus you mean mechanical focus...the only way it could fail is if the lense fall off the pj :)

Have you ever done the mechanical lense adjustment??? I would use the word, but I can't spell it...Shimephlug...something like that (I suppose that's the phonetic spelling)...I can do it, I just can't spell it.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
S-C-H-E-I-M-P-F-L-U-G.

It's Deutsch.

If you can't pronounce it, just call it the "SauerKraut' Adjustment

(With a name like Curt Palme, you can guess the origin, and I'm allowed to get away with a comment like this..;-)

Curt

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Thanks Curt...I think you've spelled this for me before...eventually I'll remember it...Scheimpflug...Scheimpflug...Scheimpflug...

·
Registered
551 Posts
gesundheit!

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
If that does'nt work you can think about getting your focus just duckie by adjusting your flapping.

Chip S.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are a real hoot----flappy your duckie. Really, now!!

I have done the astig adjustments and Scheimpflug although the PG6 doesn't have any adjustments for it. You have to use shims. For what it's worth I am ISF certified.

Since I can't find a spot either in front of, or behind, my screen where the edge come into good focus I can only assume either I am going beyond the lenses' design limits or the dynamic portion of the electromagnetic focusing circuitry can't swing the horizontal parabola signal far enough.

Dennis

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just look at the phosphor without the lenses on, if it unsharp on the phosphor, it is your electrical focus.

Don't forget you sunglasses or use the dot patern

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.